Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR travel to Europe?  (Read 734 times)

• Liked: 0
ILR travel to Europe?
« on: July 22, 2020, 12:21:34 PM »
Hi, we are thinking of going to Italy for a week in August. Are there any restrictions on US citizen with ILR spouse visa living in the UK to travel to countries with travel corridors such as Italy?
Thanks
Married to USC in UK Jan 2004
USC issued Entry Clearance in NY Feb 2004
Dual Citizen Daughter born April 2004
USC issued ILR Feb 2006
Moved to USA Feb 2010
Online Application to return to UK 22 Jun 2010
Biometrics done 25 Jun 2012
Mailed out - 27 June 2012 (UPS Overnight-Priority))
Email to confirm package arrived in NY and is being processed - 28 June 2012
Email to say the UK visa has been issued (Wow!!) 29th June
Living in MCR, UK (8 years) - myself British Citizen, husband US with ILR and two dual citizen children

• New York >> South Yorkshire
  • Liked: 25
Re: ILR travel to Europe?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 02:29:37 PM »
Hope it's okay to bump this post.

I am also needing to travel to Italy in August for a family matter. I am looking for advice about whether my US passport effects my ability to travel in the same "free" manner as a British/EU passport holder. I have not travelled outside of Britain since October 2019 and I have a current BRP (FLR).

I have read the guidelines for both the UK and Italy extensively, but I can't find a concrete answer. The gov.uk site says that "Unless otherwise stated, this information is for travellers using a full ‘British Citizen’ passport." https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy/entry-requirements.

The Italian government website does not mention anything about passport restrictions (only origin and port of call restrictions). As of 1 July 2020 "foreign nationals residing in EU Member States, Schengen Member States, United Kingdom, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or the Vatican" are permitted to travel to Italy for tourism purposes.
https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ministero/normativaonline/decreto-iorestoacasa-domande-frequenti/focus-cittadini-italiani-in-rientro-dall-estero-e-cittadini-stranieri-in-italia.html

I'm hesitant to book travel in case my American passport is going to cause me grief at the airports. I know I'm being paranoid, but does anyone know if I am likely to have problems upon arriving in either Italy or back in the UK because I am not a UK passport holder? Or will the scrutiny be solely on my residence and recent travel history?

Any insight or personal experiences would be appreciated! Thank you  :)
Married in NY: 18 April 2017
Spouse Visa received: 29 June 2017 (27 business days, Priority)
Relocated to UK: 16 July 2017
FLR(M) biometrics: 28 February 2020 (online app 17 January 2020)
FLR(M) granted: 12 March 2020 (10 business days, Standard) *BRP received 2 April 2020
ILR forecast: 17 July 2022 - 10 October 2022

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 02:52:54 PM »
The Italian government website does not mention anything about passport restrictions (only origin and port of call restrictions). As of 1 July 2020 "foreign nationals residing in EU Member States, Schengen Member States, United Kingdom, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or the Vatican" are permitted to travel to Italy for tourism purposes.

You have your concrete answer right here.

You are a foreign national residing in the UK, therefore you are permitted to travel to Italy without restrictions and without self-isolating.

What matters is what country you are travelling FROM, not what citizenship you hold. If you live in the UK, and have not been in the US in the last 14 days, you will be allowed into Italy without restrictions.

The UK government link states:

The authorities in the country or territory you’re travelling to are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. If you’re unclear about any aspect of the entry requirements, or you need further reassurance, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

So, it's up to the Italian government to decide whether or not you can enter... and the Italian government says you can.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 02:55:23 PM by ksand24 »

• New York >> South Yorkshire
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 03:15:03 PM »
I am sorry to trouble, @ksand24. I appreciate your response. I think I'm just desperate for affirmation and my uncertainty is creeping in at every step. I am not fond of the idea of travelling, but it's a bit of an emergency trip and I'm under a lot of pressure to get it booked ASAP. Apologies, I'm not thinking straight at the moment. Thank you.
Married in NY: 18 April 2017
Spouse Visa received: 29 June 2017 (27 business days, Priority)
Relocated to UK: 16 July 2017
FLR(M) biometrics: 28 February 2020 (online app 17 January 2020)
FLR(M) granted: 12 March 2020 (10 business days, Standard) *BRP received 2 April 2020
ILR forecast: 17 July 2022 - 10 October 2022

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab