Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Does anybody actually dislike working from home?  (Read 3282 times)

• Liked: 70
Re: Does anybody actually dislike working from home?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2020, 02:45:06 PM »
We're both self-employed.  My job is primarily from home and I've been doing it as my sole job for 7+ years.  My husband splits his time from doing contract work outside the home to helping me with my business (my business employs him).  The pandemic has, thankfully, meant very few changes for us, at least thus far, though we expect that to change.

I mostly like working from home.  This afternoon I had grocery delivery booked, a huge time saver rather than only being able to get a delivery evenings or weekends. I despised my commute and thankfully now mine is about 20 steps to my home office.  We bought this flat with working in mind so my office is near the open plan living area but down the corridor from the primary bedroom.  I want to move to a larger place, and this is definitely something that I consider when I look at floor plans.  If I'm working late I don't want to be tucked into the eves, I also don't want to work too close to where I sleep. 

But working from home  has huge downsides which cannot be understated.  My work days bleed into my evenings and I don't have a true time off.  This is true for us both though, Sunday my husband got a last minute job offer at 11am and went out noon - 8pm.  As the sole party home most of the time, I've become even more responsible for the daily chores.  I get up tidy, clean, make coffee and my husband leaves having his coffee while I'm still doing the household tasks.  Sometimes I feel like a 1950s housewife (though in joggers and untidy hair) in the mornings - house and household first, me and my coffee and breakfast a far second.  And it can be lonely, I have no work colleagues.  My husband can and does listen, but he sees people in his other job and requires less social contact than I do.  As an immigrant with no school or uni friends and now no work friends, it can be isolating.  I joined a club nearly 4 years ago and have spent the last 18 months on the committee and have just been voted into another position :D  Because it's an outdoor sports club we took a break March - June but have been allowed to continue even in Tier 2.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2020, 04:51:00 PM »
I'm an independent contractor for a Chinese/American company. I started working for them (and from home) 2 years ago. It felt weird at first not driving to work, but I got used to it. I really like working from home. The flexibility, and being able to work from the UK or US, is fantastic. Though, I have difficulty switching off. I'm guilty of doing admin-related work tasks at 11pm.

I'm an introverted person who's not that social, so the loneliness that can come with working from home doesn't bother me that much. I can see how it could be more difficult for an extroverted, social person. I've made a routine of going to the gym after work, as it's really important to get out of the house and get moving!
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 287
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2020, 11:34:30 PM »
I'm an independent contractor for a Chinese/American company. I started working for them (and from home) 2 years ago. It felt weird at first not driving to work, but I got used to it. I really like working from home. The flexibility, and being able to work from the UK or US, is fantastic. Though, I have difficulty switching off. I'm guilty of doing admin-related work tasks at 11pm.

I'm an introverted person who's not that social, so the loneliness that can come with working from home doesn't bother me that much. I can see how it could be more difficult for an extroverted, social person. I've made a routine of going to the gym after work, as it's really important to get out of the house and get moving!
I can't wait to go back to the gym when it's safe to fo so, COVID is rife at the moment in the town that I am in.

At some point, I'm going to need a much solid computer desk, and I need to find adequate space in another room for it, so a clear-out will be needed. That's the difficult bit, mum is a hoarder and maybe this will force her into getting rid of a lot of crap that's hanging around.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Application Type : FLR(M)
Application Submitted online on: 19/08/2020
Postal or In-Person Application: Online
Biometrics Enrolled: 10/09/20 using IDV App
Acknowledgement Received: No
Additional Documents Requested on (if any): no
Decision Email: 18/12/2020
Decision Letter Received on: 18/12/2020
BRP Card Received on: 22/12/2020
Decision: APPROVED

Sponsored Links