Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Calculating Council Tax still owed  (Read 3242 times)

• Liked: 672
Calculating Council Tax still owed
« on: August 22, 2020, 07:58:18 PM »
Ok, so I am hoping to leave just enough cash in my bank account to cover any extraneous bills that are still floating around. Council tax is stumping me.  I pay £237 a month, and have since April 1 of this year, for a total of £1,184 paid through the end of August so far.

Council tax payments are actually paid over 10 months, instead of 12. If I calculate the amount I would pay each month if it was stretched over 12 months, it would be about £197.50 per month. Since I'm getting dinged into paying tax for September (officially vacating the 24th, although we'll be gone sooner), that would be April 1 - Sept 30 = 6 months. Which would come up to about £1,185. Which is the amount I've already paid at £237 per month for April 1 - August 31.

I got an amended tax bill today that says another £1,185 is due for the rest of the 2020/21 year. But the payments as of Sept. change to £195 a month. I assume that is showing the discount for an unoccupied, unfurnished property. Which it will be from Sept onward.

Am I correct in assuming that since I've already paid the equivalent of the 6 months' council tax (and water/sewer) that I will not owe anything further than I have already paid? If there is a discount for an unoccupied/unfurnished situation for September, I would think I would actually get that small discount as a refund, no?

This is all assuming that the tax year starts April 1. Is that correct? Or should I actually be calculating for January 1 - Sept 30?

• Liked: 4985
Re: Calculating Council Tax still owed
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 08:29:30 PM »
Assume nothing. Contact the council and ask what to do. People move all the time.  They’ll likely tell you the exact figure.

Unless it’s different in Scotland, you’ll only pay until the final date of your tenancy, not all of September.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 08:34:18 PM »
Yeah, well I emailed twice now...two and three weeks ago, no answer yet.

I'll try phoning them next week. But I was really hoping someone might actually know. 8)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 09:08:30 PM »
You need to notify them of your move out date anyways so they stop billing you.  No one can do that for you.  ;)

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 10:04:46 PM »
Already did that, three weeks ago....

I assume that's what generated the new bill/payment letter. Which is titled "New Method/Frequency of Payment". No other explanation with it at all.

Unfortunately, it's been pretty much impossible to get someone on the phone. I fired off another email to a different 'help'desk and we'll see what I get back. (And when.) And I'll try by phone again on Tuesday.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 08:29:59 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 768
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 08:59:43 AM »
I'm assuming you have your account registered online? You can make one time payments, fill out your change of address, move out date, etc all online.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17021

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 09:22:14 AM »
I'm assuming you have your account registered online? You can make one time payments, fill out your change of address, move out date, etc all online.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17021

Thanks. Yes. I did that. Three weeks ago.  ;D  ;D

When I log back in it shows precisely the same info that is in the mailing we received yesterday.

Back to my original question - does anyone actually know the answer to it?

[Having done a lot more reading, the year runs April 1 - March 31, so I should be in credit. I have paid an amount equal to six months' usage/tax. So since I will have only been in the flat for 5 months and then another 3 weeks with it vacant, I should get a small refund, at least. I think.]

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 09:34:26 AM »
Thanks. Yes. I did that. Three weeks ago.  ;D  ;D

When I log back in it shows precisely the same info that is in the mailing we received yesterday.

Back to my original question - does anyone actually know the answer to it?

[Having done a lot more reading, the year runs April 1 - March 31, so I should be in credit. I have paid an amount equal to six months' usage/tax. So since I will have only been in the flat for 5 months and then another 3 weeks with it vacant, I should get a small refund, at least. I think.]
Yes because you only pay for the days you live in the residence.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 09:38:39 AM »
Thanks. I have to pay up through the official tenancy end date, which is a few weeks after we've gone. Hopefully they'll give us the "vacant flat" discount for that time....

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 10:12:26 AM »
Thanks. I have to pay up through the official tenancy end date, which is a few weeks after we've gone. Hopefully they'll give us the "vacant flat" discount for that time....
No. You only pay for when you are living there, not the tenancy end date. The owners will be responsible for any days it is empty. You notify the council of the day you move out, meaning no longer having anything left in the flat. Not your contract end date.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 03:35:46 PM »
No. You only pay for when you are living there, not the tenancy end date. The owners will be responsible for any days it is empty. You notify the council of the day you move out, meaning no longer having anything left in the flat. Not your contract end date.

Actually, the council's online form asked for both dates. And I'm pretty sure in red letters at the top it said I was responsible for the charges to the end of tenancy. But there's an exemption for empty flats, so....

In reading their website closer, there actually is no way to contact them by phone. They are working remotely only.  We'll see if I get a response before we leave. I've killed the direct debit anyway - it's just a matter of how much they owe me back, I guess.

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 03:56:08 PM »
They finally emailed back, I'm 41 pounds in credit. They said to send a copy of my airline itinerary/ticket and proof of the removal of furniture (which I just handily happen to have - all 11 pages of it! - although I don't have a scanner. I took a photo of each, and hope that would suffice.) They've been sent back and I'm assuming I am exempt from paying anything after the date we leave. So I will get my 41 pounds back. Plus what I have already paid for then until  24 Sept.  when the tenancy ends. That's good.  ;D

Sponsored Links