Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What's the deal with Dennis the Menace?  (Read 1022 times)

• Liked: 1891
What's the deal with Dennis the Menace?
« on: May 21, 2020, 05:06:19 PM »
"Both the US and the UK have a comic strip character named Dennis the Menace and they were both coincidentally created in March 1951 by cartoonists in their respective countries who had no knowledge of what the other was working on."

https://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2012/04/the-curious-tale-of-dennis-the-menace

Am I the only one here who doesn't get the UK DTM?  I always felt the same way about Jimmy Saville, I just couldn't understand in a million years why this guy was even a thing.  The UK Dennis the Menace is the same, even creepier.  Who the hell thinks that is funny?

• Liked: 585
Re: What's the deal with Dennis the Menace?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 08:32:28 AM »
Never ever looked at/read the Dennis The Menace comic/cartoon in either country, although when I was a kid I did watch the 50's black & white TV show.  That kid was annoying.
'Jeepers, Mister Wilson!'

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 09:53:59 AM »
"Both the US and the UK have a comic strip character named Dennis the Menace and they were both coincidentally created in March 1951 by cartoonists in their respective countries who had no knowledge of what the other was working on."

https://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2012/04/the-curious-tale-of-dennis-the-menace

Am I the only one here who doesn't get the UK DTM?  I always felt the same way about Jimmy Saville, I just couldn't understand in a million years why this guy was even a thing.  The UK Dennis the Menace is the same, even creepier.  Who the hell thinks that is funny?

The UK Dennis was like a little football hooligan, whereas the US one was just a mischievous boy 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 02:05:57 PM »
And here I was thinking that you were talking about our forum member Dennis the Menace (though he hasn't been on here in a wee while)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »
And here I was thinking that you were talking about our forum member Dennis the Menace (though he hasn't been on here in a wee while)
Lmao i thought the same

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab