Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Voting in US Elections from Overseas  (Read 11105 times)

• Liked: 19
Re: Voting in US Elections from Overseas
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2020, 09:27:41 AM »
Durhamlad glad to see someone else from Texas that didn't vote for the toddler in office. Although, sadly my county voted overwhelmingly in that direction due to being small town Texas, so my vote didn't really make a difference.
It's refreshing to see some Texans that aren't brainwashed trumpbot.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of any politician at the moment, I think they are all a bunch of self serving barstewards. I just wanted trump out. He's caused enough trouble and his campaign of fear and hatred needed stopping. Hopefully we have turned a corner now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It doesn't cost a thing to treat others with kindness.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2020, 10:22:49 AM »
Durhamlad glad to see someone else from Texas that didn't vote for the toddler in office. Although, sadly my county voted overwhelmingly in that direction due to being small town Texas, so my vote didn't really make a difference.
It's refreshing to see some Texans that aren't brainwashed trumpbot.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of any politician at the moment, I think they are all a bunch of self serving barstewards. I just wanted trump out. He's caused enough trouble and his campaign of fear and hatred needed stopping. Hopefully we have turned a corner now.

Hola!

We knew a lot of really nice people in Texas but could never understand their extreme right-wing views and the conspiracy theories they believed in. We were retired for the last 6 years we lived there so used to spend a lot of time in the communal area of the YMCA we used to go to. We had a bizarre discussion in 2010 after the ACA passed (Obamacare). A bunch of our retired friends  were convinced that to stay on Medicare they were going to be required to have microchips inserted under their skin.  Just one example of many weird and exhausting conversations.

Back on topic, we are delighted at the overall result but disappointed that Trump took 24 States and the GOP held onto the Senate.

Back in 2016 he claimed that he lost the popular vote by 3 million because of illegal immigrants voting.  Using his own twisted logic that means during his own time in office another 2 million illegal immigrants entered the country and they all voted for Biden.

I fear that we have not seen the last of Trumpism
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »

I fear that we have not seen the last of Trumpism

Yes, I completely agree. Growing up in small town Texas, racism, etc has always been there mostly in the background, sometimes blatantly, and Trump only brought those well hidden beliefs to the surface. He made it acceptable to be racist. I know lots of people in Texas who are amazing, sadly though alot of people in my hometown are very Conservative Trump supporters, my family included.
These past four years have been difficult trying to come to terms with how my parents can support someone who is so obviously (to me) unscrupulous and divisive. I just refused to speak to them about it, period, they have always been staunchly conservative Christians and trying to reason with them just isn't possible.
I don't really understand how people can just so blindly follow someone like that, and so blindly believe in all these crazy conspiracy theories that have been floating around. Reading and watching the news from the states has been so upsetting, I had to stop following the news altogether for awhile just to keep my self sane!

I am still worried that things will get worse, especially if Biden forces stronger restrictions to control the coronavirus pandemic. People in America were already in a state of unrest about it, not wanting to wear masks and protesting the closing of businesses.
Also, most of these trump supporters are heavily armed and if pushed hard enough could try to start a civil war. I've seen lots of them talking about it all over social media. It's frightening.

I'm trying to stay positive and be hopeful about it all, I guess time will tell whether things will get better.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2020, 01:05:07 PM »
If Trump decided to copy this exact concession speech Senator John McCain gave (changing names and such), it would go a long way to uniting people.  He won't though.  While McCain didn't get my vote in 2008, he was a faithful American and literally gave his life in service of the USA.  We  need people like this - faithful Americans who give their lives over to service in the USA - to be running for President!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2020, 02:09:31 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about Utah.  %58 for Trump, %37 for Biden.  I used to think Mormons were OK, even had some Mormon friends who were really nice and not crazy at all other than believing all that Mormon stuff.  Now what am I supposed to think since %58 voted for the racist *bleep* grabber?  They couldn't have made a bigger sign that their religion is a joke and they are all hypocrites.  Good job spreading that faith you bunch of morons!  Can I come to Utah and start grabbing pussies since y'all seem to think it's OK?  Except I wouldn't do that even if I could because I've got morals!   Unlike people from Utah and the people they vote for. 
Disgusting. 

• Liked: 716
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2020, 02:25:29 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about Utah.  %58 for Trump, %37 for Biden.  I used to think Mormons were OK, even had some Mormon friends who were really nice and not crazy at all other than believing all that Mormon stuff.  Now what am I supposed to think since %58 voted for the racist *bleep* grabber?  They couldn't have made a bigger sign that their religion is a joke and they are all hypocrites.  Good job spreading that faith you bunch of morons!  Can I come to Utah and start grabbing pussies since y'all seem to think it's OK?  Except I wouldn't do that even if I could because I've got morals!   Unlike people from Utah and the people they vote for. 
Disgusting.

Not only did I have a number of Mormon friends, I also worked for a large chemical company owned by Mormons and like you I only had positive experiences and feelings towards them.

As you say, very strange to see such a large Trump following in Utah. Then again I remain amazed at his huge following among evangelical Christians, I just don’t understand it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 02:35:26 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2020, 02:39:22 PM »
Evangelicals pushing for the Trump vote isn't a huge surprise to me, it was, in my view, the Trump campaign's plan all along to get the votes in. That's probably why they picked Pence to be VP, he's an evangelical. Religion is huge in the states, and especially so in the rural areas. Evangelicals have been trying for years to infiltrate the government, it's been Pence's dream and the reason why he got into politics. The GOP likely picked Trump because of his ability to relate to normal people because he's not all presidential, and the way he pretended to be religious just clenched it for him. I know in my own experience, church pastors have been pushing the Trump vote hard, because of 'evangelical' platform they ran on.

Sponsored Links