Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Looking to move back to UK  (Read 2239 times)

• Liked: 0
Looking to move back to UK
« on: July 06, 2020, 03:41:55 PM »
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong section to post this (feel free to move to correct section)

Me (UKC/ GC holder) and my wife (USC) have been married and living in the US for over 3 years. We are expecting our first child in a few months time and would like to relocate to the UK later this year or early next year to be closer to family. We plan to get our babys birth registered in the UK also so they can obtain their British passport.

We know the process of moving back though would like to learn more about others experiences of moving back and have an outlet to ask questions and to receive advice on the process or just the experiences in general. Fortunately, my wife absolutely loves the UK and has always wanted to move there, everytime we visit we always discuss the idea of moving back. Before we got married unfortunately I did not meet the MIR requirement to bring my fiance at the time to the UK so I moved across the pond and we have been living together for over 3 years now and about to embark on a new journey with our first child.  

Our reasons for moving back are to be closer to family and for the overall cost of living and way of life. We have good jobs here in the US though we would like to raise our child in the UK knowing we have the support of family at the drop of a hat if required and miss the network of family and friends we have there. My wife has a very small family down south and we currently live up North. We know this potential relocation is going to be permanent due to how exhausting it can be to pickup move, build a new network of friends, find a job etc.

I know folk will mention go for citizenship but it is another year or so before being eligible and then wait times are between another 1-3 years currently and I can only imagine with the covid backlog and furloughs that it will take even longer. It is not something I am sure I want to go for which is why I'm happy to move back asap. Though hoping that whenever we travel and visit as a family that this won't effect me visiting if I formally give up my GC by filling out the paperwork?

I was just wondering if there were any couples who were in a similar situation or wanted to move back to be closer to family how did you find it once you moved back?

Any advice or input is appreciated:)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Looking to move back to UK
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 04:41:21 PM »
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong section to post this (feel free to move to correct section)

Me (UKC/ GC holder) and my wife (USC) have been married and living in the US for over 3 years. We are expecting our first child in a few months time and would like to relocate to the UK later this year or early next year to be closer to family. We plan to get our babys birth registered in the UK also so they can obtain their British passport.

We know the process of moving back though would like to learn more about others experiences of moving back and have an outlet to ask questions and to receive advice on the process or just the experiences in general. Fortunately, my wife absolutely loves the UK and has always wanted to move there, everytime we visit we always discuss the idea of moving back. Before we got married unfortunately I did not meet the MIR requirement to bring my fiance at the time to the UK so I moved across the pond and we have been living together for over 3 years now and about to embark on a new journey with our first child.  

Our reasons for moving back are to be closer to family and for the overall cost of living and way of life. We have good jobs here in the US though we would like to raise our child in the UK knowing we have the support of family at the drop of a hat if required and miss the network of family and friends we have there. My wife has a very small family down south and we currently live up North. We know this potential relocation is going to be permanent due to how exhausting it can be to pickup move, build a new network of friends, find a job etc.

I know folk will mention go for citizenship but it is another year or so before being eligible and then wait times are between another 1-3 years currently and I can only imagine with the covid backlog and furloughs that it will take even longer. It is not something I am sure I want to go for which is why I'm happy to move back asap. Though hoping that whenever we travel and visit as a family that this won't effect me visiting if I formally give up my GC by filling out the paperwork?

I was just wondering if there were any couples who were in a similar situation or wanted to move back to be closer to family how did you find it once you moved back?

Any advice or input is appreciated:)

Citizenship can be a millstone when it comes to taxes (as a USC you are liable for your worldwide income based on citizenship, not residency) so it's not something to take on unless you are quite sure about it.

The only thing I would say is keep an open mind regarding the permanency of your move back to the UK. If it does not turn out to be all you hoped, you might end up wanting to return to the US after all.  So maybe don't be in too much of a hurry to surrender your green card.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 06:52:48 PM »
Definitely, you make a lot of good points though I can't see us wanting to relocate and move back to the US again. What is important is that we can visit the US in the future as a family, I know my wife and child would travel on their US passports when visiting. Though if I do give it up can I travel back via  ESTA

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 07:25:45 PM »
This is the most recent post we have about someone who has moved back.  Look through their past posts and you'll see how long and hard they fought to live in the UK.

https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=98167.0

Don't get me wrong, loads of people move here and absolutely love it.  And there is no better reason to move than to be near family. 

Obviously right now is a tough time anywhere in the world.  Lots of jobs being lost and salaries being slashed due to COVID.  But if you have the right education, skills, and qualifications for the jobs that are still in demand, you'll be fine. 

Sponsored Links