Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I'm an American living in the UK (Scotland). My mom (in America) had a stroke  (Read 795 times)

• Liked: 0
I'm an American with a visa that allows me to live and work in the UK.

I live in Scotland, my mother lives in Virginia, United States. She suffered a serious stroke last night and I want to go home and be with her. Everything is so confusing right now with regard to travel. I know that my husband (Scottish, UK citizen) will not be able to travel, but do any of you know if I can or cannot?

Thank you very much for any help in advance.

Happy to provide any other details that may be necessary.

• Liked: 1893
So sorry to hear this.  I can't give any better advice than you can Google,but I can let you know that we sympathise and hope things work out no matter what you chose to do. 

• Liked: 4985
You can go and your husband can go with you (you’ll need your marriage certificate to show you are married) for the USA side. I’m not sure about Scotland specific restrictions.  USA restrictions vary by state, so in some (many) states you’ll have to quarantine for 14 days before seeing anyone.  Some airlines and countries are also requiring tests prior to boarding your flight.

Considerations are all of that, plus travel insurance and quarantine on this side when you return.

Massive hugs. This is a time when the distance is huge and the added logistics just make it unbearable.

Does she have anyone at the hospital with her?  Are they able to use technology to help you be there so she can hear your voice? 

We are here to listen if you need to vent about how unfair and awful all of this is.

• Liked: 6111
Welcome to the forum. Very sorry indeed to hear about your mum, as the others have said, you can lean on us.

• Liked: 1260
Just popping in to say i'm really sorry you're dealing with this

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab