Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cannot verify identity gov.uk site  (Read 786 times)

• Liked: 239
Cannot verify identity gov.uk site
« on: August 25, 2020, 07:34:20 PM »
I’m trying to check my National Insurance record and cannot get them to verify my identity. I have a US passport, not UK. I don’t have a P60 and I don’t have any credit (I’m assuming as I’ve tried that option as well). No matter what I pick, it says “we cannot verify your identity”

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else have this problem? I was going to register to vote but wanted to make sure my details were correctly listed on my National Insurance record first.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 6110
Re: Cannot verify identity gov.uk site
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 07:43:56 PM »
I’m trying to check my National Insurance record and cannot get them to verify my identity. I have a US passport, not UK. I don’t have a P60 and I don’t have any credit (I’m assuming as I’ve tried that option as well). No matter what I pick, it says “we cannot verify your identity”

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else have this problem? I was going to register to vote but wanted to make sure my details were correctly listed on my National Insurance record first.

We had that problem with my husband's details. I think one of the more obscure options worked in the end but it's a huge pita.

Maybe try tech support?
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/online-services-helpdesk

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 07:45:03 PM »
Thank you @larrabee!

FLR(M) Standard

• Liked: 26
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 05:06:54 PM »
Hi @KristieP2018 - I ran into the same issue because I only have a US passport and no credit here in the UK. I rung up HMRC and they couldn't figure out a workaround, so they told me I would just need to print the tax return pages and fill them out manually and send them in via post. A few more steps, but the people on the phone are actually very helpful and they can tell you exactly which forms you need to print. Here's what he told me to do:

Go to www.gov.uk
In the search bar, type: SA100, and all the different forms should pull up.
For my case, I need to print these foroms:
SA100 - the main tax return form
SA106 - Foreign income (I still have my job in the US, but you would probably need SA102 if you're working here)
SA108 - capital gains summary
SA109 - residence, remittance basis, etc

Just to clarify, I do NOT know what I am doing beyond that, and this is my first year, so definitely give them a call to confirm. That's just what they told me :)

Applied from: Florida, US
Priority: Yes
Online application submitted: Jan 25 2019
Biometrics & docs mailed: Jan 29 2019
Documents received in NY: Jan 30, 2019
Documents received by Sheffield on: Mar 4, 2019
Case Escalated: Mar 20, 2019
Case Escalated again: Mar 27, 2019
Decision Made Email: Apr 3, 2019
Received Passport: Apr 4, 2019
YES!

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 05:13:58 PM »
Thank you @AMM1987 but it is not for taxes. I’m trying to register to vote. Sorry for any confusion  :)

FLR(M) Standard

• Liked: 102
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 06:50:07 PM »
Hi @KristieP2018 - I ran into the same issue because I only have a US passport and no credit here in the UK. I rung up HMRC and they couldn't figure out a workaround, so they told me I would just need to print the tax return pages and fill them out manually and send them in via post. A few more steps, but the people on the phone are actually very helpful and they can tell you exactly which forms you need to print. Here's what he told me to do:

Go to www.gov.uk
In the search bar, type: SA100, and all the different forms should pull up.
For my case, I need to print these foroms:
SA100 - the main tax return form
SA106 - Foreign income (I still have my job in the US, but you would probably need SA102 if you're working here)
SA108 - capital gains summary
SA109 - residence, remittance basis, etc

Just to clarify, I do NOT know what I am doing beyond that, and this is my first year, so definitely give them a call to confirm. That's just what they told me :)

Assuming you are living in the UK, your Employment income is primarily taxable by the UK and is reported to HMRC on an Employment page. Doubtless you'll want to pay HMRC for both 2019-20 and 2020-21no later than 31 December 2020 so that you can claim foreign tax credits on your 2020 US return.

Sponsored Links