Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK and US student loans, uni reducing US amount due to UK loan?  (Read 930 times)

• Liked: 8
UK and US student loans, uni reducing US amount due to UK loan?
« on: November 10, 2020, 11:02:54 PM »
I posted this question originally in the Student Lounge but as it doesn't seem to be very active at all, decided to post it here too to increase the chances of getting a reply. Here goes!

Hi all,

I am a US citizens with PR. I have applied for a part time MA programme and was accepted. Now, I am in the unusual position of receiving both US and UK graduate/post graduate loans. But here's the rub that I need help with.

The uni has told me that because I qualify for the UK post graduate student loan, they are deducting that amount from what I can receive from the US. I don't understand how they can do that because:

This office at the uni is set up for US financial aid. This federal loan is based on my FAFSA form and is not connected to the UK in anyway but by my most recent US tax statements. They are saying they can do this based on estimated financial assistance (EFA) which is where the UK student loan comes in. However, shouldn't they only be calculating US based EFA since this is their role?

I feel like my "strange" position of receiving financial aid from both the US and the UK are conflicting with each other somehow. In my mind these two streams of financial aid are complete separate from each other and the uni should not be reducing one based on the other.

I hope this is clear. If not, I'll try to clarify. I appreciate any advice.

An update: From the UK loan perspective, it is not means tested, yet the US financial aid office seems to be means testing it since as if I cancel the UK student loan, the amount they will allow me to get from the US goes up. This doesn't make sense to me.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 11:24:52 AM by Californiaguy »

Sponsored Links