Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help with my next visa? Work Visa vs FLR(M)?  (Read 2223 times)

• Liked: 3
Help with my next visa? Work Visa vs FLR(M)?
« on: December 12, 2020, 06:22:18 PM »
Hi all, I'm back for the next round after you helped me get my initial spousal visa.  Lots has changed since living in the UK, have a 11 week old baby boy, new job, and generally loving life/happily settled in the UK.

Over the past few months my wife and I have had numerous big things pop up that we have had to unexpectedly pay for (whole new boiler, wife was in minor car accident, private health care for wife and baby etc.).  Now that she is on a reduced monthly pay from being on maternity leave, our savings have quickly been spent on these unplanned events.

My current visa/BRP is valid until 27/02/2021.  We will not be able to save up enough to pay for the visa, NHS cost, etc by the 27/02/2021.

What options do we have?  My work has suggested being open to sponsor me with a work visa, I'm in recruitment (I know it is a very high turnover job however I've done reasonably well and am on track to become a manager within the next 6 months) so not sure if this is possible.  If it is possible for my work to sponsor me, does that change the future process of me getting Indefinite Leave to Remain?

The initial plan was for me to come over on spousal visa, my next visa be FLR(M), and then apply for ILR once I've been here 5 years.

What would be the pros and cons of having my work sponsor me if this is an option?

If work visa isn't an option, what do I need to get done for my FLR(M)?  When do I need to apply (ideally want to do it without the expedited fees), what do I need to present, etc.?

Thanks again for all your help guys, will probably be very active on this between Christmas and New Years as its the only time I'll have to breathe between work and home haha.

• Liked: 3589
Re: Help with my next visa? Work Visa vs FLR(M)?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 06:36:20 PM »
Honestly, FLR(M) is your best option.

If you switch to a work visa, that will completely reset your 5 years to ILR count... which means you will then need to spend 5 years on the work visa before you can qualify for ILR, and none of the time you have spent on the spousal visa will count - this is because the entire 5 years must be spent on the same type of visa.

Also, the work visa will be tied to your job, so if you lose the job, you will either have to get sponsorship from another company in order to be allowed to stay in the UK, or you'll need to switch back to the FLR(M) route.

But if you switch back to the FLR(M) route, you will reset the 5 years to ILR all over again... so if you were to keep switching, you could end up having to live in the UK for several more years than originally planned before you could qualify for ILR.

Is there any way you are able to raise or borrow enough money to pay for the FLR(M) visa? It will be £1,033 plus £1,560 IHS surcharge. The 24-hour Super Priority service is an extra £800, but it has not been available to use for the last few months because of Covid. We don't know when it will be reinstated.

If you are able to apply for FLR(M), you can apply any time from 28 days before you reach 30 months in the UK right up to the expiry date of your spousal visa... so you can apply whenever is most convenient for you between those dates. You only need to have submitted the online application before your visa expires - the biometrics and visa processing can be done afterwards... and your current immigration status will be automatically extended under Section 3C Leave while the visa is processing.

For the FLR(M) application, you'll need to show the following:
- Accommodation evidence (i.e. Land Registry document, mortgage statement and council tax bill, if you own... or tenancy agreement and council tax bill if you rent)

- Financial evidence... you can either use your income if you earn over £18,600 and meet one of the Categories, or you can use your wife's pre-maternity leave income if she was earning over £18,600. If one of you meets the requirement on your own, you only need to use that person's income and not mention the other income.

- Cohabitation/Relationship evidence... this is your marriage certificate, plus evidence of living together for the 2 years prior to applying for FLR(M) = 6 items of correspondence that have been mailed to you from at least 3 official sources, spread evenly over the last 2 years (1 document in each name dated every 4 months)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 06:38:24 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 06:39:42 PM »
Hi all, I'm back for the next round after you helped me get my initial spousal visa.  Lots has changed since living in the UK, have a 11 week old baby boy, new job, and generally loving life/happily settled in the UK.

Over the past few months my wife and I have had numerous big things pop up that we have had to unexpectedly pay for (whole new boiler, wife was in minor car accident, private health care for wife and baby etc.).  Now that she is on a reduced monthly pay from being on maternity leave, our savings have quickly been spent on these unplanned events.

My current visa/BRP is valid until 27/02/2021.  We will not be able to save up enough to pay for the visa, NHS cost, etc by the 27/02/2021.

What options do we have?  My work has suggested being open to sponsor me with a work visa, I'm in recruitment (I know it is a very high turnover job however I've done reasonably well and am on track to become a manager within the next 6 months) so not sure if this is possible.  If it is possible for my work to sponsor me, does that change the future process of me getting Indefinite Leave to Remain?

The initial plan was for me to come over on spousal visa, my next visa be FLR(M), and then apply for ILR once I've been here 5 years.

What would be the pros and cons of having my work sponsor me if this is an option?

If work visa isn't an option, what do I need to get done for my FLR(M)?  When do I need to apply (ideally want to do it without the expedited fees), what do I need to present, etc.?

Thanks again for all your help guys, will probably be very active on this between Christmas and New Years as its the only time I'll have to breathe between work and home haha.

I think the work visa idea is a non starter unfortunately. This leaves you with the option of applying for FLR or returning to the US which it's obvious you don't want to do.
It sounds like you meet the financial requirements so do you have any friends or family who could help you out with the fees? You can also use a credit card to pay for them.

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 06:53:01 PM »
Thank you both, you both were instrumental in the first visa!

WOW!  NHS charge has gone up!  I don't require the 24 hour charge at this stage in the game do I?
So it does sound like the best option is FLR(M) with the total cost coming to £2,593?

For accommodation, my wife owned the flat we stayed in from about June 2018 to November 2019 (actually moved the day before Thanksgiving), and we moved to a house that we have been living in since.  The house is in her name due to the finances behind purchasing, etc.  Is it okay that her name will be the one on both titles?

For finance, we both meet the requirement, so that's not an issue.

For the proof of living, our mail has been an absolute nightmare since moving to the UK.  There are very few pieces of mail that have both our names on it and there are some that have my name on it (things like water bill, bank statements, some NHS letters, DVLA).
Most of the mail is in my wife's name due to the amount of time I have to be living in the UK before I can have things under my name, has been really annoying.  We've kept most of everything but is it possible to get my name on older bills and have it resent?  Just worried we won't have enough.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 07:00:21 PM »
Would your company be willing to pay the costs of your visa?  It’s entirely reasonable to say “we will pay but if you leave the company in the next 2 years, you will need to pay back the fee”.

While I am NOT a fan of credit cards or loans, I think this is a genuine circumstance where using one as an option to “buy now pay later” is invaluable.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 07:10:33 PM »
WOW!  NHS charge has gone up!  I don't require the 24 hour charge at this stage in the game do I?
So it does sound like the best option is FLR(M) with the total cost coming to £2,593?

Yeah, unfortunately the IHS surcharge increased from £400/year to £624/year on 27th October 2020 :(.

You should be fine without using the 24-hour service...  no one has been able to use it since March 2020 anyway. It just means waiting a couple of months for the visa instead of getting it within a few days.

For accommodation, my wife owned the flat we stayed in from about June 2018 to November 2019 (actually moved the day before Thanksgiving), and we moved to a house that we have been living in since.  The house is in her name due to the finances behind purchasing, etc.  Is it okay that her name will be the one on both titles?

Yes, that's fine. Most visa holders aren't named on title deeds/mortgages anyway, so it's normal for the house to be in the UK sponsor's name only.

For the proof of living, our mail has been an absolute nightmare since moving to the UK.  There are very few pieces of mail that have both our names on it and there are some that have my name on it (things like water bill, bank statements, some NHS letters, DVLA).
Most of the mail is in my wife's name due to the amount of time I have to be living in the UK before I can have things under my name, has been really annoying.  We've kept most of everything but is it possible to get my name on older bills and have it resent?  Just worried we won't have enough.

