Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Uk self assessment recco  (Read 464 times)

• Liked: 8
Uk self assessment recco
« on: July 04, 2020, 08:48:58 AM »
Hi, I am fully compliant in the usa now and had the same london firm do my uk self assessment.  I didn’t want to mess up the foreign income bits my first year.  I have what I think is a simple usa portfolio - a fully compliant investment account and an inherited ira and inherited Roth.     The firm charged me 700£  For my self assessment for the privilege of owing the uk govt another 2k.  That seemed steep.  Any other suggestions out there as I have 2 young adults that will need to file with usa investment accounts.  (The platform we use for usa investments gives us USA and uk statements for tax filing,   Handy)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Uk self assessment recco
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 09:25:30 AM »
Hi, I am fully compliant in the usa now and had the same london firm do my uk self assessment.  I didn’t want to mess up the foreign income bits my first year.  I have what I think is a simple usa portfolio - a fully compliant investment account and an inherited ira and inherited Roth.     The firm charged me 700£  For my self assessment for the privilege of owing the uk govt another 2k.  That seemed steep.  Any other suggestions out there as I have 2 young adults that will need to file with usa investment accounts.  (The platform we use for usa investments gives us USA and uk statements for tax filing,   Handy)

If you have already filed one UK self assessment correctly using a professional, can you try to use that as a template to do it yourself this year?

I do our UK taxes myself and just ask HMRC any time I have a question. I either use the phone line or get it in writing depending on the nature of the question. They are very much less scary than the IRS imo!

• Liked: 716
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 11:04:04 AM »
If you have already filed one UK self assessment correctly using a professional, can you try to use that as a template to do it yourself this year?

I do our UK taxes myself and just ask HMRC any time I have a question. I either use the phone line or get it in writing depending on the nature of the question. They are very much less scary than the IRS imo!

Ditto. My wife and I have US pensions, IRA, Roth and after tax investments but the U.K. tax return is so much simpler than the US return. (I also have 2 UK pensions to report on my US taxes)

I use Taxcalc for about £30 which is really easy to use, but having helped my wife’s sister last year do her first Self Assessment, may ditch even Taxcalc this year.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »
Thanks guys.  I paid this year with the idea of using it as a template.  Then I asked the tax advisor some questions for clarification and he made me more confused.  ....  intentionally, I am sure.  .  I think I’ll use tax calc and then ring if I have questions.   Needed some Dutch courage. 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 03:33:29 PM »
Thanks guys.  I paid this year with the idea of using it as a template.  Then I asked the tax advisor some questions for clarification and he made me more confused.  ....  intentionally, I am sure.  .  I think I’ll use tax calc and then ring if I have questions.   Needed some Dutch courage.

Don't be afraid to tell them you didn't understand their explanation. You've paid them a lot of money, they should be happy to answer follow up questions.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab