Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can't get rid of me, can ya?  (Read 2386 times)

• Liked: 676
Can't get rid of me, can ya?
« on: August 31, 2020, 06:13:22 PM »
We made it. Uneventful flight from Glasgow (literally almost nobody in the airport at 05:00) to the Netherlands. The taxi driver to the airport said it was the first fare to the airport he'd had since April. We were lucky to get our flight (Delta) as I think they are only flying to Boston a couple of times a week now.

Some weather just before landing, beautiful rainbow out the window in the rising sun. The daughter and at least 20 other people got pulled aside for enhanced security at Schipol Airport. Complete check of all her carry-ons, swabbed her and it for explosives. Bad feeling in the airport there, nothing open, people grim. We were wondering if there was some sort of threat made to the flight. There were only about 75 people on the flight to Boston, so we each had our own row, and the service from the air crew was exemplary - and the food, which we had not expected to have at all, was really good. Flight landed early.

Got the rental car fine. (Nice car, almost new. Felt good to be competent behind the wheel again!) The drive on the 90 west through MA was gorgeous and the road was very good. Absolutely beautiful weather - the daughter is saying that if that was a typical summer day she's going to love it here. (It was in the upper 70s, puffy white clouds, blue skies. I didn't want to destroy that illusion, so I did not.   ;)) We made it from the airport to the hotel in very good time.

The hotel goofed on our reservation, had put us in a room with no fridge/microwave, so we got upgraded by the manager and are in a suite on the top floor. It's lovely. Amazingly cheap rate. Huge TV, desk, couch, massive bed, kitchenette. Very few people staying in the hotel, which is good. Nice area around us - a basically empty office park - so we can easily take a walk every day without running into anyone. Breakfast was supposed to be breakfast sandwiches and turned out to be granola bars and an apple, so we're about to go out and scout for food nearby. There is a Dunkin within an easy walk.

We have to take the rental car back in a few hours, and will then be "in" for the next week. And we are both glad of it - we are exhausted, and sleeping on air mattresses the last week in Glasgow meant we didn't sleep well. All-in-all, it was a good trip and we are happy to be in our room where it is quiet and we can just sleep. Will be sleeping probably a lot of today, come to think of it, as I am really really tired.

But we made it!  ;D

• Liked: 6110
Re: Can't get rid of me, can ya?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 06:18:55 PM »
We made it. Uneventful flight from Glasgow (literally almost nobody in the airport at 05:00) to the Netherlands. The taxi driver to the airport said it was the first fare to the airport he'd had since April. We were lucky to get our flight (Delta) as I think they are only flying to Boston a couple of times a week now.

Some weather just before landing, beautiful rainbow out the window in the rising sun. The daughter and at least 20 other people got pulled aside for enhanced security at Schipol Airport. Complete check of all her carry-ons, swabbed her and it for explosives. Bad feeling in the airport there, nothing open, people grim. We were wondering if there was some sort of threat made to the flight. There were only about 75 people on the flight to Boston, so we each had our own row, and the service from the air crew was exemplary - and the food, which we had not expected to have at all, was really good. Flight landed early.

Got the rental car fine. (Nice car, almost new. Felt good to be competent behind the wheel again!) The drive on the 90 west through MA was gorgeous and the road was very good. Absolutely beautiful weather - the daughter is saying that if that was a typical summer day she's going to love it here. (It was in the upper 70s, puffy white clouds, blue skies. I didn't want to destroy that illusion, so I did not.   ;)) We made it from the airport to the hotel in very good time.

The hotel goofed on our reservation, had put us in a room with no fridge/microwave, so we got upgraded by the manager and are in a suite on the top floor. It's lovely. Amazingly cheap rate. Huge TV, desk, couch, massive bed, kitchenette. Very few people staying in the hotel, which is good. Nice area around us - a basically empty office park - so we can easily take a walk every day without running into anyone. Breakfast was supposed to be breakfast sandwiches and turned out to be granola bars and an apple, so we're about to go out and scout for food nearby. There is a Dunkin within an easy walk.

We have to take the rental car back in a few hours, and will then be "in" for the next week. And we are both glad of it - we are exhausted, and sleeping on air mattresses the last week in Glasgow meant we didn't sleep well. All-in-all, it was a good trip and we are happy to be in our room where it is quiet and we can just sleep. Will be sleeping probably a lot of today, come to think of it, as I am really really tired.

But we made it!  ;D

Thanks for the update Nan!  :) Enjoy the rest!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 06:24:54 PM »
Glad you made it safely!! Enjoy the rest.

There have been some publicised redundancies of airport staff in the UK, I'm guessing it's the same everywhere. The mood in general in the world isn't a happy one right now. :(

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 11:57:30 PM »
Oh, man, I've got a California King with the most amazing topper on it...  ;D

The mood at the airport went far beyond the workers. I don't know if it's always that way at Schipol, but it sure seemed like something was up - screening/swabbibg basically 1/3 of the passengers going on a flight? Pretty much anyone who appeared to be under 30? Odd.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 08:13:14 PM »
Oh, man, I've got a California King with the most amazing topper on it...  ;D

The mood at the airport went far beyond the workers. I don't know if it's always that way at Schipol, but it sure seemed like something was up - screening/swabbibg basically 1/3 of the passengers going on a flight? Pretty much anyone who appeared to be under 30? Odd.
I always get picked for secondary screening there. It is no big deal. There is always a passenger list of about 10-15 per flight that I've been able to count.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 424
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 09:26:12 PM »
You just look suspicious! Like me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 09:10:26 PM »
I’m another one picked usually. But rather they randomly check, than not at all!

Glad you’re all settled into your hotel, Nan!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 9
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 07:07:22 PM »
I keep thinking of you Nan and wondered how you are since moving back to the US. Glad I saw this thread.

I am always chosen for extra screening and I haven't really traveled all that much. SFO, Manchester, Helsinki. All have swabbed and thoroughly checked me. I don't know how I fit a profile or what profile I fit exactly but I must fit something.

How are you liking it back in the US so far?
==Beginning my journey (work in progress)==
Date of fiance(e) visa application: July 11, 2020
Date of biometrics: July 20, 2020
Date documents sent to NY Hub: July 21, 2020
...more coming soon!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 07:56:26 PM »
They *always* pull my husband.  Which is a nightmare when you get "early boarding" for having small kids.  So I'll have the buggy collapsed, two kids, all our carryon bags (I'm one who has every possible scenario on a flight/trip worked out so pretty much have everything but the kitchen sink with me) and I'm off to the side trying to manager all of that.  People always think I'm some poor single mom trying to get onto a plane and WAY over my head.   ;D

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 05:03:15 AM »
Ya know, we are now halfway through our quarantine. It seems a lot longer.  ;) All the food commercials on TV - Sonic is pushing milkshakes - is just killing me!  ;) ;) I have water, tea, coffee and long-life milk. Ran out of sugar, so I can't drink the coffee. Half a pizza left, some bread and peanut butter. Guess I'll order more groceries tomorrow They charge an arm and a leg to deliver groceries here. I got spoiled by Tesco's cheap delivery subscription fees.

Looks like some things here have not changed. Last Monday I had our stacked-up mail FedExed to the hotel from Houston. FedEx "attempted delivery" on Saturday and said it could not be delivered because I wasn't available or the business was closed. And that it now would be delivered by EOB on Wednesday (the 9th). Huh. Now isn't that odd (she said, voice dripping with sarcasm). It's a Hotel. Front Desk is fully staffed. My room number is on the label, nobody showed up at my door. Not quite sure where they went. Only found out today when I logged in to check, as I assumed it would have arrived already. Mostly nothing too terribly important in the package. But still.... ::)

Phoned the 1-800 number for FedEx and got a live body who apologized and said it would be here on Tuesday. (They're closed for Labor Day tomorrow.) Had them verify the delivery address. They had no idea why it hadn't been delivered. Apologized again.  Uh huh.

As I can't go pick it up, I sure hope this doesn't turn into one of those insane instances where the darn thing goes back to the sender (aka Houston) and we have to go through it all again. But if it does, I hope it goes there relatively quickly and they don't end up trying to deliver it here to the hotel in two weeks. Hopefully by this time next week I will only have another day or two in the hotel, so there won't be time to have it resent here. Hopefully also, then, I'll have another address to have it sent to. Assuming it's not lost.

I just really don't want to have to deal with all that, though. Maybe I'll get lucky and they actually will deliver it on Tuesday. Sent also a message via Twitter direct mail to them, as that tends to get things actually done. Fingers are crossed.

At least there is some continuity in the universe.  ;)

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »
Wooooooo!!!!!

This notice is to inform you that based on your certification that you have met the clearance criteria set forth by the  Department of Health, you are released from quarantine related to your exposure to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, as of 2020-09-13.

Accordingly, you are no longer under travel or activity restrictions outlined in the Department of Health Quarantine Order. However, due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, this does not release you from any other restrictions contained in any Executive Order issued by the Governor , County officials, or any applicable State or local laws. It is expected that, though released from quarantine, you will still adhere to these mandates and recommendations, as applicable to you, including physical distancing when possible and appropriate use of face coverings.

You should continue to practice proper hygiene protocols (e.g. hand washing, covering coughs) and should avoid prolonged, close contact with vulnerable people (e.g. people with compromised immune systems, underlying illness, or 70 years of age or older).

If you work in a healthcare setting, including a nursing home, you should speak with your employer regarding their recommendations for resuming direct patient care in accordance with the guidance from the State Department of Health.

You may share this letter with your employer or school as confirmation that you are no longer required to remain quarantined.

We would like to thank you for your cooperation and efforts to protect the health of your community and ask that you continue to exercise care and caution.

I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (as of tonight at midnight).  ;D ;D

I think they sell ice cream in the minimart in the lobby....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 08:19:48 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 718
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 08:28:06 PM »
Congratulations!!
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 424
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 08:29:01 PM »
Hooray for you! Free, Free at last!

• Liked: 6110