Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Claiming Deceased US Husbands Pension!!  (Read 483 times)

• Liked: 0
Claiming Deceased US Husbands Pension!!
« on: October 29, 2020, 10:58:23 AM »
Hi there, this isnt so much about taxes as such, per se, more about obtaining information regarding claiming my deceased American husbands pension and even SSI/disability!!

To cut a long story short, my late husband and I were living in the USA, Minnesota to be exact, when he passed away in 2010, I am British and my husband was American, He was getting SSI and Disability at the time of his death, and I distinctly remember the Social Security Administration Office telling me on the phone when they stopped his payments that once I reach 60 I can then claim for his SSI/Disability and i think I can even claim for his pension as well!! I am now 62,  living in the UK now, and it suddenly occurred to me that I need to do this!! I have been very hesitant to do this as I can imagine that the paperwork is horrendous as well as I havent a clue where to apply considering that I live in the UK now!!

What i want to know is, am I entitled to do this and does this even stand now??

Thanks!!

• Liked: 722
Re: Claiming Deceased US Husbands Pension!!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 11:07:04 AM »
I think the answer is "Yes" to at least one of your questions but the folks that will know are the FBU in the US Embassy in London.  We've found them to be very responsive this year.  I had a telephone interview with them earlier this year and my wife has a telephone interview scheduled with them next Tuesday.

All you need do is pose your question(s) to them via their website and they will get back to you via email and/or a telephone interview.  Your questions are exactly what they are there for. It only took a couple of weeks after my wife sent them an enquiry, with me it was more like a month but that was during full lockdown in April.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/fbu_email_enquiry/
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab