Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Quarantine beers/bevvys  (Read 16430 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Quarantine beers/bevvys
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2020, 04:46:07 PM »
There is plenty of process to learn though from 'just add water' - You learn how to clean and sanitise, how to read a hydrometer, how to try and maintain a good brewing temperature (typically need to find a space and keep it at and around 20C),  how to rack off, how to prime for conditioning,  how condition, etc. Plenty to learn in a kit!  Plus you want a good experience and drinkable beer to keep at it  :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2020, 05:08:27 PM »
There is plenty of process to learn though from 'just add water' - You learn how to clean and sanitise, how to read a hydrometer, how to try and maintain a good brewing temperature (typically need to find a space and keep it at and around 20C),  how to rack off, how to prime for conditioning,  how condition, etc. Plenty to learn in a kit!  Plus you want a good experience and drinkable beer to keep at it  :)
Hahaha that is so many things to keep on top of!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 585
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2020, 08:15:32 AM »

part of me feels like cheating to to "add water only" but the other part of me wants a good experience to encourage me to do the second one hahaha.

Every brewer started with a just-add-water kit, I'm sure!  :)
I used to brew, 30 years ago (using kits) and produced some pretty nice heavy (Scottish bitter) and stout.
The only thing I ever made not from a kit was mead.  Pretty labour-intensive, but the end result was amazing.  Everyone got mead for Christmas that year!

« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2020, 08:17:34 AM »
Last night's beers:  Loch Lomond's 'Southern Summit' and Track's 'If Not Now' 8% DIPA.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2020, 08:30:06 AM »
I used to brew, 30 years ago (using kits) and produced some pretty nice heavy (Scottish bitter) and stout.

You get your kits from Boots?
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2020, 08:52:08 AM »
You get your kits from Boots?

I used to, yeah.
I don't know if they still sell them, but back in the day the big Boots in Sauchiehall Street sold kits, plus all the gear like fermenting bins, hydrometers and stuff like that. 

« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2020, 08:57:49 AM »
Just ordered a 5-litre mini-keg of Abbeydale Moonshine (direct from the brewery in Sheffield).  Hope it arrives in time for the weekend!

« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »
Just ordered a 5-litre mini-keg of Abbeydale Moonshine (direct from the brewery in Sheffield).  Hope it arrives in time for the weekend!
Ohhh seen their cans and thought about ordering some as looked good!

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2020, 10:52:04 AM »
Ohhh seen their cans and thought about ordering some as looked good!

I love Abbeydale... they are ubiquitous in Sheffield, where I used to spend a lot of time.
Moonshine is good, as are Deception and Absolution.
There's a special one they do occasionally (not at the moment, though) called Birdhouse Tea Beer, and it is gorgeous.
Not keen on Daily Bread, and don't think I've tried any of the others... simply because Moonshine and Deception are so lovely, so why veer off the path?  ;)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2020, 11:34:51 AM »
Thank you Albatross. You inspired me to see if there are any gluten free mini kegs and there are!  I think my husband will be so happy.  Will be his first draught beer in 5 years!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2020, 11:48:13 AM »
How exciting KFDancer.  How fun that there are so many gluten free beers now!  ;D

We often get mini kegs of Addams Ghost Ship, Caringorm Brewery and Orkney Brewery beers. 

The poor Caringorm Brewery had purchased a listed building and spent years getting it ready ready. Opened an absolutely beautiful cozy pub 1 week before lockdown.  First pub I want to go to once it's all good to do so.
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2020, 12:11:37 PM »
Only thing to be "careful" of is that i think you need to tap them within a 2-3 week period minimum and once tapped, you need to drink within a few days or it loses quality. At least that's what i've understood so i've been reluctant to buy one until we are having a proper session (probably once this is all over! Lol).

I tend to stick with growlers at a push as i know i can drink 2 litres in 1 weekend between 2 of us. There was a 10L bag from Wild Weather i wanted the other day but it was like £50 for the cheapest one and i know it'll end up going off

Albatross - definitely correct me if i'm wrong or if there are some that will be okay as I've always been curious if what i hear is true!

Got a virtual beer tasting for Siren on Friday I'm excited about and then one for Brew York on the 27th! (Waiting for that box of 11 and snacks to show up...). Comes with some pickle thing and i hate pickles if anybody wants them

My, how time flies....

« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2020, 01:50:06 PM »
Only thing to be "careful" of is that i think you need to tap them within a 2-3 week period minimum and once tapped, you need to drink within a few days or it loses quality. At least that's what i've understood so i've been reluctant to buy one until we are having a proper session (probably once this is all over! Lol).

I tend to stick with growlers at a push as i know i can drink 2 litres in 1 weekend between 2 of us. There was a 10L bag from Wild Weather i wanted the other day but it was like £50 for the cheapest one and i know it'll end up going off

Albatross - definitely correct me if i'm wrong or if there are some that will be okay as I've always been curious if what i hear is true!

Oh dear.  :o
I can easily drink 5 litres by myself over a weekend... that's only around 9-10 pints.
So mini-kegs are good value for me, as if you bought that same volume of that beer in cans, it would cost a lot more.
I've never had one go off, because it's no problem for me finishing one myself, but you do need to remember to turn the vent key thingy at the top of the keg between every pour, or it will go flat quickly. 

« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2020, 01:56:41 PM »

Oh dear.  :o
I can easily drink 5 litres by myself over a weekend... that's only around 9-10 pints.
So mini-kegs are good value for me, as if you bought that same volume of that beer in cans, it would cost a lot more.
I've never had one go off, because it's no problem for me finishing one myself, but you do need to remember to turn the vent key thingy at the top of the keg between every pour, or it will go flat quickly.

Agree that i can do it (especially between 2 of us) but there are some weekends where we might only share 3-6 440ml cans between two of us so i worry about it going off. If we were having people around for a sesh, i'd definitely find it more cost effective now to get a mini keg or 2. Was more just mentioning it as i think not everybody would be aware the shelf life isn't as long as you'd think if you're thinking of a keg in thr traditional sense. Might be a total nonissue! Definitely heard that it's okay if you close and open the vent key foe the first few times, but by 4-5, it's likely not going to matter.

When this is all over though, i am definitely getting at leady 1 mini keg 10L bag though  might still be risky!

My, how time flies....

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2020, 01:59:32 PM »
x0Kiss0fDeath, you can actually get C02 injectors that will inject a layer of C02 over the beer and protect it so it lasts longer. They also dispense too.  They use those CO2 bulbs you have there for your pressure barrel

Home brew version

Amazon one

Or even more sophisticated keg dispensers

Must say they don't last too long over a weekend in my house between the two of us!  ;D
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab