Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Flying to USA  (Read 1847 times)

• Liked: 8
Flying to USA
« on: September 02, 2020, 09:50:37 AM »
Morning All

Just seeing if anyone has more awareness, knowledge than me on the following

My Wife (USA Citizen) is flying back to America in October for a while and wishes me to join her in November for a few weeks.  I am UK Citizen

From what I understand as I am her Spouse, then that allows me to travel into USA and not have to isolate for 14 days, if I have read the rules correctly

What I am not 100% sure of though is can I travel in without her  she would pick me up at Airport, or is the exception only for those that travel together.

The quarranine on the way back I dont care about, she is in it now after flying back on Sunday and I have just done it from Spain 2 weeks ago :-)

Thanks in advance

• Liked: 3595
Re: Flying to USA
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 10:53:46 AM »
From what I understand as I am her Spouse, then that allows me to travel into USA and not have to isolate for 14 days, if I have read the rules correctly

Being the spouse of a US citizen simply means you are allowed to enter the US in the first place (you are not restricted from travelling). It does not mean you do not have to isolate.

Whether or not you will be required to isolate for 14 days when you arrive will depend on the requirements of the state you will be visiting. So, you will need to check the specific state's quarantine rules to find out if you need to isolate or not.

What I am not 100% sure of though is can I travel in without her  she would pick me up at Airport, or is the exception only for those that travel together.

You should be able to travel without her (I think we've seen a couple of people fly out to visit their spouses who are still living in the US).

The exception is that family members of US citizens and people on certain visas are still allowed enter the US, while everyone else is currently subject to the travel restrictions.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 11:12:56 AM »
Thanks Ksand, that is how I read it when looking up on USA Government Web Sites,    so as her Husband I believe I dont have to isolate....

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 11:27:55 AM »
Thanks Ksand, that is how I read it when looking up on USA Government Web Sites,    so as her Husband I believe I dont have to isolate....

Why do you believe that? Being her husband has nothing to do with whether or not you have to isolate.

Being her husband just means that you are legally allowed to travel to the US, whereas someone who is not married to a US citizen (for example, myself) cannot travel to the US. Being her husband will only get you through US immigration. Nothing more.

Whether or not you have to isolate after entering the US depends on whether the state you are flying into requires travellers from the UK to isolate when they arrive or not.

Taking a quick look at your previous posts, you would be travelling to San Francisco, correct? So, you need to look up the California state requirements to see whether they require travellers from the UK to isolate upon arrival or not.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 11:33:47 AM »
A couple of members who are US citizens,  just flew to the US and are currently isolating.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 12:04:16 PM »
IF I was to travel with my Wife it would make no sense I have to isolate yet she doesnt!  (I know I said I wouldnt be travelling with her) Ill take a further dig around see if I can find some clarity...   thank you

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 12:15:17 PM »
IF I was to travel with my Wife it would make no sense I have to isolate yet she doesnt!  (I know I said I wouldnt be travelling with her) Ill take a further dig around see if I can find some clarity...   thank you

Well, if the state does not require her to isolate, then you won't have to isolate either, because that means no one travelling from the UK has to isolate when they arrive... that's why I said check the state requirements.

It's not related to you being married to each other - whether isolation is required or not (for anyone) depends on what the state has decided regarding travellers entering the US and may depend on the specific country you have travelled from.

If the state requires isolation for travellers from the UK, then both you and your wife will be required to isolate.

If the state does not require isolation for travellers from the UK, then neither you nor your wife will be required to isolate.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:18:03 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 676
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »
We're isolating/quarantining now - arrived in Boston on Sunday, drove the rest of the way to our destination to avoid public transit/another flight. We had planned to voluntarily quarantine, so we stopped on the way and ran in a  shop and got an ice chest, because hotel mini-fridges are notorious for not actually keeping anything cold. (Turned out to be a good choice.) Also some frozen breakfast stuff, since although our hotel said it came with a breakfast we knew most of the hotels had stopped serving and only had minimal food available. For us, they have a granola bar, coffee, an apple, and a pastry every morning. Not good for anyone with blood sugar issues. We were hoping to have food sent in, but most of the local restaurants are either not delivering now or have gone out of business. We can get Pizza Hut sent in, though.  :) I was able to arrange with a grocery store to send us groceries, which will arrive later today. As we have a microwave and ice, we will be fine. The hotel had upgraded us to a suite, so we have a little living room and a little kitchenette, a desk and couch, a lovely view and a huge TV.   ;D And the most gloriously productive air-conditioning unit on the planet.

So we were planning to quarantine anyway as it was recommended, but yesterday evening got a call from the State's track-and-trace making it a requirement. There is absolutely nothing online that I found (after a month of searching) that indicated we'd be under mandatory quarantine. There's a lot about people coming in from "hot" states having that requirement, but nothing about foreign travelers. (Although it's completely logical.) When we flew in we were given a CDC sheet to fill in that asked if we had been in any of several listed countries (the UK being on that list), and our contact info, so that is, I believe where the trigger was. In my email later I found a legal/dept of health formal order that prevents us from leaving our room.

Aside from cutting us off from the coffee in the lobby and being able to walk across the street to collect online-ordered burgers (which we weren't planning to do regularly), the order has changed nothing. Except that I picked this hotel because it was in a low-density zone,  a business park where there was plenty of space to walk outside for exercise with the prospect of meeting anyone as almost nil. Too bad, it looks lovely out there, but it's only for another 10 days and then we are free.

To the OP - the CDC recommends voluntary 14 day quarantines for overseas visitors to the USA. It's up to the individual states as to what they will mandate. I am willing to bet that you'll get slapped with an order if you visit. California is having a really rough time of it right now.  The state I'm in has pretty much got it beat back (one of the reasons we came here), but they are incredibly vigilant. It is, really, a kind of life-and-death thing, and should not be trifled with.

It's nice, though. They will call us daily, and if we need anything (food, cleaning supplies, etc.) they said they will arrange for us to get it. We just have to ask for it. Everyone we met here has been absolutely wonderful, so far.  I don't remember America as being this friendly!  8)

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 09:50:26 AM »
Hi Nan D,

Ive just been through Quarantine myself coming back into UK 2 weeks ago from SPain, so I feel your pain, although I had the benefit of being at home!

IVe searched and searched and searched for CAlifornia and can not find anything stating its mandatory,  When my Wife flew into California a few weeks ago she was told it was recommended to isolate but not told it was mandatory.  Im just wondering if I would get treated different being a UK person and flying in on my own to meet up with her.    She did say the flight back to the UK from SAn Fran last weekend was more safer than shopping in Tesco's though there were only 20 passengers on board!....

• Liked: 957
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 10:49:30 AM »

She did say the flight back to the UK from SAn Fran last weekend was more safer than shopping in Tesco's though there were only 20 passengers on board!....

This isn't surprising at all. The government here wants everyone back to work in offices so of course no one is taking it seriously in shops either. (I'm glad the Bank of England pushed back and said that a full return to offices is not a reasonable expectation and goes against the public health advice.)

Also - glad you picked a good spot for quarantine Nan! It's disappointing they won't let you out for exercise, but it must be nice they upgraded you to a suite for the two weeks!

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »
Yeah, it's nice. I was looking at little cabins by lakes and stuff, but they were twice the cost and actually, aside from being a little bored, I'm happy enough here. I just want to get to the apartments to view them and get into one of them, rather than sitting here in a hotel room. Our stuff isn't due to arrive in-country until the 18th at the earliest and then we have another week after that before we'd have to have it shunted to $torage, so there's time. I just want to get into somewhere and be settled again. But it's not much different than when we were in lockdown in Glasgow, aside from not being able to take a walk. The TV is better.  ;)

California doesn't seem to have the same mindset as the state we are currently camped in - not nearly as strict. Honestly, I think it would be better for them if they did tighten it way up. But they won't, and people will die needlessly because of that. I don't think they care about the nationality of whoever travels there, to tell you the truth. The Feds may have some issues with some populations, but Cali I don't think really would  do.

We are both still really tired - both the stress of "everything" and jet lag, and sleeping on air-mattresses for a week (ok, not really sleeping much). I was hoping I was adapting time zones as I managed to stay up to 11pm the night before last and woke at 8:00 yesterday morning, but I fell asleep at 8pm again last night and woke up at 3:30 again. My brain is till on UK time, which is very annoying....

• Liked: 957
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 07:30:57 PM »
Do you have any melatonin? I use a small dose of that to shift sleep schedules when I have jetlag (like 1mg, I cut the 5mg pills in quarters)

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 08:09:55 PM »
I packed a lot of stuff in that extra suitcase, but melatonin wasn't on the list.  ;)

To the OP:  bottom line is that even if there's no mandatory quarantine for Cali, the local health authority can order it. As has happened to us. It would be a crapshoot as to if they did or didn't in SF.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 02:49:38 PM »
Nan, are you and your daughter stuck in a hotel room together for 10 days WITHOUT INTERNET? 
Oh to be a fly on the wall!

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 12:55:56 PM »
Hah.

No way. I brought my old Dell laptop and it's working great.  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab