Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travel restrictions have me worried  (Read 6373 times)

• Liked: 718
Re: Travel restrictions have me worried
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2020, 02:46:46 PM »
Right...

So my country of origin being Scotland, Im free to visit EU whenever things get cleared up and allow that...

Because doesn't sound like America will be open for a veeeeery long time...

Sounds like if I were to travel, would need to bring proof of address or something alongside my shiny visa!

Your ticket showing you were flying to/from Scotland should be enough but worth carrying proof of residence for sure.  Plenty of Americans have been cheating the system to cross into Canada on holiday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/17/americans-reportedly-find-loophole-violate-canadas-covid-19-border-closure

For some Americans, the prospect of visiting the Rocky Mountains without hordes of visitors cramming its picturesque trails and alpine towns, is so tempting that they’re prepared to risk arrest.

Canadian officials are investigating reports that American tourists are making covert forays into the country, violating a border closure imposed to slow the spread of coronavirus.

The frontier has remained closed since 21 March, but US citizens without coronavirus symptoms are still allowed to enter Canada in order to reach the US state of Alaska. Such travelers are required to use drive-thru windows for food and pay for gas at the pump, and must undergo quarantine if they use a hotel.

But a string of reports suggests that some US citizens are crossing the border on the pretext of visiting Alaska – only to stay in Canada.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 2
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2020, 06:46:45 PM »
Ah, funny that I didn't even think about my BPR! Duh, the official UK residency card might help.

Good to know. I have three weeks of holiday to burn before the end of August! Here's to hoping I can (ethically) go somewhere safely by the end!

It's interesting how illuminating this circumstance is - generally think of myself as a "decently moral" guy but the American "Get what I want" bug is showing itself! Have had to stop a couple times and say, "remember, thanp42, you are not the centre of the world! Don't risk killing people just to get a holiday!"

Human nature I guess.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2020, 06:49:22 PM »

Don't risk killing people just to get a holiday!

Or yourself.  :)

• Liked: 674
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2020, 07:52:23 PM »
And be sure to check with your destination country. The "ban" was advisory, as I understand it. As was the list of countries "allowed". I think each nation in the EU has the right to make their own determination on who gets to visit and who does not.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2020, 07:13:52 PM »
And be sure to check with your destination country. The "ban" was advisory, as I understand it. As was the list of countries "allowed". I think each nation in the EU has the right to make their own determination on who gets to visit and who does not.

England has just published who will not have to self-isolate, starting from 10 July.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors#travel-corridors-countries-and-territories-exemption-list

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 674
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2020, 10:28:11 PM »
So true. When my grandmother left Ireland, she could write to them back home, but it wasn't assumed she'd be back. As it was, it was many years before she did return for a visit, and that was only because she was a new widow with two babies in tow and was desparate. She walked right into the middle of a civil war, so she turned around and went back to the States after a couple of months. She never went home again. My grandfather never got to go back home. His brother made it to the States, but the rest of them didn't.  Travel was so expensive back in the day, and being able to earn enough money to take the time off that travel took pretty much ruled it out. They were just "working" people.

I think people are going to have to really curb travel by plane. I don't think I've ever been anywhere where so many people thought they were "entitled" to a vacation abroad, even people of very limited means seem to fly off to a beach in Spain regularly. They might have to start going back to the UK seaside towns their great-grandparents did, rather than jetting all over the place.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab