Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name on passport and BRP, later Citizenship query  (Read 1081 times)

• Liked: 3595
Re: Name on passport and BRP, later Citizenship query
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 05:18:23 PM »
I just hope they accept marriage certificate as enough proof (can you tell I am always skeptical?) because I know for people within the UK they have to formally change the name via Deedpoll and she never changed her name within the US.

She just began using mine from the start.

Not sure where you heard that, but you do not need to formally change your name by deed poll in the UK when you get married... unless the man decides to take his wife's name, or to double-barrel his name, in which case he may decide to change it by deed poll.

Your marriage certificate is all the evidence your wife should need to present in order to show a 'legal' name change.

So, all you need to do in order to change your name in the UK is just start using that name on your documents/bills etc... which your wife already did 5 years ago.

This is from the government website regarding changing your name by deed poll (https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll):

Marriage and civil partnership
You do not need a deed poll to take your spouse’s or civil partner’s surname. Send a copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate to record-holders, such as benefits offices. Your documents will be updated for free.

And from this Guardian article (https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/feb/06/changing-your-name-dos-and-donts):

Changing your name after marriage or a civil partnership
Your marriage or civil partnership certificate does not in any way indicate the surname you'll have after the ceremony yet you can use it to prove you have changed your name.

To change your surname to your spouse or civil partner's surname (or to double-barrel your joint surnames) on your passport or driving licence you need to fill in the relevant forms requesting the change and present your marriage certificate.

Financial institutions, such as banks and building societies – should also accept your marriage certificate as proof you have taken your partner's surname if you are a married woman or civil partner.

• Liked: 8
Re: Name on passport and BRP, later Citizenship query
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 10:16:42 AM »
Hi Ksand,

Thank you so much. This is the information I was looking for!

That offers so much reassurance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab