Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Stimulus money?  (Read 9880 times)

• Liked: 24
Re: Stimulus money?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »
Did use use the paid Tax Act or free file? Just curious, Ive been using the paid up till now. I have always used my UK mobile number and maybe that's why I was unable to e-file. Maybe I'll try to use my mom's number and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I tried using the free file, but it told me I had to pay something like $44.95 in order to file.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

30/10/2019: Submitted online application for spouse visa
08/11/2019: Biometrics taken
09/12/2019: Passport received via UPS. Approved!
30/12/2019: Arrived in UK
04/09/2022: Submitted online application for FLR(M)
01/10/2022: Biometric Appointment

• Liked: 718
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2020, 05:01:01 PM »
What did you end up using to e-file? I've used Tax Act in the past, but it never let me e-file, only mail in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I used TurboTax.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 55
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2020, 05:54:43 PM »
Can you buy Turbo Tax on line here in the UK without having a US address or US phone number?

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2020, 08:35:20 PM »
Can you buy Turbo Tax on line here in the UK without having a US address or US phone number?

I don’t know about TurboTax online. I maintain an Amex card with US phone number (Skype) and my daughter’s address as the correspondence address. With it I buy the download version of TT as I like to run various scenarios to minimize taxes, plus my son uses it to file his US taxes. (The download version allows up to 5(?) filings)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2020, 10:52:18 PM »
Yes but you need a US credit card or debit card.

I had to borrow my ex husbands card.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2020, 09:04:11 AM »
I’ve only got 2 more years I can efile with TurboTax. Once SS starts it is only taxable in the UK so I will have to file form 8833 to claim a treaty position and TurboTax doesn’t even have that form in its library, so I will have to prepare the taxes, print them out then download and complete form 8833 and mail in the return.

• Liked: 45
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »
I’ve only got 2 more years I can efile with TurboTax. Once SS starts it is only taxable in the UK so I will have to file form 8833 to claim a treaty position and TurboTax doesn’t even have that form in its library, so I will have to prepare the taxes, print them out then download and complete form 8833 and mail in the return.

Looks like an exception to 8833:

'That a treaty reduces or modifies the taxation of income derived by an individual from dependent personal services, pensions, annuities, social security, and other public pensions, as well as income derived by artists, athletes, students, trainees, or teachers;'.

• Liked: 70
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2020, 09:07:41 AM »
The link to check your stimulus money should have the street address used on your last tax return ,  and it does say that it accepts a post code if you live overseas.

Hm, we just checked this and used the UK address used on the last few files, and this says it doesn't match the info they have on file.

We tried entering then the last US address and it came up with this message:

Quote from: IRS
Please Try Again Later
We are unable to provide you with the status of your payment or perform the action requested because:

The tax return information you entered does not match our records; or
You have already accessed the system the maximum number of times today.
Please come back after 24 hours and try again.
If you need additional help, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Although we don't have a US bank account any more, we do have a dollar account based in the UK which has an IBAN. Not sure if that can be used, or where to even go with it from here ... or if there's a time limit. Erk!

Edit: as we didn't provide an account on the tax return (my wife's return is pretty much empty anyway), perhaps this part of the FAQ (https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center)applies, and we just sit tight for a few weeks.:

Quote from: IRS
Q27. What if I don’t have a bank account?

A27. We will mail your Payment to the address we have on file for you. This is generally the address on your most recent tax return or as updated through the United States Postal Service (USPS).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 09:10:24 AM by biscuits »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2020, 10:32:11 AM »
Does anyone know the format we need to use to enter our addresses on the Get My Payment website? I’ve tried every variation of my address I can think of and can’t get it to work,

For both 2018 and 2019, in the box labelled “home address” on the 1040, all I have entered is my building name. In the “apt no” box, I entered my flat number, which is two digits and no slash. For the postcode I entered the space.

On the website, I’ve tried “XX House”, “12 XX House” “XX House 12” with my postcode both with and without the space to no success.

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »
Does anyone know the format we need to use to enter our addresses on the Get My Payment website? I’ve tried every variation of my address I can think of and can’t get it to work,

For both 2018 and 2019, in the box labelled “home address” on the 1040, all I have entered is my building name. In the “apt no” box, I entered my flat number, which is two digits and no slash. For the postcode I entered the space.

On the website, I’ve tried “XX House”, “12 XX House” “XX House 12” with my postcode both with and without the space to no success.
It isn't working for a large number of people. Not just expats. It is just a buggy application.

• Liked: 24
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2020, 11:04:45 PM »
Hopefully it will be getting fixed. I saw that it will be down for maintenance at certain times the next few days.

I also found out that if you owed the IRS in 2018 and 2019, they cannot use the info you paid with to deposit your stimulus check. So I guess I will be receiving a paper check unless they fix their site and I am able to put my American bank account information in. People who neither owed nor received a refund on their taxes are probably going through the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

30/10/2019: Submitted online application for spouse visa
08/11/2019: Biometrics taken
09/12/2019: Passport received via UPS. Approved!
30/12/2019: Arrived in UK
04/09/2022: Submitted online application for FLR(M)
01/10/2022: Biometric Appointment

• Liked: 6
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2020, 07:26:02 PM »
I had been getting the payment status not available message until yesterday. Now it's telling me, "The information you have entered does not match our records. Please try again." I am entering in my address correctly. Beyond frustrating and nothing at all I can do about it, with no explanation on why I am now getting the different message, especially when I am entering in my correct address.; 

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2020, 07:29:28 PM »
I had been getting the payment status not available message until yesterday. Now it's telling me, "The information you have entered does not match our records. Please try again." I am entering in my address correctly. Beyond frustrating and nothing at all I can do about it, with no explanation on why I am now getting the different message, especially when I am entering in my correct address.;
If you didn't get a direct deposit you will get a paper check. They will be sent out in phases, weekly, starting next week,  depending on what your adjusted income is. 

• Liked: 6
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2020, 07:53:41 PM »
If they don't have my correct information on file then I won't get sent a check or it will get sent to the wrong address. I have checked my taxes and I did enter in the correct information. By the time I am able to reach someone from the IRS it may be too late to do anything about it or I could have to go through all kinds of circles trying to get things cleared up. I have tried what I can with the get my payment site and it just now keeps saying
I have entered in the incorrect information.

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2020, 10:16:32 PM »
If they don't have my correct information on file then I won't get sent a check or it will get sent to the wrong address. I have checked my taxes and I did enter in the correct information. By the time I am able to reach someone from the IRS it may be too late to do anything about it or I could have to go through all kinds of circles trying to get things cleared up. I have tried what I can with the get my payment site and it just now keeps saying
I have entered in the incorrect information.
Did you file your tax return this year?

Sponsored Links