Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need tax guidance...Help!  (Read 448 times)

• Liked: 0
Need tax guidance...Help!
« on: May 10, 2020, 08:17:25 AM »
Hi everyone,

I need some help!  I am quite confused and don't know where to begin when it comes to filing my US taxes.  I have lived in the UK since Sept. 2015 and the last time I have submitted any US taxes was back in April 2016.  So, I haven't filed anything for the years 2016-2020 (I didn't realize for the longest time that I was suppose to be filing).

I went on the US Embassy website to try and figure out what to do however that made things a bit more confusing for me since I am a resident of the US Virgin Islands.  While reading the Tax Guide for US Citizens Abroad I came across that, 'If you are a bona fide resident of the USVI during your entire tax year, you generally are not required to file a U.S. return. However, you must file a return with the USVI.' Additionally, it states, 'Residents of U.S. territories. If you are (or were) a bona fide resident of a U.S. territory, you may be required to file Form 8898.' I went on the USVI BIR (business of internal revenue) website but it is so bad I couldn't find any info there. When I lived in the US I always paid an accountant to do my taxes and honestly I don't understand what I should be filling out and doing.

Just to make things a bit more complicated in the USVI we still do things quite backwards so there is no such thing as filing online, you still have to go in person to submit your taxes (they will get 'lost' if you don't).  I guess I can get all the forms filled out here (once I know what I should be filling out) and will have to get family member or friend to submit it on my behalf. 

Anyways, I hope my rambling makes sense!? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links