Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Landlord Bullying Me into Applying for UC  (Read 3068 times)

• Liked: 55
Landlord Bullying Me into Applying for UC
« on: April 10, 2020, 12:28:50 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone has had any update on UC applications as most of us are aware that we are not allowed public funds. Despite my husband repeatedly telling our landlord that I am not allowed public funds, her and her husband are under the impression that  I will be granted them, or think they know better. I've applied for UC nonetheless so that I can prove to my landlord that we have made the necessary steps etc.  particularly as I have a feeling she will try to push us out. I have put everything in writing to prepare. We have also contacted our council, citizens advice and have been in contact with renter organisations about our rights.

They have been constantly harassing my husband to do simulations so that we don't have to wait for an answer from Universal Credit. We have asked them for a reduction in our rent they've had over a months notice as our rent is due on the 20th (we paid in full on the 20th as they refused to help). Our landlord has been made aware of my visa status and how we have already been supplementing my husbands income with our savings throughout this past year due to multiple cancer diagnostics (one as recent as February). I had to leave my job contract in January due to my employers growing frustrated with my constantly being ill and refused to let me work from home. I was due to start a new work contract the week of the lockdown that cannot be completed from home.

She refuses to seek government help or apply for a mortgage holiday as it will impact her future ability to invest. She also mentioned how she will not put her family in jeopardy by us not paying her in full and that her account was overdrawn. She owns a £1.5m home in Buckinghamshire and 3-4 other flats in the UK  (more in NZ) and both her and her husband are both fully employed so will receive a salary or furloughed grant. Our flat is most likely not mortgaged as it was purchased for £85k back in 1995 and under a freehold.  Its sad that people who quite obviously have way more resources than us and 20 years older are treating us like this when we have always paid our rent on time and in full without help from our family or the government. I was hoping at this time that people would be more generous.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Landlord Bullying Me into Applying for UC
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 12:50:46 PM »
You need to make sure a universal credit is done in your husbands name ONLY.  Otherwise you will screw your visa status.  Sounds like it’s time to move, I’m afraid.

I hope things become easier for you.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 01:52:54 PM »
They cannot currently evict you, but you also cannot apply for UC. I'm sorry they are causing so much additional stress. It does sound like planning to move when the crisis is over would be the best plan, and try to work out a payment plan in the meantime based on what you can afford. Don't go without food because of a terrible landlord!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 342
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 11:16:43 AM »
She owns a £1.5m home in Buckinghamshire and 3-4 other flats in the UK  (more in NZ) and both her and her husband are both fully employed so will receive a salary or furloughed grant. Our flat is most likely not mortgaged as it was purchased for £85k back in 1995 and under a freehold. 

They might have a lot of mortgage debt on their properties. Often LLs will remortgage to withdraw capiltal from a property. You can check if there is a morgage on your home by downloading the deeds for £3 in England and Wales.
https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land/search-the-register

Some buy-to-let mortgages have a LTV clause, which means that if the LTV drops below that marker, the mortgage must be repaid.

Some mortgage companies already want a higher deposit for a remortgage with them, in anticipation of a house price fall.

I'm sure it's a worrying time for those with a morgage too especially if they have high mortgage debts.

They don't have to give you a rent reduction, but if you give notice and then leave, they will have a rent void. They might not be able to get another tenant for months and might have to take a lower rent anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-support-available-for-landlords-and-renters-reflecting-the-current-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 11:20:58 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 11:38:26 AM »
I've applied for UC nonetheless

As said, you must not take Public Funds as that is a breach of your visa. If your husband can take Public Funds and is low income and has savings/capital below 16k, doesn't own property that he isn't living in (in any country) then he can have the Universal Credit benefit, but he cannot take extra benefit money for you.
e.g. for the housing element of Universal Credit, if he is below the age of 35, that will only be the Shared Room rate (less his income, savings etc). He cannot take the higher couple rate as you must not take Public Funds.

so that I can prove to my landlord that we have made the necessary steps etc.  particularly as I have a feeling she will try to push us out.

Only the court can tell you to leave. That can take months as LL has to send you notice (and ensure this has been worded/applied correctly, or they have to start again) then apply to the court. You can pay some off the rent owed to invalidate that claim and then the landlord has to start again. You have the right to attend that hearing too, to ask to stay in the property for longer ( there are organisations that will advise you on this) and that might be granted.

But in the end, even many months later, the courts will eventually allow the LL (or the lender if the property is being repossessed) to have the property back.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 11:43:07 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 01:40:24 PM »
Thanks for your responses! Needed the letter from UC to prove to my landlord that I'm not allowed funds and its mandatory for us to apply jointly despite knowing we are going to get denied anyways :)

• Liked: 70
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 06:15:37 PM »
Did you receive a letter telling you that you aren't eligible?

I used to help my clients apply for benefits and some would receive benefits even though they weren't eligible.  The system just wouldn't catch it, I don't even know that it was supposed to catch it, and they get money...until the government would suddenly ask for it all back.  Please don't assume the system is a smart one and will automatically reject you if you shouldn't be in receipt of a benefit.  It could cause some serious trouble later on.  I hope for your sake that you just get a rejection letter.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 07:13:16 PM »

I did get the letter! I sent it over to my landlord since she didn’t believe me. I also had multiple phone conversations with them over the phone about my visa type etc.

Did you receive a letter telling you that you aren't eligible?

I used to help my clients apply for benefits and some would receive benefits even though they weren't eligible.  The system just wouldn't catch it, I don't even know that it was supposed to catch it, and they get money...until the government would suddenly ask for it all back.  Please don't assume the system is a smart one and will automatically reject you if you shouldn't be in receipt of a benefit.  It could cause some serious trouble later on.  I hope for your sake that you just get a rejection letter.

Sponsored Links