Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Voting in US Elections from Overseas  (Read 11104 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Voting in US Elections from Overseas
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2020, 03:47:32 PM »
I’m resigned to the fact that it is going to be another 4 years of hell regardless of who wins. 45% of the electorate are going to be convinced that it was fraud if Trump loses and since the Dems have not won the Senate Mitch McConnell will renew the pledge he made in 2008 that he will do all in his power to block everything he can and make this a 1 term Presidency.  Also ends the hopes of Washington DC gaining statehood, where there are more citizens than several of the smaller States combined but have little to no representation in Congress. Even if Trump is defeated Trumpism lives on.

If Trump wins then it’s a victory for the plutocrats and 4 more years of the US moving ever closer to an autocracy.  It’s a year of the census so the GOP will do even more gerrymandering to ensure they continue to win seats in districts where they are the minority. Supercomputers are used to draw electoral boundaries these days and those boundaries are drawn by the ruling political party. What an absurd system.

I cannot dispute anything you've said here.  (I'd give it a "like" but I don't actually like it.  I just agree with it.)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »
Even if Biden doesn't win, I'm incredibly sad that Trump got sooo many votes.  If half of Americans can vote for Trump then I don't know America any more.  I used to think Americans were innately kind and good hearted but now I know at least half are ignorant racists, proud of their ignorance and racism. 

• Liked: 149
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2020, 08:28:42 PM »
Even if Biden doesn't win, I'm incredibly sad that Trump got sooo many votes.  If half of Americans can vote for Trump then I don't know America any more.  I used to think Americans were innately kind and good hearted but now I know at least half are ignorant racists, proud of their ignorance and racism. 
It's not that you don't know America any more.....like me....you just didn't realise the vast difference in how people view things. I (and you) may think it's obvious, but....jeez......in the real world, my views are just one of many views (even though mine are the correct of course...)
Fred

• Liked: 957
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2020, 12:52:38 AM »
Anyone from Georgia? 17529 votes from abroad!

• Liked: 672
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2020, 05:33:15 AM »
And, as predicted (hell, it wasn't that tough of a prediction)....

Trump's brownshirt-wannabes are threatening officials and those doing the vote counts in some states. Workers are having to have police protection to get to and from their stations.  Yeah, well, kill one, two will arise it it's place. Hail Hydra. Or hail someone, anyway. I've seen this movie before and it damned well needs to be re scripted. Now.  >:(  Tailgunner Joe was enough. We don't need this nonsense again!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/10/21/election-2020-feds-investigating-voter-email-threats-purportedly-from-proud-boys/3713840001/

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/524532-stop-the-count-protesters-push-toward-door-of-detroit-ballot-counting

https://www.businessinsider.com/videos-trump-protesters-michigan-arizona-vote-count-2020-11
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 05:57:20 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 170
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2020, 07:10:05 AM »
I guess Trump never learned that people don’t like a sore loser. And what a loser... lost two popular votes.

Will be teaching my child(REN) to lose with grace.

But yeah, I don’t know that place at all. How do you bring together two (roughly) halves where one is full of wide-eyes conspiracy theorists who don’t believe facts, truth??

The worst thing Obama ever did was pave the way for this. Honestly, I place a lot of blame there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2020, 08:33:33 AM »
The worst thing Obama ever did was pave the way for this. Honestly, I place a lot of blame there.
That's interesting!  What specifically did you have in mind?  Obama did a lot of things I didn't agree with, but I can't think of anything related to de-legitimising our democracy if that's what you mean by "this". 
Does anyone else remember the day Trump moved into the White House?  He was terrified and obviously in awe of Obama.  Both Obamas were super nice and did everything they could to accept Trump as a real President, while Trump had a look like someone who lied on their CV to get a job and just figured out how little they know. 
I wonder what it will be like for Biden? 

• Liked: 957
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2020, 10:05:25 AM »

Not nearly as friendly. Trump probably won't continue the letter tradition, or if he does it will just be whining about how he won and the election was stolen from him.

Georgia has flipped to Dems this morning! A lot could still change, but it looks like votes from abroad have really mattered there.

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2020, 10:53:54 AM »
That's interesting!  What specifically did you have in mind?  Obama did a lot of things I didn't agree with, but I can't think of anything related to de-legitimising our democracy if that's what you mean by "this". 
Does anyone else remember the day Trump moved into the White House?  He was terrified and obviously in awe of Obama.  Both Obamas were super nice and did everything they could to accept Trump as a real President, while Trump had a look like someone who lied on their CV to get a job and just figured out how little they know. 
By ‘this’, I mean setting up such divisiveness and creating a situation where trump could be considered as a human being, let alone an actual viable presidential candidate. The vitriol began before trump was elected. The rift widened deeply (and maybe is now irreparable) 2008-2016 so that this thing could be elected president. I don’t dare call him human.

I don’t know what needs to happen for the two halves to join back together to the point that there can be real discourse or dialogue. For that to happen, the two halves need to live on the same planet.

My first response to trump’s election in 2016 was, “this is a scathing indictment of the American education system for the last 30 years.” Maybe education could be part of the answer??

Granted, I haven’t lived in the US since before the Obama years (I was a Bush refugee). So this is purely from my completely outside the system observations.

I’d be happy to be corrected, as I see such bleakness in the situation. I just don’t think it ends with Biden winning...

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2020, 06:03:53 PM »
By ‘this’, I mean setting up such divisiveness and creating a situation where trump could be considered as a human being, let alone an actual viable presidential candidate. The vitriol began before trump was elected. The rift widened deeply (and maybe is now irreparable) 2008-2016 so that this thing could be elected president. I don’t dare call him human.

I don’t know what needs to happen for the two halves to join back together to the point that there can be real discourse or dialogue. For that to happen, the two halves need to live on the same planet.

My first response to trump’s election in 2016 was, “this is a scathing indictment of the American education system for the last 30 years.” Maybe education could be part of the answer??

Granted, I haven’t lived in the US since before the Obama years (I was a Bush refugee). So this is purely from my completely outside the system observations.

I’d be happy to be corrected, as I see such bleakness in the situation. I just don’t think it ends with Biden winning...

Not sure I agree that Obama created the divisiveness, it seems to me that it was thrust upon him by the Republicans at the time.  That's OK, though, I'm not correcting anyone who's not a racist Trump supporter. 
I also have a hard time thinking about the two halves joining back together because I refuse to join back with people that are racist and trying to kill our very Democracy.  Screw them, I am right to not be racist and think that every vote should be counted in an election.  There are not good people on both sides of this particular debate at this point. 

Check this out, I'm not really a fan of Colbert and certainly not a fan of "breaking down on camera", but it's pretty powerful stuff

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/stephen-colbert-breaks-down-show-131819061.html

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2020, 07:49:24 PM »
I cried during that monologue. Have enjoyed Colbert’s witticisms for years. Also glad he dropped the faux-right wing act. It’s unbecoming in these times. I don’t think Americans would understand it as irony anymore...

Agreed there are not correct people on both sides. A million percent. But I just don’t see how this can’t end up in them vs is forever, which is honestly something I don’t want.

How do you get people to believe facts again? How do you silence, disarm and neutralise such a huge radical right (all trumpers are radicals)?

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2020, 04:47:06 PM »
I cried during that monologue. Have enjoyed Colbert’s witticisms for years. Also glad he dropped the faux-right wing act. It’s unbecoming in these times. I don’t think Americans would understand it as irony anymore...

Agreed there are not correct people on both sides. A million percent. But I just don’t see how this can’t end up in them vs is forever, which is honestly something I don’t want.

How do you get people to believe facts again? How do you silence, disarm and neutralise such a huge radical right (all trumpers are radicals)?

I think it's mostly fashion for a lot of people.  Like supporting a sports team extra visibly when they are winning some championship, or suddenly becoming an expert on epidemiology during the pandemic. Once Trump is seen as a the loser he ism it won't be cool to be racist anymore and lots of people will pretend they were never really Trump supporters.   

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2020, 05:32:34 PM »
Apparently he’s out golfing right now. I vote that they change the locks to the White House now. I don’t see him going quietly, or in fact at all.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2020, 07:17:01 PM »
Apparently he’s out golfing right now. I vote that they change the locks to the White House now. I don’t see him going quietly, or in fact at all.

They would do that on the UK since the PM and family have to vacate 10 Downing Street the day after the election results if they lose.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 672
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2020, 09:09:50 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sponsored Links