Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: COVID and Driving License  (Read 2288 times)

• Liked: 3
Re: COVID and Driving License
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 04:59:27 PM »
Sorry no news on my end either.  I'm counting down the days until the MP I contacted should get a response.  Hopefully within the next two weeks.  I'll post as soon as I hear anything.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 10:49:49 AM »
You might want to think about booking the tests, there is going to be a huge backlog when these start again.

Apart from the car insurance costs, another good reason for passing the UK driving tests as soon as you can when you move to the UK, is that a driving offence that could be dealt with by the side of the road on a UK diriving licence, can end up in court for those on a foreign driving licence.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 10:58:25 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 957
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 11:53:49 AM »
It seems like DVLA is doing the best they can to reschedule tests. My husband had his cancelled due to lockdown, but it was quickly rescheduled to this Friday. So he has lessons Wednesday and Thursday, test Friday. So hopefully even if he fails the first try, he will have it soon!

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 01:26:55 PM »
Good to hear other’s updates, keep them coming. We had our theory tests booked for early November, but those were cancelled due to lockdown. We were able to reschedule our theory tests for next week, but the big wait is for the practical driving tests which are currently booked out 12-16 weeks nationally. And the frustrating thing is you can’t book your practical until you pass your theory. This is why an extension from the DVLA would be greatly beneficial to those of us in this situation.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 06:40:04 PM »
a driving offence that could be dealt with by the side of the road on a UK diriving licence, can end up in court for those on a foreign driving licence.
  What a load of nonsense.    I guarantee that if you get pulled over in this country for anything and get out a US license, you are going free.  People and cops generally like Americans, the paperwork would be horrific for the cop and he/she most likely has no idea what the rules are for driving on an American license. 

Of course, you would have to be pulled over first and that NEVER happens except on TV.  Cameras issue all the tickets here as the Tories have decimated all the police forces.  Not to mention that in this country it is almost certain death to get out of your car on a motorway because until very recently British people are not taught how to drive on the motorway!   Most people are absolutely clueless and will happily plow into any car stopped on the shoulder.   
In the states, cops just drive around looking for people to pull over who are doing something wrong.  That doesn't happen in this country. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 06:58:23 PM »
  What a load of nonsense.    I guarantee that if you get pulled over in this country for anything and get out a US license, you are going free.  People and cops generally like Americans, the paperwork would be horrific for the cop and he/she most likely has no idea what the rules are for driving on an American license. 

Of course, you would have to be pulled over first and that NEVER happens except on TV.  Cameras issue all the tickets here as the Tories have decimated all the police forces.  Not to mention that in this country it is almost certain death to get out of your car on a motorway because until very recently British people are not taught how to drive on the motorway!   Most people are absolutely clueless and will happily plow into any car stopped on the shoulder.   
In the states, cops just drive around looking for people to pull over who are doing something wrong.  That doesn't happen in this country. 

Ha ha!  I know an American who actually got pulled over here!  But yes, the cop loved her.  She said “But there isn’t a sign that said I CANT turn there”. He laughed and laughed saying if they had to put up a sign saying everything you couldn’t do, you wouldn’t be able to see the road.  They both got a good laugh that day.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »

What makes you think there are special rules for those driving in the UK on an American licence? As far as the UK are concerned, it's just a foreign licence and the police have very little paperwork as they pass it to the courts to deal with that driver. I've seen posts on here from US citizens who have had to take their driving licence and insurance details to the police station.

So what are you saying? That you think you wouldn't have been isssued with those speeding tickets if they had spoken to you and found out you were an American? ;D

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 07:55:41 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2020, 08:33:23 AM »
What makes you think there are special rules for those driving in the UK on an American licence? As far as the UK are concerned, it's just a foreign licence and the police have very little paperwork as they pass it to the courts to deal with that driver. I've seen posts on here from US citizens who have had to take their driving licence and insurance details to the police station.

So what are you saying? That you think you wouldn't have been isssued with those speeding tickets if they had spoken to you and found out you were an American? ;D

What I am saying is what I posted.  Yes, there are special rules for those driving on an American license.  There are special rules for EVERYTHING here for those who are American.  One of those is that you must consent to be asked if you are Canadian at least 3 times a week and then listen to every detail about their cousin who lives in Florida, or maybe Boston, they aren't sure. 
And yes, "those tickets" I got, prove my point because all of them were issued by cameras and I certainly was not pulled over. 
Another point proven is that "those tickets" is actually about 3 in 16 years of driving in this country and is a pretty normal number, no matter how salacious you try to make it sound.  So, the point proven is that most of what you say is nonsense.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 08:36:26 AM by jimbocz »

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2020, 01:35:32 PM »
Ha ha!  I know an American who actually got pulled over here!  But yes, the cop loved her.  She said “But there isn’t a sign that said I CANT turn there”. He laughed and laughed saying if they had to put up a sign saying everything you couldn’t do, you wouldn’t be able to see the road.  They both got a good laugh that day.

They don't always ticket if you are pulled over. Perhaps he was laughing at her for being stupid and not as she thought, with her?

Have you seen the post on here where somebody asked why they were told something like, well you're not stupid? Is your husabd brave enough to tell you how other countries view americans?

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2020, 01:39:58 PM »
So, the point proven is that most of what you say is nonsense.  ;D

You don't help dispel the steriotype. ;D

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2020, 01:57:23 PM »
They don't always ticket if you are pulled over. Perhaps he was laughing at her for being stupid and not as she thought, with her?

Have you seen the post on here where somebody asked why they were told something like, well you're not stupid? Is your husabd brave enough to tell you how other countries view americans?

Wow, did you really just aim a personal attack at me while calling my friend stupid?

She was pulled over in a spot where you are not allowed to turn right but EVERYBODY does. She was following the other cars. She was one of about 9 cars pulled over on “that light cycle”. 

My husband actually finds me kind, honest, intelligent, hard working, a good wife, and a good mother. He is impressed at “my balls” at work and breaking the glass ceiling for women in business. He thinks it was incredibly brave of me to take an opportunity to move to another country and not just adapt to the culture but embrace it and respect it.  He feels my education made me a much more well rounded person than his curriculum offered. I’ve finds my family are welcoming and hospitable.  Pretty safe to say if he felt the way about Americans that you do, he wouldn’t have knelt on one knee, asked me to marry him, and create a family with me. And thankfully I know he represents the British people quite well.

• Liked: 424
COVID and Driving License
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2020, 05:35:53 PM »
Sirius, try looking in the mirror before you attack people because you’re so perfect.
Your comments are rude and inappropriate at best, and xenophobic or racist at worst.
I get nothing but kind and friendly conversation and remarks from pretty much everyone I talk to, and I talk to a very wide variety of people from all over the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 06:25:09 PM by Rick Stephens »

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2020, 06:20:17 PM »
You don't help dispel the steriotype. ;D
  Thinking to myself..."Did she just misspell stereotype at the same time as calling other people stupid?  Or is this some sophisticated British subtle humour with all that irony that Americans don't get?  Is Sirius playing 3d chess while we are all playing checkers, or is she just off her meds again?"

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2020, 07:31:25 PM »
Sorry but for those of us not able to drive this is not helping.  I keep hoping for some good news!

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2020, 09:23:56 PM »
Sorry but for those of us not able to drive this is not helping.  I keep hoping for some good news!

So sorry Panacea.  We should not have taken this thread into the weeds.

What I will say is that the government has put in MANY extensions of sorts since March, but nothing against driving licences.  I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.  Big hugs!

Sponsored Links