Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cashing US Stimulus checks in UK banks  (Read 8242 times)

• Liked: 5
Cashing US Stimulus checks in UK banks
« on: May 05, 2020, 03:08:24 PM »
A few questions on the recent US stimulus checks.  I am a US citizen and have lived in the UK for 25 years.  I have filed US tax returns and FBARs every year.  To my surprise, I found a 1200 USD stimulus check in my UK post today.

It seems this 1200 USD is not taxable in the USA and is not taxable in the UK.  Does anyone have any information that suggests this is incorrect?

I have a UK Barclays bank account though I have never cashed a USD check with them.  I have read on their website that they do cash foreign checks but fees are not mentioned.  Their webpage says you need to go to a branch.  A 2018 Barclays document reveals the cost was 0.25% (16 GBP min, 40 GBP max) for check collection and 0.25% ( 9 GBP min,  60 GBP max) for check negotiation.   

Has anyone tried to cash their USD stimulus checks in their UK bank accounts yet?  If so, was the process straightforward and without hiccups? What was the fee as the above figures are a bit old?

Thanks.

• Liked: 957
Re: Cashing US Stimulus checks in UK banks
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 05:13:10 PM »
If it helps at all, I used the mobile check deposit on my US account and then transferwise for any US checks I've received since moving. It gave a much better exchange rate and no fees beyond the small one for transferwise. Sorry I can't give more info on the Barclays deposit options.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 55
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 07:27:19 PM »
Another member recommended using Transferwise: might be worth a look?

https://transferwise.com/us/multi-currency-account/

• Liked: 45
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:33:33 PM »
Another member recommended using Transferwise: might be worth a look?

https://transferwise.com/us/multi-currency-account/

The account is virtual, so no availability to deposit paper checks. The suggestion that margo gave would seem to be the best and least expensive option.

If you already had a multi currency account, an electronic deposit could have been made, then transferred into your U.K bank if needed. Remember that Transferwise account is not insured, so look at it as a holding point.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:08:32 AM by Barcrest »

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 08:27:21 AM »
The account is virtual, so no availability to deposit paper checks. The suggestion that margo gave would seem to be the best and least expensive option.

If you already had a multi currency account, an electronic deposit could have been made, then transferred into your U.K bank if needed. Remember that Transferwise account is not insured, so look at it as a holding point.

Margo’s suggestion only works if he has a US bank account and after 25 years living in the UK I suspect he doesn’t otherwise he wouldn’t be asking the question.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 12:10:19 PM »
Margo’s suggestion only works if he has a US bank account and after 25 years living in the UK I suspect he doesn’t otherwise he wouldn’t be asking the question.

That's obvious... The tone of the message conveyed was to use mobile check deposit function. Something he/she can't use if no account exists.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 02:03:19 PM »
I plan on keeping mine open indefinitely! But yeah, that was why I only said "if it helps" because some people don't realise their banks have apps with mobile check deposit now. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 5
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 09:29:42 AM »
Update from Barclays regarding this issue of cashing stimulus checks...still a bit vague/evasive on fees even though I asked for the fees as a percentage inline with the 2018 figures I mentioned earlier

"You can visit the branch and deposit the cheque. Branch will check and confirm if cheque will be cleared using Negotiation or collection method. There is a fee which depend on the amount of cheque which branch will confirm. You will need to carry two forms of ID with you."

• Liked: 102
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 05:37:22 PM »
The BBC predicted that cheques would have been abolished in October 2018: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8414341.stm

• Liked: 48
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 11:50:28 AM »
I’m in a similar position. I have a US bank account but can’t download the mobile app to ecash the cheque because it’s only downloadable in the US!

As soon as the cheque arrived I ran to my bank (Nationwide) only to be turned away: “we don’t cash foreign cheques...” lol so now in the process of opening a Barclays account. Hoping the fees aren’t too bad but I don’t really have much choice.... I think Lloyd’s may cash foreign cheques as well.

I called transferwise but they don’t accept cheques. Monzo is planning on accepting them in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Settlement Spouse Visa (Priority)
Online application submitted:  27-March-2018
Biometrics:  30-March-2018
UKVI receipt of application: 16-April-2018
Decision made email: 16-May-2018 22BD
UPS return of passport: 21-May-2018
APPROVED!!!

FLR(M)
Applied online: 13 January 2021
Biometrics/documents scanned & uploaded: 2 February 2021
Decision received: 04 June 2021
Decision: Approved

ILR Set(M) - Super Priority
Applied online: 15 August 2023
Biometrics: 16 August 2023
Decision email: 16 August 2023 - Approved!
BRP Received: 21 August 2023

• Liked: 718
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 01:19:16 PM »
I’m in a similar position. I have a US bank account but can’t download the mobile app to ecash the cheque because it’s only downloadable in the US!

As soon as the cheque arrived I ran to my bank (Nationwide) only to be turned away: “we don’t cash foreign cheques...” lol so now in the process of opening a Barclays account. Hoping the fees aren’t too bad but I don’t really have much choice.... I think Lloyd’s may cash foreign cheques as well.

I called transferwise but they don’t accept cheques. Monzo is planning on accepting them in the future.

Could you not mail the cheque to your US bank for deposit.  I used to do this regularly in the days before mobile apps.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 48
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 01:47:01 PM »
Could you not mail the cheque to your US bank for deposit.  I used to do this regularly in the days before mobile apps.
I hadn’t even thought of that! I’ll give them a call when they open and ask. Would avoid any unnecessary fees. Thank you!

Settlement Spouse Visa (Priority)
Online application submitted:  27-March-2018
Biometrics:  30-March-2018
UKVI receipt of application: 16-April-2018
Decision made email: 16-May-2018 22BD
UPS return of passport: 21-May-2018
APPROVED!!!

FLR(M)
Applied online: 13 January 2021
Biometrics/documents scanned & uploaded: 2 February 2021
Decision received: 04 June 2021
Decision: Approved

ILR Set(M) - Super Priority
Applied online: 15 August 2023
Biometrics: 16 August 2023
Decision email: 16 August 2023 - Approved!
BRP Received: 21 August 2023

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 03:35:10 PM »
I hadn’t even thought of that! I’ll give them a call when they open and ask. Would avoid any unnecessary fees. Thank you!

Yes, I've sent checks back to the US before, my bank has a special address for bank by mail. You might want to pay a bit more and send it by courier just for peace of mind.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 04:53:52 PM »

If you have an iPhone, change to the U.S. Store and you'll be able to download the app. All you'll need is any zip code and can make up all the rest, it doesn't care. Payment card information would be 'NONE'.... I'd guess that the Android Play Store would have a similar method..... I do this all the time traveling U.K and Stateside.... BBC Sounds will not work in the U.S, so I simply change to U.K and presto, the app downloads/updates.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 06:58:07 PM »
I have a US bank account and am able to download the app, however it won't allow me to deposit any checks outside the US. Any options to deposit a US check on paypal or Zelle or some other online/App option that I can then transfer to my US bank account. I really don't want to mail my check back to the US. Worry about it getting lost or using the wrong postage as really would rather not go to a post office with the virus.

Sponsored Links