Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Short visit to US during Coronavirus restrictions?  (Read 2666 times)

• Liked: 0
Short visit to US during Coronavirus restrictions?
« on: April 26, 2020, 03:13:35 PM »
Hi hope this is correct place to post as a newbie round here. Background: American citizen living in UK, married to UK citizen and now also have British citizenship. As a US citizen I can enter and leave the US any time, and as a UK citizen I can (at least at the moment) enter and leave the UK any time.

Due to personal circumstances I would like to know if it is currently possible to return to the USA for a visit lasting one week. I am aware the CDC advises to stay at home for 14 days following arrival from international travel. Does this mean it is not possible for a US citizen to make a trip lasting less than 14 days duration to the USA right now, even if during their visit they are only going to stay at one address? Surely there must be people who fall into this category - international airline crews for instance?

• Liked: 957
Re: Short visit to US during Coronavirus restrictions?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 03:30:59 PM »
Travel within the UK must be essential, so to even go to the airport the reason for your travel has to be considered essential. I'm not sure that personal circumstances would meet that, and I genuinely don't think a week would allow you to do anything because you should be quarantined for 14 days after being on a plane. Anything you can accomplish in quarantine can likely be done by video call just as well. :( I know this is difficult for everyone, but you probably will need to wait until the pandemic is a bit more controlled before international travel can resume.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 163
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 03:56:19 PM »
Here's a link to the guidance from the State Department about traveling to the US:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information.html

U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents will be permitted to return from the United Kingdom, Ireland, and the European Schengen area. The Department of Homeland Security has issued instructions requiring U.S. passengers that have been in the United Kingdom, Ireland and the Schengen area to travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures. See the our FAQs on the Presidential Proclamation on travel from Europe and  DHS website for further details.

Here's a link to the DHS guidelines for travelling to the US:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/13/department-homeland-security-outlines-new-process-americans-returning-certain

Here's what the UK says:

https://www.visitbritain.com/gb/en/latest-information-covid-19-and-travel-uk

As of 17 March 2020 the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) has advised against all non-essential international travel, initially for a period of 30 days. This advice takes effect immediately.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/travel-advice-foreign-secreatary-statement-17-march-2020

British people who decide that they still need to travel abroad should be fully aware of the increased risks of doing so. That includes the risk that they may not be able to get home, if travel restrictions are put in place. Anyone still considering travel needs to be realistic about the level of disruption they are willing and able to endure, and to make decisions in light of the unprecedented conditions we face.

We are not currently advising British people to immediately return to the UK if they are overseas, except for a few countries detailed in our travel advice. However, British people should keep in mind that flights may be cancelled at short notice or other travel restrictions may be put in place by foreign governments.

If people do want to return to the UK soon, then they need to take account of the fast moving situation and plan accordingly, while flights remain available in many places.

I'm not a lawyer, but the information from both countries seems to be saying you are allowed to travel, as long as you meet their requirements for doing so safely. FWIW, there are flights for sale, so the answer to 'is it possible' seems to be yes. I hope that helps you figure out a solution.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 04:44:00 PM »
You would need to be quarantined for two weeks after travel on both sides of the trip, meaning 4 weeks in isolation.  Finding accommodation for isolation is difficult, unless you live alone of course.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab