Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: COVID  (Read 45267 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: COVID
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 02:07:45 PM »
Retired university academic personnel analyst.  :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 02:26:44 PM »
I ordered a sad light. It arrives tomorrow.

The part I find hard about not being in the office has been the onboarding in my new role. In the office, people will overhear your conversation and say “have you asked Nick?  I think he did something like that for Client.”  And just the chatter with others. Having to schedule EVERYTHING is tiring.

I LOVE my commute. And I love picking my daughter up from school. But I suffer from terrible insomnia and have always struggled to get up in the morning. Now I don’t need to roll out of bed until 8:55am so I go to bed really late. It’s not good.

Hope the SAD light helps!

Last winter seemed unusually dark in Scotland, and the Daughter was suffering from it very badly. We both noticed that when she spent a lot of time at the kitchen table, which was very near where I had my indoor plant lights set up and going 12 hours a day her mood was greatly improved. (I had pretty much a wall of plants and plant lights.) Since she wasn't trying to use our grow lights as a remedy for seasonal affective disorder, I don't think the placebo effect came into play at all. Which leads me to think there really is some good to be had by using them. Fingers are crossed for ya.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 02:34:56 PM »
Some major positives about working from home:

CAT ON MY LAP
Blankets
No bra!
Pajamas!

I would a GORGEOUS dress that I would love to buy. But literally no point.

I’m in finance.  Used to be Head of/Director. Now I’m deputy (2 of us reporting into the CFO)  which is sooooooooooooo much less stress.  But also means I’m super bored.   We acquire a £1.4 billion company from the USA on Friday so I’m looking forward to lots more work.... and hopefully a permanent contract (we were brought in on 12 month FTC until the acquisition goes through).

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 02:55:29 PM »
I'm retired.  I can't say I'm a housewife, because I never really took to the role.  So I just sit here waiting for the pandemic to be over so we can finish (start?) the remodel, and then I can finally finally hire a person to clean for me.

My pandemic life differs from non-pandemic life in that my husband and I have to socially distance, and instead of going out to do the shopping for myself once a week, either my husband collects it, or we have it delivered.  I haven't left the house since March 10th.  I haven't so much as hugged my husband since March 15th (the day the plastic sheeting went up and he went to the other side).  He was on paid leave for several months while official shielding was on, but that ended.  Now he's on an evening shift (at full salary), working 3pm to 8pm, Monday to Friday.  It's not as bad as it could be.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 03:41:17 PM »
We are both retired EEs from the chemical industry and live on the edge of the N. Yorks moors so even in the depths of lockdown we were lucky to have lots of places to walk.

We had to cancel and claim back money for the 3 holidays we had booked including a trip to New York and LA in September to stay with our daughter. However, we are are now in the middle of our first holiday this year, a week in a self catering cottage in Northumberland and it is fantastic. Good walks and places to visit that are well set up for Covid distancing. We even had lunch indoors today at The Ship Inn in Low Newton and very impressed not just with the food and service but also the bio-security. We had arrived on foot and just planned to eat outside but it was threatening to rain and their sign said that inside seating was available. Through an unopened window I asked for a table and then scanned the NHS QR Code with the app on my phone and showed the check-in result to the lady. We then used the hand sanitizer on the way in, had our temperatures checked and were shown to table in a corner.  It was all very good humored as one had to request a visit to the toilet which was quickly sanitized between visits.

Tomorrow we have places booked for Bamburgh Castle then Friday we are off to Lindisfarne. Earlier in the week we booked and went to Alnwick Garden (all outside) and also booked and went to Dunstanburgh Castle (all outside as it is a ruin). 

We now feel quite refreshed  :)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 03:43:09 PM »
I'm an Operational Meteorologist and I work on RAF bases, forecasting the weather for the base and briefing the pilots on the take-off/landing and en-route conditions for their sorties and missions (which can be in the UK or anywhere in the world). I also have the opportunity to volunteer for overseas detachments. So far, I've done 8 detachments, spending a total of 30 months overseas since June 2013: 14 months in the Falkland Islands over 4 detachments, 9 months on Ascension Island in 2 detachments (6 months of that was this year), 4 months in Gibraltar and 3 months in Antarctica. The work is interesting as no two days are the same... so depending on the weather situation, some days can be really busy with constant phone calls and briefings, and issuing weather warnings, and other days can be really quiet with not much to do.

Luckily, my job hasn't been affected by Covid as the weather is 24/7 and the military don't stop operating in a pandemic. We've just had to start working from home, with only 1 person in the office at a time (sometimes 2 people over the last couple of months), and stop face-to-face briefings and do everything by phone instead.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »
I'm an engineer for a medical device company that spends most of my time working with suppliers in Asia and the US.

I was in China in January and flew back the day before they locked down for Covid, back before everyone in the world got it. My coworker was actually tested when he got back as he was not feeling well, and his GP was incredibly frightened of him and the local infectious disease doctor was salivating at the excitement. He did not have Covid. 

I spent the early part of the year at home trying to work through supply chain disruption because of Covid shutdowns. Then China recovered quickly in terms of restarting and getting back into normality, whilst the rest of us will be dealing with deaths, sadness, and lockdowns.  I should have been out in Asia at least 3 more times this year and the US 3 times, but......  that's not happening anytime soon.

At any rate, because I spend the days on conference calls with my suppliers, it makes no odds where I am sitting. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
I'm a database developer for a company that does spend analytics.   It's a job. 
The good news is that it's all remote so I don't have to go into an office.  And they don't want me to work evenings and weekends like my last gig. 
The bad news is that the tech is from 1984. 

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 07:33:53 PM »
Oh, I forgot to add, you guys wish me luck.  I'm going on to a covid symptom checker because my kid gave me a cold that has me coughing a lot.  When he had it, it seemed like a cold. 

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2020, 07:36:13 PM »
Oh, I forgot to add, you guys wish me luck.  I'm going on to a covid symptom checker because my kid gave me a cold that has me coughing a lot.  When he had it, it seemed like a cold.
Never mind, nowhere near.  I've got to cough a lot more or get a temperature. 

• Liked: 718
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 08:25:28 PM »
Never mind, nowhere near.  I've got to cough a lot more or get a temperature.

Good news that it is not Covid.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 170
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 09:15:41 PM »
I’ve got a covid test coming tomorrow. Bad head cold, fever, cough, can’t smell much (could be the cold though). Aches, headache, etc... I got an at home testing kit. Nearest drive through was 70 miles away.

I want to know if it’s covid or a cold because... I’m pregnant!!!! Though that could explain why this cold is a particular stinker.

I’m a civil servant. I’m advised not to be more specific than that on public fora. Used to be a physics teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 09:38:45 PM »
I’ve got a covid test coming tomorrow. Bad head cold, fever, cough, can’t smell much (could be the cold though). Aches, headache, etc... I got an at home testing kit. Nearest drive through was 70 miles away.

I want to know if it’s covid or a cold because... I’m pregnant!!!! Though that could explain why this cold is a particular stinker.

I’m a civil servant. I’m advised not to be more specific than that on public fora. Used to be a physics teacher.

AGGGGHHHHHHHH, you've saved me from my funk!!!!!  Have you had IVF again?

I too have a cold.  Started with a sore throat yesterday and this afternoon/tonight my head has just been full and can't think straight.  I'll lay low out of decent courtesy but feels just like every other cold I've ever had.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2020, 09:56:48 PM »
No ivf. Bit of a surprise. Actually a huge ginormous gargantuan I still haven’t picked my jaw up off the floor shock. Obviously a good one, but has meant a lot of changes.

We sold our house yesterday... just have to find a new one we like!!!

Glad our good new could cheer you up kfdancer!

And now this stinking cold that is unlikely to be covid but has totally floored me... ugh. We can’t all win every day!

Due early Spring.

2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2020, 08:57:12 AM »
Congratulations physicskate!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab