Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Those living in England. Free Flu jab for the those 50 - 64  (Read 5645 times)

• Liked: 342
Those living in England. Free Flu jab for the those 50 - 64
« on: November 20, 2020, 02:56:15 PM »
For those who haven't had/paid for their flu jab, this year NHS England will give free flu jabs to those age 50 - 64, starting 1 December. Book your appointment.

Those age 65 and over are always offered free flu jabs, if you haven't had yours and want one, book asap.

https://www.newschain.uk/news/free-flu-vaccine-extended-over-50s-nhs-battles-twin-threats-covid-19-49378
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:04:07 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 957
Re: Those living in England. Free Flu jab for the those 50 - 64
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 03:03:41 PM »
I really wonder how they will have stocks for this. I was asked to get one for my pre existing conditions and they still haven't been able to schedule it.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 03:09:50 PM »
I really wonder how they will have stocks for this. I was asked to get one for my pre existing conditions and they still haven't been able to schedule it.

They go in a set order. It's only about £10 normally to buy a flu jab at a chemist and you get it for free there if you are in a group that is free, but there has been a surge wanting this with Covid.

Every year the papers reveal who is the cheapest and how much various places charge. From what i recall, the supermarkets chemists tend to be the cheapest.

They talked about the set order for a covid-19 vaccine: I think that was care homes and over 80s first, followed by the healthcare workers, then over 75s etc
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:16:10 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 03:16:35 PM »
You do realise my comment was made as a member of the group contacted a couple months ago for a free one, where they haven't been able to schedule yet due to supply issues. I won't be going to a pharmacy, I need to have access to medical care in case of a severe reaction and my GP is fully on board with that.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 03:18:23 PM »
My wife and I had our free flu jabs at our GP surgery some weeks ago. No problems with supply in this area. (We are age 65).

ETA
Just checked and we got ours on September 16th, so I can’t comment on availability at this point in time. They had plenty in September  :)

Sounds like they do have plenty according to this statement end of October.

Government announces restrictions on the export of supplies of flu vaccines to protect supplies for UK patients

The restrictions, which will apply to the flu vaccines being used in the UK this winter, will stop the exporting of medicines placed on the market to be used in the UK, which could cause future supply issues. There is sufficient national supply of flu vaccine, with deliveries to providers continuing over the coming months.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-flu-vaccination-supply-protected-with-new-restrictions-on-exports
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:27:08 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 03:28:16 PM »
Asda is £8 (up form £7 last year). If you elegible for a free jab, you can use one of their drive-throughs.

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/18079/cheapest-flu-jab-vaccine-uk-season-cost

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 03:44:12 PM »
My wife and I had our free flu jabs at our GP surgery some weeks ago. No problems with supply in this area. (We are age 65).

ETA
Just checked and we got ours on September 16th, so I can’t comment on availability at this point in time. They had plenty in September  :)

Sounds like they do have plenty according to this statement end of October.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-flu-vaccination-supply-protected-with-new-restrictions-on-exports
Ah, maybe they ran out of that particular delivery - there were many local reports of shortages so they definitely didn't have enough for all at higher risk due to age/conditions when they sent out letters. Shall remind my practice I'm still waiting!

• Liked: 170
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 04:25:01 PM »
I call weekly for mine too. Going on week 7/8 wince I’ve phoned at least once a week.

What really takes the biscuit is when the consultant asked if I’d had it yet... followed by a bloody text to remind me to get it too!!! The cheek?!

Or maybe my surgery is just useless??

It was actually really upsetting me the other week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 09:17:14 AM »
Woah, thats crazy. Sorry ya'll are having trouble getting your flu jabs.  My surgery (in Scotland) had specific weekend days just for flu jabs and I was invited to that. However, I got it free from occupational health at work so it saved me having to be around people!  ;D

Hope you're all getting your flu shots soon!! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 10:26:17 AM »
Our GP surgery was very organized.  My wife and I were given appointments 8 minutes apart.  We walked down together and my wife walked in while I went for a walk around the block to burn up a few minutes. Walked in and a special desk had been set up with a person just for flu jabs, checked me in, and before I could take my seat my name came up on the usual monitor to go through. All doors open so no touching anything, nurse gave the jab while standing up, I continued out through the back door which is normally emergency exit only and I was out of there to meet my waiting wife within 5 minutes.

My wife's sister in Edinburgh had an option for in-surgery or drive through so she opted for drive through and never had to get out of the car.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 10:52:03 AM »
My wife's sister in Edinburgh had an option for in-surgery or drive through so she opted for drive through and never had to get out of the car.

That's awesome!  :)

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 11:07:36 AM »
I had a rather severe reaction the last time I had the flu shot in the US, probably 6 years ago now, but it wasn't due to egg so they aren't sure which component did it. So anytime I have an injectable I have to wait at least 20 minutes before leaving for safety. Definitely envious of everyone who is able to tolerate things normally! But after a convo with the GP they agreed that it would be worth trying again given the added risks this year, and to get an idea of if I'll be able to tolerate a covid vaccine (since its a combo of the immune response and the inactive ingredients in the vial that can trigger it).

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 11:33:04 AM »
I had a rather severe reaction the last time I had the flu shot in the US, probably 6 years ago now, but it wasn't due to egg so they aren't sure which component did it. So anytime I have an injectable I have to wait at least 20 minutes before leaving for safety. Definitely envious of everyone who is able to tolerate things normally! But after a convo with the GP they agreed that it would be worth trying again given the added risks this year, and to get an idea of if I'll be able to tolerate a covid vaccine (since its a combo of the immune response and the inactive ingredients in the vial that can trigger it).

My wife's sister in law has a really serious fish allergy and she can't have a flu jab either because they can't guarantee no traces of fish products in the flu vaccine.  She is a retired nurse and I'm sure she will be researching the heck out of the Covid vaccines.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 11:45:10 AM »
I thought this 'Covid: Jab for people who cannot be vaccinated trialled' article was really interesting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55022288

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 12:02:05 PM »
I thought this 'Covid: Jab for people who cannot be vaccinated trialled' article was really interesting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55022288

Good reading - thanks, and very promising indeed.

...the UK's Vaccine Taskforce chair, Kate Bingham, estimates hundreds of thousands people might not benefit from a vaccine because they do not have a working immune system.

This might be due to an immune deficiency, or because they are taking immune-suppressing drugs, for diseases such as cancer.

Sponsored Links