Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Andouille  (Read 2651 times)

• Liked: 5
Andouille
« on: January 11, 2021, 08:14:44 PM »
For any Louisianans about or andouille lovers in general I was recommended a site to buy andouille from and it is DELICIOUS. So happy I don’t have to settle for kielbasa for my gumbo anymore! The owners of The Fat Bear in London (now closed) recommended https://franconian.co.uk [nofollow] and they absolutely delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
Re: Andouille
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 08:15:58 AM »
Very interesting.  I wonder if they have  store because that's a great part of the country to visit. 
Do you have a recipe for gumbo?  I've been thinking about making it.
I usually bring back Andouille from France, but it's been a while now.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:02:47 AM »

Everything I've read (not tried) suggests that the French version of andouille is different to the Louisiana/cajun product.  Is that not the case?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 03:31:00 PM »
Very interesting.  I wonder if they have  store because that's a great part of the country to visit. 
Do you have a recipe for gumbo?  I've been thinking about making it.
I do!

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
1 whole chicken
2-3 links andouille
2 cups chicken stock
1 medium onion
3 celery ribs
1 green bell pepper
1 1/2 cups okra
Green onions (optional)
3 garlic toes
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup flour

We usually use leftover chicken because that’s what gumbo is all about, using what you have! I smoke mine and I seriously recommend smoking your chicken for that extra punch of flavor.

Pick all meat you can off of your chicken and set it to the side. Take what’s left of your chicken(skin, bones, everything) and throw it in a pot and cover with water. This will be part of your stock. Boil until it’s reduced a good bit. I’m not sure if exact timing, 40 ish minutes for a small to medium bird. I usually just go by looks and taste.

While your chicken is on the boil, cut up your veg.

Now start your roux. There’s a lot of debate about doing your roux low and slow or the Paul Prudhomme way which is hot and fast. Some people even finish their roux in the oven. I am not one of those people. I like the Paul Prudhomme way but I advise caution. Do not get any roux on you. It is Cajun napalm. Also, if it’s too hot it will burn and have a grainy texture. If this happens you’ll have to start over.

Heat the oil in a large skillet (cast iron if you have one)over high heat until it starts to smoke, about 5 minutes.
Gradually add the flour, whisking constantly(I like a nice wooden spatula). Continue cooking and whisking until roux is dark red-brown to black, 2-4 minutes.

Add your trinity (onion, bell pepper, celery) and turn down the heat a little bit. I happen to like adding green onion bottoms as well but to each their own. Make it yours! Cook for 3-5 minutes and add your okra. Cook for another 2-3 min then add your minced garlic.

Drain your stock into a saucepan and put it on a med high heat. Add your trinity roux mixture spoon by spoon until it’s all mixed in. Add your extra stock and cook it all down for another 40 min to an hour. During the last 15 min of cooking add your chicken and sliced andouille.

Make your rice and make some garlic bread for dippers! Enjoy!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 05:32:36 PM »
Your fruit bowl is lovely!  :)

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 06:14:05 PM »
Your fruit bowl is lovely!  :)
Thank you! All the pottery in my house was made by my Uncle who was a fairly well know potter in Louisiana. I absolutely treasure it!

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 08:27:47 AM »
Everything I've read (not tried) suggests that the French version of andouille is different to the Louisiana/cajun product.  Is that not the case?
I have no idea and I can't wait to hear.  I think the French version of andouille is very close to chitlins and really stinks when you cook it. 

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 08:29:53 AM »
I do!

1 whole chicken
2-3 links andouille
2 cups chicken stock
1 medium onion
3 celery ribs
1 green bell pepper
1 1/2 cups okra
Green onions (optional)
3 garlic toes
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup flour

We usually use leftover chicken because that’s what gumbo is all about, using what you have! I smoke mine and I seriously recommend smoking your chicken for that extra punch of flavor.

Pick all meat you can off of your chicken and set it to the side. Take what’s left of your chicken(skin, bones, everything) and throw it in a pot and cover with water. This will be part of your stock. Boil until it’s reduced a good bit. I’m not sure if exact timing, 40 ish minutes for a small to medium bird. I usually just go by looks and taste.

Now start your roux. There’s a lot of debate about doing your roux low and slow or the Paul Prudhomme way which is hot and fast. Some people even finish their roux in the oven. I am not one of those people. I like the Paul Prudhomme way but I advise caution. Do not get any roux on you. It is Cajun napalm. Also, if it’s too hot it will burn and have a grainy texture. If this happens you’ll have to start over.

Heat the oil in a large skillet (cast iron if you have one)over high heat until it starts to smoke, about 5 minutes.
Gradually add the flour, whisking constantly(I like a nice wooden spatula). Continue cooking and whisking until roux is dark red-brown to black, 2-4 minutes.

Add your trinity (onion, bell pepper, celery) and turn down the heat a little bit. I happen to like adding green onion bottoms as well but to each their own. Make it yours! Cook for 3-5 minutes and add your okra. Cook for another 2-3 min then add your minced garlic.

Drain your stock into a saucepan and put it on a med high heat. Add your trinity roux mixture spoon by spoon until it’s all mixed in. Add your extra stock and cook it all down for another 40 min to an hour. During the last 15 min of cooking add your chicken and sliced andouille.

That sounds really nice, I'm not sure I'm ready for such a big project though. It's still in the back of my mind.  Thanks for posting.   

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 10:21:53 AM »
I do!

1 whole chicken
2-3 links andouille
2 cups chicken stock
1 medium onion
3 celery ribs
1 green bell pepper
1 1/2 cups okra
Green onions (optional)
3 garlic toes
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup flour

Drooooooooooooooooooool!   I've been using Polish Kabanos and adding extra heat, but would love to get some proper Andouille!  (Bet you £5 they won't deliver up here or it will cost something like £30 to get £5 worth of sausages.  Because that's how everything works up here, can't get anything!)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 10:26:37 AM »
  (Bet you £5 they won't deliver up here or it will cost something like £30 to get £5 worth of sausages.  Because that's how everything works up here, can't get anything!)

That must be incredibly frustrating... but the only disadvantage I can think of of living up there and far outweighed by the advantages, I'm quite sure!  :)

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 09:02:35 PM »
  That sounds really nice, I'm not sure I'm ready for such a big project though. It's still in the back of my mind.  Thanks for posting.
No worries! If you want another Cajun recipe that’s a bit easier, please let me know! Sticky chicken(aka chicken fricassée), grillades, shrimp and corn soup, spinach Madeline, etc. Always happy to share.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 09:05:18 PM »
Drooooooooooooooooooool!   I've been using Polish Kabanos and adding extra heat, but would love to get some proper Andouille!  (Bet you £5 they won't deliver up here or it will cost something like £30 to get £5 worth of sausages.  Because that's how everything works up here, can't get anything!)
Might as well give it a go! Can’t hurt, right? Whereabouts are you? I would happily send you some if I could. Need any magic dust or Tony’s? My dad sent me extra for Christmas since I couldn’t go back home.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 04:43:05 PM »
  I've been using Polish Kabanos and adding extra heat, but would love to get some proper Andouille! 

I love kabanos!
(never had Andouille in my life... well, not knowingly).

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab