Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 37549 times)

• Liked: 686
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #330 on: June 15, 2023, 10:30:13 PM »
I'm not too keen on lightening, myself. [smiley=glasses.gif]

Sunny and dry here. Mid to upper 70s. (Ok, officially "80F"/20C per the TV.) While it's rained all around my community garden, nary a drop to measure in a month!  I finally got the watering hose out and sluiced all the garlic down (it's making scapes, so harvest won't be long following), and the tomatoes and Hubbard squash I've just planted. And the sunflowers, which are now from six inches to two feet tall (depending on variety). The ground is hard as a rock again. I miss Scotland, where everything was cool, overcast, and damp.  ;)

Speaking of, while I was planting the tomatoes, I noticed a clump of dead grass about two feet away move. And then move again. On closer inspection.... see photo.  My garden is going to be toast. I can't lift a finger here....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 11:20:52 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #331 on: August 17, 2023, 05:40:13 PM »
Great. (Not.) The Daughter is living alone on the other side of the country and there's a hurricane (Hillary) heading towards her, estimated to reach Category 3.  ::)  They haven't had even a tropical storm there since 1939! With any luck (not for the poor folks in Arizona), it'll shift a bit to the east and mostly miss her. Because the houses (including hers) are basically/typically made of wood frames with stucco over chicken-wire. Not remotely what I'd call "sturdy" but they manage well in earthquake. High Wind Events? Uhhhh...... oh my.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 05:45:42 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6115
« Reply #332 on: August 17, 2023, 08:49:27 PM »
Great. (Not.) The Daughter is living alone on the other side of the country and there's a hurricane (Hillary) heading towards her, estimated to reach Category 3.  ::)  They haven't had even a tropical storm there since 1939! With any luck (not for the poor folks in Arizona), it'll shift a bit to the east and mostly miss her. Because the houses (including hers) are basically/typically made of wood frames with stucco over chicken-wire. Not remotely what I'd call "sturdy" but they manage well in earthquake. High Wind Events? Uhhhh...... oh my.

Oh boy. I hope it misses her.

• Liked: 770
« Reply #333 on: August 17, 2023, 08:56:07 PM »
It's a wee balmy at 30 degrees in Montenegro, Croatia and Bosnia.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

« Reply #334 on: August 17, 2023, 11:11:19 PM »
Oh boy. I hope it misses her.

So do I. At this point I am, as they say in the vernacular, "having kittens!!!   :o :o :o :o

Most of the models are now saying it will decrease in intensity before it gets up there, but it could potentially go up to a Cat 4 - the forecasts are all over the place. One model has it going right past her, to the left and just offshore, while still a hurricane at Cat 1 or 2, and making landfall basically south of LA. So, she'd be on the "bad" side of the storm. (She's about a mile inland from the coast.)  Ah, SoCal, they do so very well with excess rain there....  Other models have it jogging slightly to the right, and making landfall in Baja. Which will be bad for Baja but better for the Daughter. And heck for Arizona, later on.

On the good side, she went out on her lunch break and bought some canned food that doesn't need to be heated to be eaten, in case the power lines go. Which isn't out of the question, really, out there. And a couple of candles.  Smart girl.

At least worrying about the hurricane keeps me from worrying about the wildfire that is exploding in the countryside east of town there.  ::)

Edit Thursday night:  Yep, it's up to a Cat 4 now. (sigh) And, apparently, "massive" and moving quickly.

Friday night:  Ok, they say it's now 1,000 kilometers wide and could make it almost to a Cat 5. But that it should start to weaken tomorrow evening and be "only" a tropical cyclone or a Cat 1 when it hits San Diego on Sunday with more rain in parts of the county falling in 24 hours than they normally get in a year. Oh my.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 01:24:41 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 969
« Reply #335 on: August 18, 2023, 02:35:02 PM »
A very muggy 22 degrees today. Was glad I saw the temp drop a bit, until I realised the humidity is making it seem a whole lot warmer.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

« Reply #336 on: August 18, 2023, 03:07:56 PM »
A very muggy 22 degrees today. Was glad I saw the temp drop a bit, until I realised the humidity is making it seem a whole lot warmer.

It's really amazing how it does that, isn't it? I lived for most of my life in the desert and a semi-arid region of the USA where the humidity was typically below 25% and quite often much lower. (Where when you get out of a swimming pool you better have a towel ready, as you're going to feel like you're freezing from the evaporation!).  Now living in a place with high humidity,  it amazes me that I can be doing very minor physical work (a bit of weeding in the garden, etc.) and have sweat dripping off that doesn't cool me down at all. And how stealthy heat illness is in a humid climate. I don't know how people who live in places like New Orleans or Florida can stand it!

« Reply #337 on: August 18, 2023, 03:55:04 PM »
It's been incredibly humid this year.

« Reply #338 on: September 18, 2023, 04:24:09 PM »
So, not wanting to sound alarmist here, but I've been watching hurricane development in the Atlantic as it does kind of have a bearing on me if one decides to form and come up the east coast of the USA. (We got heavy clouds, but nothing else from Lee - all this way inland!). There's one out in the Atlantic they've named Nigel. Nigel looks to be forecast to do an interesting turnabout and head in your general direction. Might want to keep an eye out towards the end of the week. They are saying it won't be a hurricane when it gets in your neighborhood, but it could be a bit "blowy" anyway.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at5.shtml?start#contents

« Reply #339 on: October 08, 2023, 05:55:30 AM »
Hoping all you folks up in Scotland are doing ok. You're getting the same kind of rain we've been getting, and it's obnoxious. Hope you are all safe and the storm passes quickly - and no further ones like this roll in. :(

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #340 on: October 08, 2023, 09:01:01 AM »
Mmm been heavy rain! Lots of localised flooding and road slips.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 969
« Reply #341 on: October 21, 2023, 12:12:16 AM »
I hope everyone's making it through storm Babet okay. Looks quite rough with flooding in a lot of areas right now.

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #342 on: October 21, 2023, 12:29:41 AM »
Had a bit of a travel nightmare today due to the storm:
I was supposed to get the train from Lincoln to Liverpool this morning… but I only made it as far as Nottingham before all the onward trains got cancelled. I ended up getting a train back to Lincoln and driving to Liverpool instead!

Luckily the roads were okay - just some standing water - and the traffic wasn’t too bad… I just ended up getting to Liverpool 4 hours later than I was supposed to.

« Reply #343 on: October 21, 2023, 08:55:20 PM »
Had a bit of a travel nightmare today due to the storm:
I was supposed to get the train from Lincoln to Liverpool this morning… but I only made it as far as Nottingham before all the onward trains got cancelled. I ended up getting a train back to Lincoln and driving to Liverpool instead!

Luckily the roads were okay - just some standing water - and the traffic wasn’t too bad… I just ended up getting to Liverpool 4 hours later than I was supposed to.

Glad you made it safe and sound.   The videos of all that look positively ghastly!

« Reply #344 on: October 21, 2023, 09:03:12 PM »
We had sun this afternoon after 3 days of storm. It's so quiet now!

Sponsored Links