Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Car insurance for US Citizen  (Read 781 times)

• Liked: 0
Car insurance for US Citizen
« on: December 10, 2020, 01:15:46 PM »
Hi All,

I’ve been here in the UK for about 3 weeks now. I am in desperate need for a car. However, getting car insurance with my Texas license has been so far unsuccessful. I am here on a fiancé visa so I don’t have a BRP card yet nor do I have a national insurance number. Correct me if I’m wrong, I can’t apply for a UK driving license, unless I have a BRP and a national insurance number, which will take a while to get.

So is it possible that I can be added to my spouse’s, British citizens, policy with my current US driver’s license?

Are there any places here that do international car insurance for non-residents?

Kind regards,

• Liked: 957
Re: Car insurance for US Citizen
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 02:23:44 PM »
You can drive for up to a year on your US license. I went with Aviva, Admiral may also have a plan that allows foreign licenses. I'm not sure if there will be additional restrictions because of only having a 6 month visa. It will be incredibly expensive, but so is everything as an immigrant here.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 08:35:02 PM »
You can drive for up to a year on your US license. I went with Aviva, Admiral may also have a plan that allows foreign licenses. I'm not sure if there will be additional restrictions because of only having a 6 month visa. It will be incredibly expensive, but so is everything as an immigrant here.

Thank you

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 08:39:34 AM »

Our son got his car insurance through Aviva on his Texas DL plus Aviva accepted a letter in pdf format from his US insurer to  give him full no claims bonus. He drove on his Texas DL for about 9 months.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 10:30:27 PM »
Our son got his car insurance through Aviva on his Texas DL plus Aviva accepted a letter in pdf format from his US insurer to  give him full no claims bonus. He drove on his Texas DL for about 9 months.

Thank you

I called Aviva today and purchased a policy for a year. A bit expensive but super easy to deal with.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 10:37:53 PM »
Thank you

I called Aviva today and purchased a policy for a year. A bit expensive but super easy to deal with.
Glad they were able to insure you.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 09:32:07 AM »
Thank you

Well done.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 12:22:08 PM »
You’ll want to work REALLY fast after you get your BRP to get your tests booked in.  Six months to get your full license is going to be super tight with all the backlogs. Mentally prepare yourself that you may have to go for a few months without driving.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab