Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cajun Fried chicken craving  (Read 4172 times)

• Liked: 19
Cajun Fried chicken craving
« on: January 18, 2021, 11:01:17 PM »
It's been sooo long since I've been back to Texas, and I am craving some Popeyes chicken so bad. Anyone have any tried and true recipes for cajun fried chicken? Or know where I might get some cajun chicken takeaway or restaurant once we get out of lockdown?

I'm in the Liverpool area..
Tia x

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It doesn't cost a thing to treat others with kindness.

• Liked: 18
Re: Cajun Fried chicken craving
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 12:48:28 AM »
Make it from scratch! There are loads of recipes that you can find online that, I guarantee you, capture a Cajun taste than any takeaways here.

The key is the spice mix that goes into the cooking process: paprika, Chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Also, tobasco or franks hot sauce goes well in fried chicken buttermilk step when cooking!

https://leitesculinaria.com/75709/recipes-cajun-fried-chicken.html

From a fried chicken lover and South Carolinian- my ancestors are basically fried chickens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 06:54:40 AM »
Oooh that sounds like a really good recipe, I'll definitely have to try that one! Thanks!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 08:22:49 AM »
Is there some way to get something like this recipe that does not call for massive deep frying?  That's just not possible for me right now, but maybe shallow pan frying or oven baking?  I don't know much about frying. 

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 08:42:04 AM »
Is there some way to get something like this recipe that does not call for massive deep frying?  That's just not possible for me right now, but maybe shallow pan frying or oven baking?  I don't know much about frying.
The recipe above is a shallow fry recipe, you just put about enough oil in the pan to make it about 1/4" - 1/2" deep, and fry 8 minutes a side, according to this recipe. Shallow frying, imo, is a much easier way to fry chicken. Deep frying is so messy.
This recipe calls for a cast iron skillet, but any kind of skillet would work.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 10:17:28 AM »
The recipe above is a shallow fry recipe, you just put about enough oil in the pan to make it about 1/4" - 1/2" deep, and fry 8 minutes a side, according to this recipe. Shallow frying, imo, is a much easier way to fry chicken. Deep frying is so messy.
This recipe calls for a cast iron skillet, but any kind of skillet would work.

I second this! The key is to make sure your oil doesn’t get too hot because of 2 things.... 1) burnt oil will smoke and set off your fire alarm (I’m a victim of this!!), 2) if your oil is too hot, you end up cooking the outside of the chicken and not the inside (raw chicken, yuck)

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 10:21:05 AM »
Also just to note, I haven’t seen buttermilk in Tesco but I have seen at asda and Lidl! I live in the highlands though so we have to strategise how we get “exotic” ingredients

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 11:33:52 AM »
I second this! The key is to make sure your oil doesn’t get too hot because of 2 things.... 1) burnt oil will smoke and set off your fire alarm (I’m a victim of this!!), 2) if your oil is too hot, you end up cooking the outside of the chicken and not the inside (raw chicken, yuck)

Yes, exactly, a candy thermometer comes in handy for this. Just wish I had a nicely seasoned cast iron skillet to cook it in. I've just never gotten around to buying one. They do make scrumptious  fried chicken!

Luckily, our main shop is asda, and they usually have buttermilk. It does make the coating nice and thick. Yum! Not sure if it would work, but I wonder if using single cream, or possibly double cream would work in place of buttermilk? I've never actually tried that.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 02:57:28 PM »
Does the "make your own buttermilk!" trick not work?  The one where you add a little bit of vinegar or lemon juice, or some other acid, to whole milk and let it thicken (I think it takes 5 minutes?).  Loads of websites offer that trick.

Edited to add...

My Cajun spice mix is:
3 parts paprika
2 parts garlic powder
1.5 parts salt
1 part onion powder
1 part cayenne
1 part ground black pepper
1 part oregano
1 part thyme

Makes 11.5 (whatever you're measuring your parts with). I use a half-teaspoon, so a single batch for me is 5.75 teaspoons (a little under two tablespoons, or about one ounce).  But I use it on ALL the things, so I usually make at least a double batch... sometime triple.  And last time, I did a quadruple batch, so haven't had to make it for a couple of weeks.   It's been nice.  :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 03:08:06 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 02:59:35 PM »
Does the "make your own buttermilk!" trick not work?  The one where you add a little bit of vinegar or lemon juice, or some other acid, to whole milk and let it thicken (I think it takes 5 minutes?).  Loads of websites offer that trick.
Oh yeah, I forgot about doing that. I've never actually tried it, but I'm guessing it would probably work.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 03:10:35 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about doing that. I've never actually tried it, but I'm guessing it would probably work.

I have tried it, but we use part skim, so there isn't enough fat in the milk to really work.  It needs to be full fat.  I can at least say that much.  As to whether it will work, even then, I don't know.   But lots of websites say it does.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 05:38:03 PM »
I have tried it, but we use part skim, so there isn't enough fat in the milk to really work.  It needs to be full fat.  I can at least say that much.  As to whether it will work, even then, I don't know.   But lots of websites say it does.
Ah yeah, we use semi skimmed too. But I have easy access to buttermilk anyway, so unless they were just out, I'd just stick with that. It's a good trick in a pinch though!

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 05:39:04 PM »

Edited to add...

My Cajun spice mix is:
3 parts paprika
2 parts garlic powder
1.5 parts salt
1 part onion powder
1 part cayenne
1 part ground black pepper
1 part oregano
1 part thyme

Makes 11.5 (whatever you're measuring your parts with). I use a half-teaspoon, so a single batch for me is 5.75 teaspoons (a little under two tablespoons, or about one ounce).  But I use it on ALL the things, so I usually make at least a double batch... sometime triple.  And last time, I did a quadruple batch, so haven't had to make it for a couple of weeks.   It's been nice.  :)
Ooh just saw the spice mix edit, will definitely try that! Thanks

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 07:25:52 PM »
My tesco has buttermilk, I use it all the time for pancakes.  I think we should consider ourselves lucky that it is an Indian thing.  That and semolina.  I love Cream of wheat.  Too bad the indians never started eating grits and Italian polenta is just not the same thing.  That said, I did make polenta with leftover grits the other day, they were runny and old and slightly weird so I just added tons of butter .  Anything is good with enough butter and these were no exception

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 08:33:31 PM »

Anything is good with enough butter and these were no exception

Haha, too right!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab