Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Now we’re living in the UK, how do we sort our US & UK Taxes..?  (Read 4824 times)

• Liked: 12
Re: Now we’re living in the UK, how do we sort our US & UK Taxes..?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2022, 04:55:16 PM »
And if you try TaxAct, bear in mind that they now require a US phone number (for account set-up only).  But if you don't have a US phone number, TaxAct says to use a free online text service such as https://www.textnow.com/ or https://textfree.us/.  (But then, someone's reported that they don't even use the phone number for account set-up, so hey-ho.)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2022, 10:37:08 PM »
We do have an American Chase Card, which used to have our US address on it until we moved to the UK after which we changed the address to our UK address.  We have made US$ purchases in America with this chase card bearing our UK address, so usually it works where we are not asked for the address when purchasing goods.

It was Turbo Tax’s software, that wouldn’t let us put in a UK address, so, just to get past that obstacle we tried putting back in our old US address. 

This was accepted by Turbo Tax, but not by Chase. Turbo Tax took funds from the cards account which were immediately pulled back by Chase.

I don’t feel confident trying your suggestion of a hybrid, half UK and half US address attempt..? I’m worried the bank might get suspicious and freeze the card altogether suspecting fraud..?

• Liked: 718
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2022, 10:48:56 PM »
Great tip, I’d forgotten about that trick.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2022, 10:31:01 AM »
I’ve found this address for Turbo Tax online…

2800 E Commerce Center Place,
Tucson,
AZ 85706

How should I enter the Credit Card Address…

123, MY STREET,
Tucson
AZ 85706

Where “123, MY STREET,” is the first line of my UK home address in place of “2800 E Commerce Center Place”..?

You also mention to do this with my UK Credit Card… We are using an American CHASE card, with my UK address associated with it, does it have to be a UK card..?

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2022, 03:08:20 PM »
NO it didn’t work,

Turbo Tax accepted the ‘Hybrid’ Address, CHASE didn’t

To be honest I would have been surprised if it had..?

It wouldn’t also surprise me if it didn’t work with ACT anymore. With Wells Fargo tightening up its ‘Foreign Address’ security, I would guess all other US banks and Credit Card companies will be doing the same..?

• Liked: 45
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2022, 06:09:10 PM »
NO it didn’t work,

Turbo Tax accepted the ‘Hybrid’ Address, CHASE didn’t

To be honest I would have been surprised if it had..?

It wouldn’t also surprise me if it didn’t work with ACT anymore. With Wells Fargo tightening up its ‘Foreign Address’ security, I would guess all other US banks and Credit Card companies will be doing the same..?

I know that with TaxAct, (I did this a week ago), I was able to do this with a U.S. card and U.K. address. I know that others have done the same, although with a U.K. card. Not filed with TurboTax before, but it was worth a try.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2022, 06:19:56 PM »
I know that others have done the same, although with a U.K. card.
Yep, it worked for me with TaxAct a couple weeks ago.

Sponsored Links