Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sound Bar  (Read 2957 times)

• Liked: 1
Sound Bar
« on: August 20, 2020, 05:10:49 AM »
Has anyone tried bringing a sound bar and subwoofer and running them on transformers? Our Sony system has AC cords (not AC to DC adapters) and is marked 120v 60hz. I know the transformer will reduce the voltage sufficiently, but will it run on 50hz? In the 1970s and 1980s we ran many 60hz devices that way and they worked fine as long as they didn't have a motor. But, that was a long time ago and everything has changed.

Appreciate any insights in this whether Sony or other brand.

• Liked: 676
Re: Sound Bar
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 08:53:11 AM »
Hi. I can't comment on your specific equipment, but I've been running a turntable and amp (sorry, it's an off-market brand which I no longer remember as it's been packed for six months) with speakers, plus Nintendo Wii and a Sony Playstation, as well as a Dell PC, off of a transformer. And an electric clock radio. They have worked perfectly well.  The only thing I have noticed is that my electric clock tends to run the tiniest bit slow over a month's time.  Hope that's of some help to you. :)

My advice would be to bring the equipment, unless you can get a really good sale price on it there or the cost of shipping is exhorbitant. Yes you can probably replace it here, but it will cost you an arm and a leg, so you'd be out the original sunk cost plus the replacement cost.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 12:08:25 PM »
Electronics don’t care about 50 or 60hz, it is converted to DC as soon as it enters the device. The important thing is the voltage so you’ll need a step down transformer.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 06:04:33 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I thought (hoped?) that was the case.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab