Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving company  (Read 796 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving company
« on: January 14, 2021, 01:35:50 PM »
Hello!  My wife and I are hoping to move to the UK this spring.  Can anyone recommend a good moving company?  Any advice on potential pitfalls, duties on personal effects, etc?

Thank you!

• Liked: 1
Re: Moving company
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 03:22:29 PM »
Having just done it and still waiting for our household goods, I recommend contacting one of the big moving companies like Mayflower.

We thought we could save money by getting a container and packing ourselves. We have had some issues with that:
- If you pack yourself, you can't get insurance. We had to hire a company get our goods repacked proffesionally. This was particuarly aggravating because we did a much better job.
- We thought a 20 ft container would be adequate. The shipping company talked us into a 40 footer. We eneded up using about 1/3 of the volume.
- Despite all the room in the conatiner, the packers stacked our goods and secured them with a few pieces of rope, intsead of using floor space. I dread opening the container.
- Worst of all, a container may not fit through the streets of your new neighborhood. We will have to have our goods delivered to a moving company who will deliver them to us.

With the added expenses we faced, a full service mover would have costs about the same, but would have been a lot easier.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 10:11:15 PM »
To avoid duty on personal goods, you have to fill out the TOR when you have your moving date.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transfer-of-residence-to-great-britain#:~:text=Transfer%20of%20residence%20(%20ToR%20)%20relief,from%20import%20duties%20and%20charges

I used Ranier when I moved, but i know there are quite a few shipping companies.

• Liked: 37
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 02:27:23 PM »
I used Rainier December 2019 and was very happy with them

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 05:06:37 PM »
Thank you everyone. Your advice is very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 11:02:25 AM »
Hi, a bit late to reply, but we used a company called UPakWeShip about 4 years ago. Apart from a small mistake about collecting the shipment from us they were actually very good, lots of updates etc. and a bit quicker than we expected. We sold the furniture and put some stuff into storage and managed to squeeze everything onto a 4ft x 4ft pallet stacked about 6ft high which cost us about $1000 if I remember correctly.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab