Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Guess I’m going to be a guinea pig  (Read 4853 times)

• Liked: 718
Re: Guess I’m going to be a guinea pig
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2020, 10:08:34 PM »
Awesome! All of it.  :)

+1

Congratulations!!
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 170
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2020, 08:08:21 AM »
I may be facing a huge decision at some point in the future about this jab. I’m not thrilled about it.

So you can’t get the jab while breastfeeding. Baby due early April. Breastfed the last one until 15 months. Was planning on 6-8 months this time, which takes me to Octoberish time. That calculator says I’d be eligible June- July.

But whether or not the assumptions made by that calculator are true will obviously have an impact on when I can get it...

But would I stop breastfeeding in order to get it??? Hmmmm. Not looking forward to that decision and hope I don’t have to make it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2020, 06:57:17 PM »
I may be facing a huge decision at some point in the future about this jab. I’m not thrilled about it.

So you can’t get the jab while breastfeeding. Baby due early April. Breastfed the last one until 15 months. Was planning on 6-8 months this time, which takes me to Octoberish time. That calculator says I’d be eligible June- July.

But whether or not the assumptions made by that calculator are true will obviously have an impact on when I can get it...

But would I stop breastfeeding in order to get it??? Hmmmm. Not looking forward to that decision and hope I don’t have to make it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can absolutely see that being a dilemma.  And I suspect they’ll know more about pregnancy, breastfeeding, and children by then. Ping me when it’s time. A friend of mine’s career has been in clinical studies and this has become her life the last 9/10 months. She was a great resource when I was pregnant about what medications I could or couldn’t take! 

Great news Bunny! 

We have a family friend in the US who is chief of a fire department. His department was called by a local someone who said they had coronavirus vaccines that had to be administered in the next 4 hours or they wouldn’t be able to be used. So all of the firefighters on duty got them. But a shambles to think there isn’t a plan and vaccinations could be going to waste!

• Liked: 674
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2020, 08:27:07 PM »
Possibly part of the "extra" shots is that (I heard on a news report) the bottles actually carry more vaccine than the doses they are labeled for. So, there's an extra shot (jab) per bottle, which would otherwise be wasted. I assume they put a little extra in the bottles in case of problems filling the injecting syringe or something? (Seems odd to not ship pre-filled syringes, as they do with some flu vaccines, but...eh. There's probably a good reason. For the Pfizer vaccine that requires the incredibly low temps, it's probably space-wise if nothing else, more feasible to ship it in multi-dose bottles.)

There are a few non-RNA vaccines that are very close to being approved. If you have a mitochondrial or other disorder where you are advised against vaccines normally, and your current option is a vaccine such as the Pfizer or Moderna that has not been tested on persons with your condition, waiting might be prudent. You should be able to get a more traditional vaccine (killed virus, etc.) at some point relatively soon. (Assuming the NHS purchases it and you have their support - otherwise I think paying privately is definitely worth the money at this juncture.)  On the other hand, if you can only get one shot of the two-shot RNA series, you do get some immunity. Not as high as if you've gotten both shots, but a goodly amount. Some of the researchers assume, anyway.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/opinion/coronavirus-vaccine-doses.html So if you take the shot and have a bad reaction, assuming you come out of the reaction ok you might have significant protection from Covid even without the second shot. Somehow this feels to me like playing Russian Roulette, though.

Since some of the vaccines were designed to specifically mimic the spikes on the virus, it remains to be seen if they will be as effective (or effective at all) on viruses with mutated spikes. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html  It's going to just keep mutating, so the sooner there is herd immunity via whatever means, the less likelihood a truly vicious mutation starts taking people out, as happened in the 1918 Influenza epidemic.

Fingers are crossed all the vaccines work!

Hoping you all stay safe and well.  :)

• Liked: 37
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2020, 10:48:12 PM »
At our staff meeting on Monday it was confirmed that 4 of our service users didn’t get their jags.....so for them to be able to give 6 staff Members  a jag means that they brought one extra bottle of vaccine as a back up and there was one extra dose in one of the opened bottles since each bottle holds 5 vaccinations.  Our home only has 14 service users, and one is away for the holiday.... so only 9 got vaccinated....so they brought 3 vials of the vaccine...... Our care home at maximum capacity will only ever serve 18 service users at a time.....

Glad that I got the jab at work.....the big boss went to hospital to get hers the next day and with driving time and waiting time.....it all took about 3 hours of her time.... I just stood around for 15 minutes to get mine.....

Nan, Read today that they thinking about just giving people one jag .....said the first jag is supposed to give 91% immunity .....second one puts you up to 95 %......but they think the second jag reinforces the first one.....so they want to keep doing both of them if they can.... Only time will tell what they decide....

My only side effect was my arm was sore for about 48 hours..... I asked one of the others who got the jag and he said his arm wasn’t sore but he was feeling joint pain.....

Anyway.....Merry Christmas to all and stay safe.....I decided to make myself a bubble of one because I can’t take the chance of getting Covid with where I work....and I believe it takes around 2 weeks for the vaccine to actually kick in....so am just laying low.....my couch finally arrived last Friday so I can relax in comfort now and watch tv rather then just having a dining table chair to sit on so I’m all good..... ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2020, 11:24:07 PM »
Possibly part of the "extra" shots is that (I heard on a news report) the bottles actually carry more vaccine than the doses they are labeled for. So, there's an extra shot (jab) per bottle, which would otherwise be wasted. I assume they put a little extra in the bottles in case of problems filling the injecting syringe or something? (Seems odd to not ship pre-filled syringes, as they do with some flu vaccines, but...eh. There's probably a good reason. For the Pfizer vaccine that requires the incredibly low temps, it's probably space-wise if nothing else, more feasible to ship it in multi-dose bottles.)

There are a few non-RNA vaccines that are very close to being approved. If you have a mitochondrial or other disorder where you are advised against vaccines normally, and your current option is a vaccine such as the Pfizer or Moderna that has not been tested on persons with your condition, waiting might be prudent. You should be able to get a more traditional vaccine (killed virus, etc.) at some point relatively soon. (Assuming the NHS purchases it and you have their support - otherwise I think paying privately is definitely worth the money at this juncture.)  On the other hand, if you can only get one shot of the two-shot RNA series, you do get some immunity. Not as high as if you've gotten both shots, but a goodly amount. Some of the researchers assume, anyway.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/opinion/coronavirus-vaccine-doses.html So if you take the shot and have a bad reaction, assuming you come out of the reaction ok you might have significant protection from Covid even without the second shot. Somehow this feels to me like playing Russian Roulette, though.

Since some of the vaccines were designed to specifically mimic the spikes on the virus, it remains to be seen if they will be as effective (or effective at all) on viruses with mutated spikes. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html  It's going to just keep mutating, so the sooner there is herd immunity via whatever means, the less likelihood a truly vicious mutation starts taking people out, as happened in the 1918 Influenza epidemic.

Fingers are crossed all the vaccines work!

Hoping you all stay safe and well.  :)

The U.K. has preordered enough of the Oxford vaccine for the entire population.  We’ve actually preordered enough vaccines to vaccinate everyone 5 times. They really spread the risk. 

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2021, 12:47:30 PM »
Just got an email from work with a form to sign and fill in to the NHS for a Covid vaccination......working at a care home puts me in the number 1 priority for the jab......not sure how I feel about being a guinea pig but I guess going to have to take the leap....just want life to go back to some semblance of normal....looked at the numbers today and my area was the highest on the list with cases..... funny enough, they were doing testing in my area last week....really makes you wonder how many people are walking around with covid but show no symptoms.....and how many people feel sick and still go to work because they need the paycheck...... we seem to be on a never ending seesaw.....up and down.....up and down.....hope the vaccine works so the world can get back to some sort of normal.......

Just got mine on Friday, other than a sore arm for couple days, no biggie.
I would have preferred the Oxford if a available as it’s based on traditional adenovirus vector, but had to settle for the Pfizer.
I work on Covid testing equip and the labs are getting touchy about letting us in, so luckily we got bumped up on the list!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2021, 01:27:34 PM »
Just got mine on Friday, other than a sore arm for couple days, no biggie.
I would have preferred the Oxford if a available as it’s based on traditional adenovirus vector, but had to settle for the Pfizer.
I work on Covid testing equip and the labs are getting touchy about letting us in, so luckily we got bumped up on the list!

Meanwhile, Wales is lagging... I'm not sure what's happening here, but it's going to be a looooong time before I'm invited for a vaccine, from the looks of our progress.  I'm in group 4.

I would prefer the Pfizer vaccine because it's not based on an adenovirus vector.  Apparently, even though it's not meant to be a human cold virus, one of the common side effects (about 1 in 10) for the Oxford vaccine is cough.  That's kind of what I'm trying to avoid.  I imagine I'm not going to have a choice in which vaccine I get, and given how 'backwards' Wales seems to be at the moment, I imagine we'll probably just have the Oxford vaccine that can be handled with less care.  But they're not administering the second doses in a timeframe that make me feel comfortable, anyway, so I'll probably just skip it for now.  I'm not leaving my bubble unless I know it's going to be worth it.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab