Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Current New York to London to New York travel...?  (Read 9305 times)

• Liked: 0
Current New York to London to New York travel...?
« on: July 06, 2020, 02:01:34 PM »
Hello,

I might need to make a trip to the UK later in July or early August for about one week. But somehow it's too stressful, so I probably won't. What is the latest, anyway? I've been losing track. I'm a British citizen, so would I need to quarantine for two weeks in the UK? And I'm a US permanent resident (green card). So can I return to New York?

Any updates on the current situation and how it looks for the next few weeks would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Liked: 342
Re: Current New York to London to New York travel...?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 03:27:44 PM »
I might need to make a trip to the UK later in July or early August for about one week. But somehow it's too stressful, so I probably won't. What is the latest, anyway? I've been losing track. I'm a British citizen, so would I need to quarantine for two weeks in the UK?

Yes, you would need to self-isolate for 14 days as it is which country you are coming from.

From the 10 July, England is ending that two required weeks for some countries deemed safe(ish) from Covid-19, but atm the US is not at that list of 60 countries.

"From 10 July 2020 you will not have to self-isolate when you arrive in England, if you:

are travelling or returning from one of the countries with travel corridor exemption
    have not been to or stopped in a country that’s not on the travel corridors exemption list in the previous 14 days

This applies to all travel to England, by train, ferry, coach, air or any other route.

If you have been to or stopped in a country that’s not on the travel corridors exemption list you will have to self-isolate until 14 days have passed since you left that country."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors#travel-corridors-countries-and-territories-exemption-list
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 03:44:54 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 03:46:34 PM »
I’m a British citizen and I am currently on Day 12 of my 14-day quarantine after returning to the U.K. last month from working abroad for several months.

The stupid thing is that the territory I flew in from has not had a single virus case and every single one of the 20 passengers on the flight (which was a military cargo plane) was virus-free, because we had all been in a ‘clean’ environment for the last few months... yet we still all had to wear masks for the entire 12-hour flight AND we all had to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival.

If I had travelled 2.5 weeks earlier or 2.5 weeks later, I would not have had to quarantine at all, because quarantine only came in on June 8th and will no longer apply to the island I was living on from July 10th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 248
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 03:50:13 PM »
But on the good side - only two more days to go.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 04:09:50 PM »
Hello,

I might need to make a trip to the UK later in July or early August for about one week. But somehow it's too stressful, so I probably won't. What is the latest, anyway? I've been losing track. I'm a British citizen, so would I need to quarantine for two weeks in the UK? And I'm a US permanent resident (green card). So can I return to New York?

Any updates on the current situation and how it looks for the next few weeks would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Quarantine on both sides for 2 weeks required.  Not worth it for a week long trip.  This is under current rules.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 03:33:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for these comments!!  :)

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 01:13:14 PM »
Good morning!

A few further thoughts regarding my original question: What does quarantine in the UK and in the US currently constitute? Complete isolation? Staying with a brother who works from home and is mostly isolating these days anyway? Returning to the US is more complicated as my wife is going out to work. I work from home, so two weeks + two weeks in quarantine is no big deal as long as there is internet connection.

Thanks for any further thoughts.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 02:19:48 PM »
Good morning!

A few further thoughts regarding my original question: What does quarantine in the UK and in the US currently constitute? Complete isolation? Staying with a brother who works from home and is mostly isolating these days anyway?

I just quarantined in the UK and I stayed with my parents as they have a flat above their garage I could sleep in, whereas I live alone.

I basically wasn’t able to leave the house at all, other than to go in the garden. Technically, I could have left for essential supplies or for medical reasons, but that was only if I didn’t have anyone who could help me out (I.e. if I was isolating completely alone and had no one who could do my shopping for me). I was not allowed to leave the house to exercise at all.

My brother was allowed to pick me up from the airport, and the family members I was isolating with were allowed to go out and continue on as normal - it was just me who couldn’t go anywhere.

You’re supposed to social distance from the people you are staying with, but as I had returned from an island which was virus-free, I figured there wasn’t much point in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 12:44:48 PM »
Thanks very much Ksand24, I appreciate this info.

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 10:53:37 PM »
Hello, more thoughts and questions. I've found a place to quarantine, but what about travel by bus and train from the airport to the place of quarantine? Is that allowed? And to what extent are quarantines being enforced anyway, or left to the "good sense" (as Gove would say!!!) of the people?

Can't believe I've been wearing a mask for four months in the US (compulsory where I am) and happy to do so, but it's still an ongoing debate in England, as it is in Florida...

• Liked: 676
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 11:05:07 PM »
Hello, more thoughts and questions. I've found a place to quarantine, but what about travel by bus and train from the airport to the place of quarantine? Is that allowed? And to what extent are quarantines being enforced anyway, or left to the "good sense" (as Gove would say!!!) of the people?

Can't believe I've been wearing a mask for four months in the US (compulsory where I am) and happy to do so, but it's still an ongoing debate in England, as it is in Florida...

There are too many people and the government doesn't seem to have the will to enforce much of anything. That being said, the "right" thing to do is the quarantine.  They recommend you travel by private means ~if you can~ once you arrive. If you can't, you need to be as vigilant as you can be about potentially spreading the bug. Use hand sanitizer often, touch as little as you can, wash your hands as much as possible, wear the mask, and stay away from others as much as you can for the 14 days.

The masks, if made of appropriate materials and worn (and treated when putting them on and taking them off) correctly, lower the chance of airborne transmission of the disease from 40 to 60%, depending on which study you look at. Reminder you can still pick it up off surfaces.

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 09:43:21 AM »
They are doing random checks and I’ve heard of people being contacted (about 4) during their quarantine to ensure they are where they said they would be.

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 12:49:37 PM »
Thanks Nan D and KFdancer.

Sorry, I keep having additional thoughts on this. I'm going to need to see a doctor for some routine treatment after I get home, which I will do privately as I can't wait for the NHS. Too much pain. I'm wondering if quarantine rules can be broken for a serious medical appointment?

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 01:12:26 PM »

Sorry, I keep having additional thoughts on this. I'm going to need to see a doctor for some routine treatment after I get home, which I will do privately as I can't wait for the NHS. Too much pain. I'm wondering if quarantine rules can be broken for a serious medical appointment?

See here for the government guidelines on how to quarantine in the UK:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

If you will be quarantining in England, these are guidelines for when you can leave your house:

In England, you can only leave your accommodation in limited circumstances. These include where:

- you need urgent medical assistance (or where your doctor has advised you to get medical assistance)
- you need access to basic necessities like food and medicines, but only in exceptional circumstances such as where you cannot arrange for these to be delivered
- you need to access critical public services such as social services and victim support services, but only in exceptional circumstances
- you need to go to the funeral of a family member of someone you live with
- you need to visit a dying or critically ill family member or someone you live with
- you need to fulfil a legal obligation such as participate in legal proceedings
- there’s an emergency

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 01:30:54 PM »

You really should see a doctor where you live.  Doctors are not keen on treating patients when they won't be around for proper follow ups.  Not to mention pain management it taken much more seriously in the USA.  I mean, I managed to get paracetemol when I was in labour in the UK. 

Sponsored Links