That's interesting, because most people are able to get their names on bills etc. within a few weeks of arriving in the UK. In fact, we recommend getting your name on as many items as possible ASAP when you arrive, because of the correspondence requirement for FLR(M).

You can only use items of mail that you physically received in the post on the dates that they were originally issued... because you are proving you were both physically present in the house on that date... so adding your name now and getting them resent won't work, because they can only be used for the month that they are resent (i.e. December 2020).

The post doesn't have to be in joint names... so if you only have them in separate names, then you just need one each for each particular month you are using.

Do you have monthly bank statements that are sent in your name? If so, you'll be sorted, because you can just use any month you need to, in order to fill in the gaps. Otherwise, you can see what other items you have in your name that can be used.

Say you're applying in Feb 2021, you will need 1 document in each name from each of the following months:
Feb 2019
June 2019
October 2019
Feb 2020
June 2020
October 2020
Feb 2021

Acceptable documents that you can use are:
• Letters or other documents from government departments or agencies, for example HM Revenue and Customs, Department for Work and Pensions, DVLA, TV Licensing.
• Letters or other documents from your GP, a hospital or other local health service about medical treatments, appointments, home visits or other medical matters
• Bank statements/letters
• Building society savings books/letters
• Council tax bills or statements
• Electricity and/or gas bills or statements
• Water rates bills or statements
• Mortgage statements/agreement
• Tenancy agreement(s)
• Telephone bills or statements

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 07:15:39 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately the IHS surcharge increased from £400/year to £624/year on 27th October 2020 :(.

You should be fine without using the 24-hour service...  no one has been able to use it since March 2020 anyway. It just means waiting a couple of months for the visa instead of getting it within a few days.

Yes, that's fine. Most visa holders aren't named on title deeds/mortgages anyway, so it's normal for the house to be in the UK sponsor's name only.

That's interesting, because most people are able to get their names on bills etc. within a few weeks of arriving in the UK. In fact, we recommend getting your name on as many items as possible ASAP when you arrive, because of the correspondence requirement for FLR(M).

You can only use items of mail that you physically received in the post on the dates that they were originally issued... because you are proving you were both physically present in the house on that date... so adding your name now and getting them resent won't work, because they can only be used for the month that they are resent (i.e. December 2020).

The post doesn't have to be in joint names... so if you only have them in separate names, then you just need one each for each particular month you are using.

Do you have monthly bank statements that are sent in your name? If so, you'll be sorted, because you can just use any month you need to, in order to fill in the gaps. Otherwise, you can see what other items you have in your name that can be used.

Say you're applying in Feb 2021, you will need 1 document in each name from each of the following months:
Feb 2019
June 2019
October 2019
Feb 2020
June 2020
October 2020
Feb 2021

Acceptable documents that you can use are:
• Letters or other documents from government departments or agencies, for example HM Revenue and Customs, Department for Work and Pensions, DVLA, TV Licensing.
• Letters or other documents from your GP, a hospital or other local health service about medical treatments, appointments, home visits or other medical matters
• Bank statements/letters
• Building society savings books/letters
• Council tax bills or statements
• Electricity and/or gas bills or statements
• Water rates bills or statements
• Mortgage statements/agreement
• Tenancy agreement(s)
• Telephone bills or statements

Yeah we've got a joint Barclays account that has both our names so I can just get those months printed out.  I should be able to cover the rest with water bills, NHS, DVLA, etc.   So just to confirm that's 14 pieces of mail in total?

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 07:17:13 PM »
Would your company be willing to pay the costs of your visa?  It’s entirely reasonable to say “we will pay but if you leave the company in the next 2 years, you will need to pay back the fee”.

While I am NOT a fan of credit cards or loans, I think this is a genuine circumstance where using one as an option to “buy now pay later” is invaluable.

Yeah I'm thinking credit card will probably be the best bet.  We've generally been in very good financial position, have very low mortgage, few expenses outside of bills, food, etc.  So we should be able to safely use a credit card on this.  Even more motivation to be doing better at work hahaha

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 07:26:08 PM »

Yeah we've got a joint Barclays account that has both our names so I can just get those months printed out.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use printed out statements.

They MUST have been received in the post in the months that they were issued... because you are proving that you were both living in the house in those months in order to pick up and save the physical items of mail at that time.

If you are using online statements that have simply been printed out now, then you have no proof that you were physically living in the house at the time they were issued.

For example, I have a US bank account, which is registered to my aunt's address in the US... but I cannot print out and use my US bank statements to prove I have been living in the US, because I haven't... I'm British and only lived in the US for a few months 12 years ago. Same principle applies here... just because your online statement show a UK address for both of you, it doesn't prove that you were actually living there.

I should be able to cover the rest with water bills, NHS, DVLA, etc.   So just to confirm that's 14 pieces of mail in total?

Yes.

Technically, you only need 6 in each name (so 12 if they are all separately addressed), however, we recommend including both the start and end months of the 2 years (i.e. Feb 2019 and Feb 2021) for completeness, so that would give 7 in each name (14 separate).

If you have a mixture of joint and separately-addressed documents, you just work it out so you have 7 in each name. For example:
- 2 joint and 10 separate (5 each)
- 4 joint and 6 separate (3 each)
- 5 joint and 4 separate (2 each)

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 05:23:40 PM »
Unfortunately, you won't be able to use printed out statements.

They MUST have been received in the post in the months that they were issued... because you are proving that you were both living in the house in those months in order to pick up and save the physical items of mail at that time.

If you are using online statements that have simply been printed out now, then you have no proof that you were physically living in the house at the time they were issued.

For example, I have a US bank account, which is registered to my aunt's address in the US... but I cannot print out and use my US bank statements to prove I have been living in the US, because I haven't... I'm British and only lived in the US for a few months 12 years ago. Same principle applies here... just because your online statement show a UK address for both of you, it doesn't prove that you were actually living there.

Yes.

Technically, you only need 6 in each name (so 12 if they are all separately addressed), however, we recommend including both the start and end months of the 2 years (i.e. Feb 2019 and Feb 2021) for completeness, so that would give 7 in each name (14 separate).

If you have a mixture of joint and separately-addressed documents, you just work it out so you have 7 in each name. For example:
- 2 joint and 10 separate (5 each)
- 4 joint and 6 separate (3 each)
- 5 joint and 4 separate (2 each)

Soooooo I'm in major trouble.  I started sorting through all of our mail since I arrived in the UK and my wife and I barely have any from 2019 onwards that qualifies.  When we've switched energy providers, they never sent paper bills, also when we moved house back in November I was so busy with work my wife set a lot of things up and we're in same boat (no paper bills, or she is only person named in mail).
When I first moved over we were really good with the mail (if it needed stuff from 2018 I'd be sorted).  Is there ANY other way to meet the cohabitation/relationship evidence requirement????  We have a beautiful baby boy so I've got the birth certificate for him.  I am so worried that I've just ruined my life/visa application due to mail.

I've been employed almost the entire time I've moved to the UK (since July 2018, no gaps), can payslips or anything from my employer help?

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 05:44:01 PM »
Don't panic.

If you cannot provide all the required documents, you just need to write a letter of explanation for why you don't have them.

If you can list here all the documents you do have, along with what date is on them and who they are addressed to, we can help you work out what you can use.

Payslips are okay if they have your address on them.

In regards to your son, his birth certificate is not relevant to the relationship requirement because it does not prove that you and your partner have both been living in the same house as each other continuously for the last 2 years.

However, you are required to provide the following documents for your son (and any other children either of you have):
- his birth certificate
- his UK passport if he has one yet
- a letter dated in the last 3 months confirming his address (i.e. from his GP confirming his registered address - you may need to pay for this... some GP surgeries charge about £25 for a letter)

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 03:44:42 PM »
Don't panic.

If you cannot provide all the required documents, you just need to write a letter of explanation for why you don't have them.

If you can list here all the documents you do have, along with what date is on them and who they are addressed to, we can help you work out what you can use.

Payslips are okay if they have your address on them.

The majority of the mail we do have falls outside of the dates (I know I'm getting super close to deadline for me to apply, I've taken this week off from work to focus on this full-time).  I'll post what we do have from the dates suggested:
25/02/2019       Contract of Employment (wife/UK citizen)
26/06/2019       Enhanced DBS (wife)
28/06/2019       Barclays Bank Statement (joint)
01/10/2019       Halifax - Mortgage Offer Letter (wife)
02/10/2019       EE Phone Bill (wife)
04/10/2019       Watford BC Council Tax Bill (joint)
09/10/2019       Simply Conveyancing, our solicitors when buying house, Request to sign consent for mortgage (me/applicant)
18/02/2020       Admiral Home Insurance Policy Docs (me/applicant)
09/02/2021       NHS discharge letter (me/applicant)

1) We had bulb as our energy supplier from March 2019 until January 2021, they don't do paper statements only online.  My wife set this up so she's only one on these bills.

2) I have managed to get my payslips from August/September 2019 until January 2021.  These are through ADP portal online, my work doesn't print and mail.  However it doesn't say anything about it being online, I'm assuming these still aren't enough to count as original mail/correspondence. I'm getting my HR manager to write the letter detailing current employment, length of, time earning current salary, etc.  Can I get her to include that these are my original payslips, or should I include the reasoning in my letter stating why I don't have mail for each of the dates that my payslips would cover?  I have lots of gaps :(

3) I have mail from others dates (my DBS certificate, council tax, NHS letters)

4) Because we don't have many mailed bank statements I have arranged Barclays to print out my statements from Feb 2019 until now, signed and stamped every page.  This won't count for original correspondence either will it?

5) Things I don't have bills for/contact about:
- My cell phone, I'm with Carphone who says you have to be in the UK for 3 years before you can get a pay monthly contract so it was in my wifes name
- energy bills in my name, only 1 name allowed on account and my wife was only one who could set up
- water bills, were originally sent quarterly by Affinity when I first moved over but they stopped in 2019 and weren't in correct months anyway
- council tax, originally sent almost monthly by Watford Borough Council (of course the ones I have aren't typically in months I need) since we moved to another council they only send an annual bill, recently spoke with lady from council who confirmed that they do not send monthly council tax bills (she thought I was crazy as she said she's only ever heard of council's sending annual bills/statements).
- medical/GP letters, never really have gone until late last year so none coming through in my name

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 04:04:57 PM »
Okay, let's see what you have:

February 2019
1. Sponsor: 25/02/2019       Contract of Employment (wife/UK citizen) (Source 1)
2. Applicant: ?

June 2019
2. Joint: 28/06/2019       Barclays Bank Statement (joint) (Source 2)

October 2019
3. Joint:  04/10/2019       Watford BC Council Tax Bill (joint) (Source 3)

February 2020
4. Sponsor:
4. Applicant: 18/02/2020       Admiral Home Insurance Policy Docs (me/applicant) (Source 4)

June 2020
5. Sponsor:
5. Applicant:

October 2020
6. Sponsor:
6. Applicant:

February 2021
7. Sponsor:
7. Applicant: 09/02/2021       NHS discharge letter (me/applicant) (Source 5)

Okay, so you currently have:
- 5 sources... which meets the requirement of at leasrt 3 sources
- 3 documents in your wife's name... so you need 4 more (Feb 2020, June 2020, Oct 2020, Feb 2021)
- 4 documents in your name... so you need 3 more (Feb 2019, June 2020, Oct 2020)

Do you have any documents you can use that are dated close to the months that are missing? Like in Jan or March (for Feb); May or July (for June): September or November (for Oct)?

1) We had bulb as our energy supplier from March 2019 until January 2021, they don't do paper statements only online.  My wife set this up so she's only one on these bills.

You can't use these unfortunately, as they are issued online.

2) I have managed to get my payslips from August/September 2019 until January 2021.  These are through ADP portal online, my work doesn't print and mail.  However it doesn't say anything about it being online, I'm assuming these still aren't enough to count as original mail/correspondence. I'm getting my HR manager to write the letter detailing current employment, length of, time earning current salary, etc.  Can I get her to include that these are my original payslips, or should I include the reasoning in my letter stating why I don't have mail for each of the dates that my payslips would cover?  I have lots of gaps :(

You can't use these either, as they were issued online. Payslips can only be used if they are official documents issued on company paper in the months they were dated.

3) I have mail from others dates (my DBS certificate, council tax, NHS letters)

What dates are they from?

4) Because we don't have many mailed bank statements I have arranged Barclays to print out my statements from Feb 2019 until now, signed and stamped every page.  This won't count for original correspondence either will it?

No, these can't be used either.

We always recommend that as soon as you arrive in the UK, you switch off paperless for everything and make sure that you receive as much as possible in the mail.

So, if you can now, I would see if you can change as many documents as possible to paper copies.  This may mean switching companies to ones that provide paper statements, or paying for paper statements to be issued instead of online-only.

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 05:17:48 PM »
Do you have any documents you can use that are dated close to the months that are missing? Like in Jan or March (for Feb); May or July (for June): September or November (for Oct)?

27/12/2019       Affinity Water quarterly? bill (joint)
13/01/2020       Santander bank statement (sponsor)
16/01/2020       Council Tax (joint)
12/03/2020       Council Tax (joint)
27/04/2020       DBS Certificate (applicant)
22/07/2020       SERCO Maternity Pay Contract/Breakdown (sponsor, not sure if this would count but it does say legal and confidential on it?)
27/07/2020       (applicant) Doctors surgery notice to register w/ different surgery as we were no longer in area (I would probably prefer not to use this as we were using her parents address in St Albans to remain with a specific surgery even when we were living in Watford, then we moved to Hemel in Nov 2019 so I think this would raise some questions about my address, etc.)
01/09/2020        Admiral car insurance policy docs (sponsor)
02/11/2020        Halifax annual mortgage statement (sponsor)
22/12/2020        Affinity Water quarterly? bill (joint)
04/01/2021        HMRC Child Benefit Confirmation (sponsor)
12/01/2021        Santander bank statement (sponsor)

Yeah we had the mail evidence lined up correctly back in 2018 but had to switch suppliers on a lot of stuff due to financial reasons of my wife being out of work at certain points with health issues and it spiralled out after that I guess especially with the move and this past year with her having hyperemesis before our son was born.

Bit unrelated, do I need to use same email as when I did my spousal visa?  Or can I register with different email to start filling out application?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:21:22 PM by NCsandHert »

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 05:54:38 PM »
Okay, let's see what you have:

February 2019
1. Sponsor: 25/02/2019       Contract of Employment (wife/UK citizen) (Source 1)
2. Applicant: ?

June 2019
2. Joint: 28/06/2019       Barclays Bank Statement (joint) (Source 2)

October 2019
3. Joint:  04/10/2019       Watford BC Council Tax Bill (joint) (Source 3)

February 2020
4. Sponsor: 12/03/2020       Council Tax
4. Applicant: 18/02/2020       Admiral Home Insurance Policy Docs (me/applicant) (Source 4)

June 2020
5. Sponsor: 22/07/2020       SERCO Maternity Pay Contract/Breakdown (Source 5)
5. Applicant: ?

October 2020
6. Sponsor: 02/11/2020        Halifax annual mortgage statement
6. Applicant: ?

February 2021
7. Sponsor: 12/01/2021        Santander bank statement (sponsor)
7. Applicant: 09/02/2021       NHS discharge letter (me/applicant) (Source 6)

And then for the documents that aren't dated in quite the right months, you just need to write a letter explaining that they were the closest you could get.

Other than the GP surgery change letter, did you receive any other item of mail in the post in your name between June 2020 and November 2020 (or at the beginning of 2019)? Maybe from a store card account, a monthly subscription to something, a delivery invoice... anything at all?

Bit unrelated, do I need to use same email as when I did my spousal visa?  Or can I register with different email to start filling out application?

You can register with any email address you like.

The online application process for FLR(M) is completely separate to the spousal visa application process, so the email address you used before is irrelevant.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab