Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Insights for new member interested in moving to Wales?  (Read 1924 times)

• Liked: 0
Insights for new member interested in moving to Wales?
« on: July 23, 2020, 02:08:21 AM »
Greetings! Glad to find this community! My husband and I are in the early stages of exploring retiring/relocating to Northern Wales from the U S. Can anyone here offer insights, suggestions, tips?  I know the immigration policies are in flux right now. I welcome any and all input but in particular I'm curious how the real estate sector works. Are there realtors that help people relocating find property, or is the system all based on marketers representing sellers? I am also interested in knowing what the baseline income requirements are for retirees...or if people need to be employed to be considered for residency. And interested in knowing if Social Security income is taxed by U K. Many thanks! Meg

• Liked: 6110
Re: Insights for new member interested in moving to Wales?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 06:11:56 AM »
Greetings! Glad to find this community! My husband and I are in the early stages of exploring retiring/relocating to Northern Wales from the U S. Can anyone here offer insights, suggestions, tips?  I know the immigration policies are in flux right now. I welcome any and all input but in particular I'm curious how the real estate sector works. Are there realtors that help people relocating find property, or is the system all based on marketers representing sellers? I am also interested in knowing what the baseline income requirements are for retirees...or if people need to be employed to be considered for residency. And interested in knowing if Social Security income is taxed by U K. Many thanks! Meg

Hi Meg, welcome!  :)

Wales is a lovely part of the country, we have a few members who live there.

The income requirements are the same whether retired or not- £18,600 in income or £62,500 in savings (or you combine the two using a formula) but you do not have to be employed and can use a pension, other non-employment income or savings alone, which is the easiest method to use.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/901579/appendix-fm-1-7-financial-requirement-v2.0-gov-uk.pdf

It'll probably be easier if you post your questions in the relevant sections of the forum, once you've had time to look around.  :)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 07:00:57 AM »
You didn't say but are either of you British citizens?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 07:08:41 AM »

Good point. I just assumed one was, which may not be the case reading the post again.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 03:02:44 PM »
As to your question on SS, it is only taxed in the UK, not taxed at all in the USA as per the Double Taxation Treaty.  SSA are also quite familiar with paying direct into a UK bank and do so at the most competitive foreign exchange rate you would get anywhere. There is a Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy in London that can answer questions and process applications for SS.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If neither of you are British Citizens, you can get a Golden Visa for £2 million invested in a UK business.

Sponsored Links