Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can I bring my PC to the UK?  (Read 3619 times)

• Liked: 0
Can I bring my PC to the UK?
« on: August 12, 2020, 04:14:30 PM »
Hi all, so I am curious if I can bring my PC to the Uk (ie the tower that holds the hard drives, video cards etc.) ? Can I just switch out the power cord? Do I have to get a new power supply? or do I just scrap it and bring the hard drives with me and rebuild? I really don't want to leave it all behind if I don't have to, although we are planning on not shipping much either. Thanks!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:19:59 PM by Pumpkin111 »

• Im in love with a beautiful woman
  • Liked: 11
Re: Can I bring my PC to the UK?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 04:22:24 PM »
Hiya

I would imagine you can.... You should check on your power pack around where you plug the cord in you will see how much voltage your tower can take.... We output around 230v and America outputs 110 ... Most electronics that are computer based take a range from 110-240v.... If yours says 110v then you will have to rebuild it here.... This is important that you do not plug it in as it will go pop and you will have ruined your pc.....

Have fun

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

EDDDDDDDDDD

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 04:36:57 PM »
Thanks! yeah I definitely want to avoid the "big pop."  ;D This is the power supply that is currently in the machine:

Hiya

I would imagine you can.... You should check on your power pack around where you plug the cord in you will see how much voltage your tower can take.... We output around 230v and America outputs 110 ... Most electronics that are computer based take a range from 110-240v.... If yours says 110v then you will have to rebuild it here.... This is important that you do not plug it in as it will go pop and you will have ruined your pc.....

Have fun

• Im in love with a beautiful woman
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 04:38:45 PM »
Yep
All good I can see the range is 110-240 :)

EDDDDDDDDDD

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 04:42:23 PM »
Thanks Ed!

Yep
All good I can see the range is 110-240 :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 03:21:55 PM »
You also have the option of buying a step-down voltage converter when you get here. We had a really good one that cost around £65 three years ago and it's still on (24 hours a day) and running silently. Nice to not have to mess with different cords (which I did try, but for some odd reason the PC would not run on UK current, even after flipping the switch on it). Also nice to run the Nintendo off the same power supply, too.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 03:38:41 AM »
You also have the option of buying a step-down voltage converter when you get here. We had a really good one that cost around £65 three years ago and it's still on (24 hours a day) and running silently. Nice to not have to mess with different cords (which I did try, but for some odd reason the PC would not run on UK current, even after flipping the switch on it). Also nice to run the Nintendo off the same power supply, too.

Hi Nan! That's great advice. Do you remember where you bough said voltage converter?

• Liked: 676
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 10:06:25 AM »
I believe it was Amazon.co.uk and the brand was "Power Hero".  If you go that route, go with a higher than the voltage you think you'll need - that way when you later start adding American "toys" to it you'll have enough power to go around.

Don't forget to bring a USA extension cord as you'll not find them over here easily. (Different plug shapes.) Would avoid a US surge protector, though. When we plugged one into the PH it tripped our UK flat's fuse. Just an ordinary extension cord worked fine for us when we also wanted to plug in our USA Christmas tree lights. Our unit easily ran all our US electronics and also the tree lights at the same time. It is absolutely silent, too. It's just a little clunky looking and not the smallest thing on the planet.

In looking through my back orders, it's this one we had several of. Sorry we couldn't arrange a swap - I just donated two of them to the Prince & Princess of Wales Hospice shop here in Glasgow. They said they were going to put them on their online store site. They don't seem to be available on Amazon at present, but they are selling a 1,500 watt unit for £72.

Power Hero 1500VA 1100 Watt Step Down Voltage Transformer for Powering US 110 - 120V Appliances in the UK or Europe

Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 04:19:41 AM »
You don't know how happy this makes me!! THANK YOU!!!  8)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab