Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dropping Sky internet and telephone before contract end  (Read 2184 times)

• Liked: 672
Dropping Sky internet and telephone before contract end
« on: July 26, 2020, 05:13:25 PM »
Ok. It looks like we have three months left on our Sky internet and phone service (including line rental) after we bug out. I am not understanding their published info on their web page as to how much they are going to charge us for terminating service early. I know we have to pay something for the the three months after we disconnect? I can't find the amounts. Any idea where online that might be?

Right now our internet and phone (with line rental) costs £22 a month. We are getting a £5 a month discount from the normal rate. They don't seem to have a way to email them. As the bill is paid in advance, I want to sort this prior to the next direct debit hitting the bank so I'm sure I've left enough in the account to cover the charges.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:16:30 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 3589
Re: Dropping Sky internet and telephone before contract end
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 05:42:00 PM »
From what I can tell, they work out how much you have to pay based on:
- how many days are left on your contract
- how many days you have already paid in advance (because you pay each month in advance)
- what products you have

They work out how much the termination fee is by taking your monthly charge and then they deduct:
- 20% VAT
- the business costs they save by not providing your service anymore
- an accelerated receipt discount because the fee is paid in one lump sum instead of monthly

They have a table here which shows the monthly early termination charges based on what service you currently have:
http://storage.sky.com/prod/helpcentre/manuals/ETC%20tables/UK_ETC_7_July_2020.pdf

They have a couple of examples on this page:

Sky Broadband and Talk examples

Example 1

You have a Sky Broadband Unlimited plan for £33 a month (made up of Sky Broadband priced at £14.01 and Sky Line Rental priced at £18.99), with three months remaining on your contract and no applicable discount(s). For Sky Broadband (£14.01), we’ll deduct VAT, business costs and accelerated receipt discount, leaving £10.90. We multiply this by three (your remaining months) and round up to the nearest 25p, totalling £32.75.

For Sky Line Rental (£18.99), we’ll deduct VAT, business costs and accelerated receipt discount, leaving £7.97. Again, we’ll multiply this by three (your remaining months) and round up to the nearest 25p, totalling £24.

Your total payable ETC would be £56.75.

Example 2

You have Sky Broadband Essential for £27.00 a month, and the Sky Broadband Boost Product for £5.00 per month with four months remaining on your contract and a £5.00 discount on Sky Broadband Essential.

For Sky Broadband Essential (£27.00) we’ll deduct VAT, business costs and accelerated receipt discount, leaving £13.91. We’ll then deduct the £5 discount for Sky Broadband Essential, giving a £8.91 monthly ETC rate, then multiply this by four (your remaining months) and round up to the nearest 25p, totalling £35.75.

For Sky Broadband Boost (£5.00) we‘ll deduct VAT, business costs and accelerated receipt discount, leaving £3.14. Again, we’ll multiply this by four (your remaining months) and round up to the nearest 25p, totalling £12.75.

Your total payable ETC would be £48.50.

I'd say the best option would be for you to call them as they should be able to tell you how much it will be over the phone.

• Liked: 672
Re: Dropping Sky internet and telephone before contract end
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 05:55:02 PM »
Thanks, that section is helpful. The table pages didn't have my plan on them (although they probably call it something else now), so this works very well.

The purpose was to NOT have to phone them. I don't do well on the phone.  ;D (My hearing is shot.)

I can use the numbers they provide and do that math. It should be relatively close.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:20:58 AM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab