Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: PPE  (Read 5832 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: PPE
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 09:53:11 AM »
You are right, useless is maybe a bit strong of a word.  I hadn't thought that silence just means that we are all coping.   
May also depend on location as well. If you're in a more densely populated area (which i believe you might be if i remember correctly), there might be higher risk of people impacted but also potentially more resources available to them compared to some place a bit more rural? Might be talking shite though, my brain is mush today (not finished my first coffee yet and engineers are talking technical to me LOL)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 342
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 10:20:25 AM »
I definitely don't think it's useless. It's better to have volunteers at the ready and not need them than to scramble for them after the fact when it becomes dire. I think, if anything, it's a slightly positive sign that they haven't needed you as of yet. When you start getting regular requests, that's when things will have gotten pretth bad, surely?

The same with the new Nightingal hospital in London, built in 9 days for 4,000 coroanvirus patients, but some some papers were reporting four days ago that it only had 20 patients. If needed, it's ready.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:25:01 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 10:22:21 AM »
The same with the new Nightingal hospital in London, built in 9 days for 4,000 coroanvirus patients, but some some papers were reporting four days ago that it only had 20 patients. If needed, it's ready.
Yeah and i heard the first patient or 2 that was there has already been sent home, which is really lovely news.

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 10:28:30 AM »
Yeah and i heard the first patient or 2 that was there has already been sent home, which is really lovely news.

They seem to be using the councils to get free food parcels out to the vunerable in their areas, if they don't have neighbours or family to get food for them. Most supermarkets seem to be dedicating their first half hour/hour evey day, to those of state pension age.

My local butcher, that was always empty when I went in, now opens 7 days and week and has a queue.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:35:57 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 10:31:38 AM »
They seem to be using the councils to get free food parcels out to the vunerbale in their areas, if they don't have neighbours or family to get food for them.
Yeah, agree. That's why i think once requests come through regularly, it'll be bad news and too late to start assembling volunteers as it'll likely be the point at which everything set up by govt has failed. It'll be the point where councils and nhs themselves and the local programmes set up can no longer cope because of how bad it will have gotten. Hoping we don't see that point though.

My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 10:51:48 AM »
You are right KoD, I can see the other volunteers around me and they are everywhere.  The only call I got was from a lady almost on the same street. 

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 10:53:10 AM »
You are right KoD, I can see the other volunteers around me and they are everywhere.  The only call I got was from a lady almost on the same street.
It's nice to hear though that so many people have volunteered :)

My, how time flies....

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 10:55:25 AM »
I wonder if maybe this is all winding down, at least for Europe and the US?  Florida did just about everything possible to get everyone infected and has (if what I read is not too out of date) about 500 deaths.  Georgia is re-opening tattoo parlours and hair dressers and we had something like 500 deaths yesterday.   I'm not sure what to think really.  Maybe it will all be manageable in the end. 

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2020, 10:57:53 AM »
I think it's only slowing down because of the lockdown. I don't think georgia or any states should be opening up just yet but that's just my opinion. Not a medical expert in the slightest so my opinion really doesn't mean much. Wondering what those working in medical fields think?

My, how time flies....

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2020, 11:14:57 AM »
Seems like I have read that these efforts weren't as successful as first thought.  My understanding is that the Dyson thing was BS from the beginning and won't be delivered anytime soon.  No surprise there from tax dodging ass hole Dyson.   Other designs have some problems and haven't been used that much since we actually seem to have enough regular ventilators for the moment.  I haven't heard anything negative about the CPAP machine (Mercedes?) but I think that was based on an existing design and CPAP is way less complicated than a ventilator.

I knew from the beginning this wasn't going to work. They were acting like was war time building weapons of war (intended to kill people), but when you're making medical products ,you're trying to make people live.

Making medical products  takes time, clinical trials,  medical device regulations, GxP, and quality system requirements to adhere to, supply chain logistics, supplier qualification requirements, human factors, labelling,risk management, and regulatory submissions.   Ventilators are FDA Class II devices (moderate to high risk)  and Class II b in the UK  and require clinical trials.

So starting from scratch was never going to work. Seems like the industry also thought so:
https://www.nsmedicaldevices.com/analysis/uk-ventilator-regulation-coronavirus/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51909812?fbclid=IwAR1l1jN_yfO8Ea1FOmVKZHXgahOz39hM5YEAV3bv5njUKZ3VGwRYDsoR-Dg
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51914490?fbclid=IwAR2-ejUjUSaLT_-6d55LQ2JZ9ojz2T_4znqzETT2VlRBapQ-lhFC1i9kNOc

Contract manufacturers from existing ventilator companies works a bit,but still time to set up.  But just getting on a ventilator doesn't mean that someone survives, unfortunately  :\\\'(

My own company has been making face shields. I have a friend who works for a social enterprise company in London and they have been making scrubs like mad. Lots of small local newspapers have reported all kinds of stories , but even on big media, there are lots of asks/'feel good' stories on all kinds of media:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-52353499
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-derbyshire-52359669/coronavirus-care-home-residents-make-ppe-for-staff
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/nhs-boss-burberry-make-gowns-coronavirus-ppe-a4416646.html
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/fashion/fashion-news/a32204761/queens-couturier-to-make-personal-protective-equipment-for-nhs-staff/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52125800
https://www.hsj.co.uk/coronavirus/nhs-appeals-to-diy-shops-for-protective-equipment/7027202.article
https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/urgent-appeal-for-ppe-donations-in-scotland-launched-to-save-nhs-lives/
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »
Please tell me more about how you you guys are making visors.  Are you using injection moulding?  What are you doing for the clear bits?  Elastic bits?  Disinfection?  What design? 
I always figured it was probably silly for 3d printers to be making visors when they could be made in the millions by a proper plastic factory.  I think the only thing the 3d printers had to offer was getting visors in the hands of GPs in days rather than weeks.  With this in mind, I'm a bit reluctant to participate in the mass efforts I've seen going.  Me and another guy gave our GP about 40 visors and she's given them out to various doctors and hospitals but I don't think she needs more right now. 

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 11:53:53 AM »
I think it's only slowing down because of the lockdown. I don't think georgia or any states should be opening up just yet but that's just my opinion. Not a medical expert in the slightest so my opinion really doesn't mean much. Wondering what those working in medical fields think?

Definitely interested in hearing what the experts think.  Like you, I'm not so interested in hearing about what some armchair epidemiologist thinks.  You know what I have to say about the current face mask controversy?  Nothing, because I don't know squat.  I'll wait for the official guidance and do what they say. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2020, 11:58:34 AM »
No ,we're just assembling them from basic bits and pieces -

The design is right here:

The face shields would be extruded somewhere.  The foam pieces would be injected moulded somewhere too. We're not doing either of these onsite.
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2020, 12:20:51 PM »
No ,we're just assembling them from basic bits and pieces -

The design is right here:

The face shields would be extruded somewhere.  The foam pieces would be injected moulded somewhere too. We're not doing either of these onsite.
That link doesn't work for me because it's sharepoint. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2020, 12:56:31 PM »
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab