Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: PPE  (Read 5849 times)

• Liked: 679
PPE
« on: April 19, 2020, 06:10:25 PM »
So.... people have sewing machines. Old sheets are relatively cheap. Cotton can be boiled in laundry, just as sheets are.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/43276846394771882/

it would be a lot of sheets, yes. But better than nothing for someone, somewhere, no?

• Liked: 958
Re: PPE
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 06:21:52 PM »
So.... people have sewing machines. Old sheets are relatively cheap. Cotton can be boiled in laundry, just as sheets are.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/43276846394771882/

it would be a lot of sheets, yes. But better than nothing for someone, somewhere, no?
There are already huge efforts underway with volunteers sewing scrubs. They're receiving the already cut material and then sewing. :) Most of that organising is going on with the local councils and on Facebook.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 08:50:22 PM »
They need to advertise that better!

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 09:13:40 PM »

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:59:19 AM »
Who actually reads the Guardian?  ;) ;)

They need to get it on the radio talk shows, and the tv talk shows.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 10:59:55 AM »
Who actually reads the Guardian?  ;) ;)

They need to get it on the radio talk shows, and the tv talk shows.

I think the main takeaway is that all the things you believe are not being done ARE in fact being done.  It’s fine that you choose to limit your information from a very specific news source.  But you are missing a hell of a lot. 

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »
Ok. Because I'm tired and my BS-repellent filter is already full, I'll just lob this out and then leave it:

What I see in the Guardian article is a "feel good" piece that highlights a small, scattered movement - a journalistic effort designed to give people something positive to think about. ;)  It's right up there with banging pots and pans every Thursday to keep up morale. Very nice.  Keeps things positive for people, which is entirely more tolerable than dealing with constant negatives.

I have no doubt that the scrubs being created by the groups in the article are very much appreciated, but it's not enough or the NHS front-liners wouldn't be working in gear that I would think unsuitable for anything more serious than kiddie finger-painting and putting their lives at risk for it.  Again, if this was a serious "movement" the NHS would be highlighting it, begging for it to expand, rather than trying to scrounge materials from overseas that they stand a good chance of being outbid for.

While a lot of people seem to spend a lot of time posting entirely too much personal information and too many photos featuring themselves on Facebook in a quest for emotional validation (  ;)  ), and while they may or may not run across info on sewing scrubs, there are bound to be many more people who do not spend a lot (or any) time there who also have the available equipment and skill. Perhaps it hasn't occurred to them to go searching for info on how to do it. Perhaps they think there's something "special" about scrubs that mean they have to be produced by experts.  (There's a lot of that here, it seems.)

What I would LIKE to see is a concerted, national (or Island-wide) public relations blitz in the mainstream media. A recruitment drive. A seriously coordinated effort to churn out the items at massive scale.  If there are no factories in this country manufacturing PPE (of the sewn variety) piecework shops could easily be up and running in relatively short order - much as piecework shops existed 100 years ago - since the sewers already have their own equipment.

There needs to be a centralized (or, regionalized, it doesn't matter) entity that sources the materials. If there's some way to pre-cut them in bulk, as they do in commercial garment factories, that'd be good. And a distribution network to take said pre-cuts to the seamsters and then pick up the product. The NHS already have the commercial-grade laundries available to sanitize them after repeated use.

Surely there are some now unemployed or underemployed logistics chain types who could set this up?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 04:10:29 PM »
Burberry and Barbour are just two brands that have switched to making gowns for the NHS.  I know there have been many more.

Car manufacturers (many F1 factories) were given a detailed design by the government for a respirator and started manufacturing designs within days and had delivered thousands in the first week.

I’m truly amazed that these stories come as a surprise to you.  I avoid as much as I can about everything Coronavirus related but I knew to be clapping for the NHS and the massive pivot numerous UK based companies have made.

What happened Nan?  You used to absolutely love it here and used to speak so negatively about the USA.  You have now had a complete 180 and see nothing but the negative in the UK.  What happened that you haven’t told us?  I hate that you are so miserable living here and would love to do anything I can to help.  I’m sure the delay in returning t9 the US isn’t helping but if there is something you are missing from “home” we might be able to help.  Hugs!  We want happy Nan back.   :D

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 04:35:01 PM »
My very brief thoughts on a national push for volunteers to make PPE - that would require the government to admit they can't do their jobs. It will never happen. Journalists are calling them out left right and center and every company that can pivot has, and where there is a local need the calls have gone out by healthcare trusts/councils (because they are funded and managed at the local level and will all have different needs).

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 768
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 09:28:59 PM »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 10:03:20 PM »

I have no doubt that the scrubs being created by the groups in the article are very much appreciated, but it's not enough or the NHS front-liners wouldn't be working in gear that I would think unsuitable for anything more serious than kiddie finger-painting and putting their lives at risk for it.  Again, if this was a serious "movement" the NHS would be highlighting it, begging for it to expand, rather than trying to scrounge materials from overseas that they stand a good chance of being outbid for.

While there is a lot I would say in response to this, I'm on mobile and i'm too tired to say beyond this:

There ARE serious movements coming directly from the NHS. They are being posted on more local NHS pages as the needs are different in different areas, and so are rules of what can and can't be accepted. Here is a good example: http://www.dgft.nhs.uk/making-scrubs-for-our-hospital-staff/

It IS being reported outside of social media. I am not going to go and find the clips and paste them here but it's easily found on BBC and on Metro's websites (as much as i dislike Metro) as well as the daily mail, the evening standard, the guardian  (which is also a newspaper not just a website), the independent (etc etc etc).  If i'm finding it on their websites easily, i can't imagine it would be left out of their hardcopies (or TV air spots in the instance of the BBC). Major news outlets are covering and the local NHSs are putting out calls for scrubs. At some point, if people want to contribute and find some way to help, they need only do a quick google search. If they truly have no internet and aren't too elderly (which would likely make it more difficult for them to contribute in that instance), they can find out via newspapers or watching segments on BBC or other programming. Or, if they are involved in their local community or church, they can see what their social groups are doing and if they know of any ways to help. If all else fails (which i sincerely doubt if they are truly looking to help - where there's a will there's a way, as they say), they can call their local councils to ask for resources. If they have no phone, they are going to find it extremely difficult to contact those needing the help in the first place so in those instances, their heart might be in the right place, but unfortunately they will have hit a dead end most likely (and that will be very rare casws). The info is out there and it's not hidden or terribly hard to find - internet or not.

At some point, people have to be accountable for their own knowledge, as harsh as that sounds. A person can't just sit back and wait if they are wanting to contribute and/or be more informed. Apologies for being blunt if that sounds rude, but it will take even the most basic amount of work on the individual's side of the fence.

Just my 2p, not that it means much outside of being a bit ranty and more than i intended to post from my phone lol

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 08:53:10 AM »
Car manufacturers (many F1 factories) were given a detailed design by the government for a respirator and started manufacturing designs within days and had delivered thousands in the first week.
Seems like I have read that these efforts weren't as successful as first thought.  My understanding is that the Dyson thing was BS from the beginning and won't be delivered anytime soon.  No surprise there from tax dodging ass hole Dyson.   Other designs have some problems and haven't been used that much since we actually seem to have enough regular ventilators for the moment.  I haven't heard anything negative about the CPAP machine (Mercedes?) but I think that was based on an existing design and CPAP is way less complicated than a ventilator. 

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 09:04:01 AM »
Speaking of feel good but essentially useless efforts , I've had my NHS volunteer app on for 96 hours now and have only gotten 2 requests for help.  Both were from the same lady who thinks she might need someone to shop for her in the future but right now she's just bored.  I keep getting emails from the NHS saying that someday soon they are going to ask us to do something. 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 09:12:31 AM »
Speaking of feel good but essentially useless efforts , I've had my NHS volunteer app on for 96 hours now and have only gotten 2 requests for help.  Both were from the same lady who thinks she might need someone to shop for her in the future but right now she's just bored.  I keep getting emails from the NHS saying that someday soon they are going to ask us to do something.
I definitely don't think it's useless. It's better to have volunteers at the ready and not need them than to scramble for them after the fact when it becomes dire. I think, if anything, it's a slightly positive sign that they haven't needed you as of yet. When you start getting regular requests, that's when things will have gotten pretth bad, surely?

I don't know, maybe I'm just drinking the koolaid and am missing a bigger picture lol I'm usually "glass half empty" so maybe I'm just not fully processing things in the way the majority seems to be.  Surprising myself with my lack of cynicism some days hah

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
I definitely don't think it's useless. It's better to have volunteers at the ready and not need them than to scramble for them after the fact when it becomes dire. I think, if anything, it's a slightly positive sign that they haven't needed you as of yet. When you start getting regular requests, that's when things will have gotten pretth bad, surely?

I don't know, maybe I'm just drinking the koolaid and am missing a bigger picture lol I'm usually "glass half empty" so maybe I'm just not fully processing things in the way the majority seems to be.  Surprising myself with my lack of cynicism some days hah

You are right, useless is maybe a bit strong of a word.  I hadn't thought that silence just means that we are all coping.   

Sponsored Links