Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: absentee vote question  (Read 2294 times)

• live long and prosper
    • Umpteen Graphics and Web Design
  • Liked: 1
absentee vote question
« on: June 09, 2020, 08:15:34 PM »
Hello my Oracle of all things UK - Yankee ... I hope you are all well during the recent crisis
some of you may recall my trials and tribulations during my wife's passing last year of cancer ... she was British and I'm from America
= I'm now a widowed, single parent of a teenage girl who holds a US and a UK passport

my daughter Emily, at age 17, (soon to be 18 at the end of July), is keen to vote in the American election in November
we moved here to the UK in 2011 ... we had a residence in Michigan until 2017 - I voted in the 2016 election but not the 2018 mid-term
we sold the house in Michigan in 2017

my question is: can I vote? can my daughter vote?
I've seen a previous question in this matter - do we need to be residents?
or can we request absentee ballots from our previous registered county??

meanwhile, I am set to take my "life in the UK test" next week - wish me luck!
Kind regards and Cheers!
pt

Cheers!

• Liked: 674
Re: absentee vote question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 01:57:38 PM »

• Liked: 718
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 05:02:03 PM »
Nan provided an excellent link.

I voted in the last Presidential election although I expect my ballot went straight into the trashcan.  My home county before I left was Montgomery Texas and the instructions were that the envelope had to have the address to the voting station in Texas printed on the envelope. I don’t have a printer that can do that so I printed the address onto a label and stuck the label onto the envelope so that slight deviation would certainly be enough reason for them to bin it. I mean, why does the envelope I send my ballot in have to have the address printed on? If they cared about it they would have sent a pre-printed return envelope, I don’t mind paying the postage.

Rant over,  I hear that most jurisdictions are much more friendly to postal ballots.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 05:10:20 PM »
Yes, you can definitely vote.  I always pay that bit extra to send via FedEx so I can see that it was signed for.   :D

So pleased your daughter is excited to exercise her right to vote!  Give her a high 5 from me!

• live long and prosper
    • Umpteen Graphics and Web Design
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 04:01:54 PM »
thanks everyone ... I forgot to click on the notifications button when I would receive any response ... oops
this link is very helpful - thank you!

I also found that each state (?) has a helpful SOS section for this, e.g., Michigan
https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1633_8716_8728-21037--,00.html
Cheers!

Sponsored Links