Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New Englander Considering a Move to Scotland!  (Read 8795 times)

• Liked: 2
New Englander Considering a Move to Scotland!
« on: June 30, 2020, 12:27:23 AM »
Hello!

I stumbled across this forum while searching for immigration/visa advice, and was happy to find such a vibrant community of expats!

I grew up in Massachusetts and met my husband in Scotland during my study abroad program. After a long journey of long-distance/visits etc., we got married and began his visa journey in the US. After 5 years here, he has finally obtained his American Citizenship (he's now a dual citizen).

For a while now, we have dreamed of moving to Scotland, at least for a few years, to spend some time with his family and experience the beautiful country that still holds a place in our hearts. However, the current pandemic has made things... interesting. I was wondering if anyone has had experience applying for a visa during this time, and is it possible? Will there be long delays? My husband is currently searching for jobs in Scotland, and if he is to receive an offer, my understanding is that I would need to apply for, and complete, my visa application in America before I could join him in the UK? Apologies, I'm definitely a newbie in the UK Visa department  ::)

The whole process is very daunting, but I think meeting some experienced expat folks on here would be a huge help! Look forward to e-meeting y'all!

• Liked: 424
Re: New Englander Considering a Move to Scotland!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 06:15:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 09:43:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

You can still apply for visas, but unfortunately most of the centres for biometrics are closed so there will be delays once they open back up. If your husband finds a job it would need to start within 3 months of when you apply for the visa, so there is the possibility you could be separated for a short time. However, if you are selling a house with proceeds of £62500 or have savings of £62500 held for more than six months (can be in investments like a 401k if you have immediate access to it) you could use savings to meet the financial requirements?

With the pandemic and global recession on the horizon keep in mind as immigrants we have no access to public funds, and have to meet the challenging £18600 income requirements every 2.5 years. It is 3 visas before you can apply for citizenship here. I know many people who are very happy here, but I also know many like me who are crumbling under the stress of being an immigrant in a country that clearly doesn't want any immigrants. We knew it would be challenging but completely underestimated the toll it would take, or how few employment opportunities I would have when I had been in stable employment in the US earning over $60k/yr (I'm disabled and autistic). If we were to do it again and my husband's elderly parents weren't here, he would have moved to the US. Life here is just much harder, more expensive, and more crowded. Sorry I can't sugar coat it, and I suppose if you are quite rich, can work any job, or no longer work then your experience will be much different.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 09:52:58 AM »
I don't have a clue about the visas, but just to say hi from one Masshole to another! I have lived in the Scottish Highlands for over 12 years now.  ;D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 09:59:39 AM »
I don't have a clue about the visas, but just to say hi from one Masshole to another! I have lived in the Scottish Highlands for over 12 years now.  ;D
Was going to come here and say more or less this hahah i'm not in Scotland (I'm down south in England), but wanted to say as a MA person as well and a person that has been to scotland many times because i love it, i think you will definitely enjoy scotland :) welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 10:10:48 AM »
Welcome!  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 10:11:33 AM »
Also in England but it certainly seems that everyone who lives in Scotland absolutely loves it!  They must be doing something very right.   :D

Welcome!

• Liked: 239
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 11:01:13 AM »
Welcome! We’re in NE Scotland and absolutely love it!
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 12:29:34 PM »
Glad I found some fellow Massholes on here!  ;D

Margo, I appreciate your honesty. To be fair, it does feed into a lot of the insecurities I have around the move. However, I still think it's the right decision for us. My in-laws have some health concerns, and we really would like to spend a bit of time with them while they are still able to get about. My husband is also has US citizenship, so if things end up going "tits up" (as he would say), we do have the option to return to the US. We would only move if he was able to secure a stable job however, and that could prove tricky during this time. I know it seems like a crazy time to contemplate a move, but this pandemic has also put things in perspective and been a bit of a kick in the butt for us (kind of feels like now or never).

Look forward to seeing you all around these forums!

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 12:42:21 PM »
I think there are a lot of variants at play as well that can make or more or less difficult depending so it's always good to plan for the worst, but there's a lot if variables that can change that from person to person. You've heen there before for study purposes so got a chance to live there beyond just tourism, so i think that will have helped you gauge if this is the right move for you even if it was just for a few months.

I totally get what you mean about it being put into perspective. Like it's not even just covid/lockdown but just the state of everything. And, as you said, you won't have to jump through too many hoops to get back if you really weren't happy which already gives you a leg up. :)

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 01:19:52 PM »
I live in Scotland. Scotland is not anti immigration. That is the UK (England) sentiment and definitely doesn't represent the climate in Scotland. Unfortunately, our immigration laws are ruled by the UK government and not our own.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 01:37:39 PM »

Scotland is not anti immigration. That is the UK (England) sentiment

To be fair, I don't think it's really an across the board thing down here either. I haven't personally felt the anti-immigration sentiment and know other immigrants who haven't really either but I also know others have so it's really difficult to say. While it's definitely worth highlighting that as a potential, i just think it's worth noting that this is also something that varies amongst different people and can depend on location. I do agree with what you've said about Scotland though!

My, how time flies....

• Liked: 768
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 01:41:02 PM »

To be fair, I don't think it's really an across the board thing down here either. I haven't personally felt the anti-immigration sentiment and know other immigrants who haven't really either but I also know others have so it's really difficult to say. While it's definitely worth highlighting that as a potential, i just think it's worth noting that this is also something that varies amongst different people and can depend on location. I do agree with what you've said about Scotland though!

I meant more towards the UK government.  Not necessarily the citizens even though I've seen racist and xenophobic comments from people throughout the whole of the UK.

The Scottish government though wants a more robust immigrant pool.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 01:49:48 PM »

The Scottish government though wants a more robust immigrant pool.

Yeah i do feel for the Scottish government with the way poltics work in the UK as a whole

My, how time flies....

• Liked: 424
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 04:59:38 PM »
I live in Scotland, and I have to say that most people have been more than welcoming. No, I don’t earn what I did in the states but.... I have a nice 3 bedroom house with a big yard and amazing views. I have NO complaints!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links