Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Current rules for ESTA'S  (Read 639 times)

• Liked: 2
Current rules for ESTA'S
« on: February 06, 2021, 10:45:01 AM »
Hi, I'm just wondering what others understand the current situation to be regarding ESTA's as I've found the US government websites a little confusing.
I (UKC) have no current plans to travel, but my wife's (USC, here on FLR) parents are elderly and my father in law is in a nursing home. If the worst was to happen my wife would want to be on the first flight over there and would want me to be with her. The circumstances would justify the flight and we'd both be exempt from the proclamations. However my ESTA expires this month, can I reapply now or would it just be rejected straight away? If my ESTA does expire and can't be renewed I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to fly?
Just wondering what other's views are.

• Liked: 4342
Re: Current rules for ESTA'S
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 11:05:29 AM »
They issue your ESTA at the airport at the moment.  They have to confirm you are married or the parent of a USC.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 12:19:10 PM »
Im in a similar situation,   I was going to go at Christmas but in the end deceided not to and my wife (USC) went back on her own to see her family.

I now have a flight booked to travel with my Wife in April to see family.  Mainly her grandparents who come April will be 102 and 97.  Although I can not find anything concrete I am not sure if I will be allowed to travel under the circumstances of seeing family.  at 102 hes still running around but we can offer a 3 weeks support for them and to be honest at 102 it possibly could be my last time I see him as I dont travel as often as my wife who goes back 4 - 5 times a year.

Any thoughts?  (o and my ESTA expired as well!)

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 03:01:51 PM »
Im in a similar situation,   I was going to go at Christmas but in the end deceided not to and my wife (USC) went back on her own to see her family.

I now have a flight booked to travel with my Wife in April to see family.  Mainly her grandparents who come April will be 102 and 97.  Although I can not find anything concrete I am not sure if I will be allowed to travel under the circumstances of seeing family.  at 102 hes still running around but we can offer a 3 weeks support for them and to be honest at 102 it possibly could be my last time I see him as I dont travel as often as my wife who goes back 4 - 5 times a year.

Any thoughts?  (o and my ESTA expired as well!)

Under the current restrictions in the UK, you need documentation showing that it is essential travel.

Also keep in mind the new hotel quarantine on the return.  It’s £1750 per person.  They add countries with a few hours notice.  It’s a big expense for most.  For my family it would be £7,000. That’s not chump change.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 03:19:36 PM »
Hi KFDANCER,

Thanks for the response,  that is what I fear needing documentation,  unsure if documentation to see a 102 grandparent would suffice as "essential" despite the worry it could be the last time!....  plus how to get documentation !  In terms of documentation that is only for me I believe?  as my wife (USC) has flown over XMAS during the current set of rules and had no issues.

Fortunatly at moment no requirement for hotel but as you say countries can be added at last minute.   Its expensive enough having to have 4 covid tests for the trip.  1 for out going, 1 before return flight and 2 when we would get back.    I am in the lucky position though that if hotel was introduced, although who knows with this government  that I can work from USA if needed rather than hole up in a hotel...  If I dont go my wife can just stay there till she feels time is right to come back...

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 03:51:51 PM »
The needing a reason to travel is for all U.K. residents.  I can’t just hop on a plane and go see my family without a reason.  ::)

Safe to say we are all over lockdown

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 04:06:32 PM »
heck I forgot my brother in law (wifes brother) is in a hospice in america same town as grandparents, was also going to spend time with him whilst we can!  mabe a letter from the hospice will help on that!...

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 09:09:52 PM »
The letter from the hospice would wk get you out.

The hotel quarantine would suck but if you have a work visa in the USA (sounds like you do) at least you can ride out the rules over here, there.

• Liked: 698
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 07:56:34 AM »
Under the current restrictions in the UK, you need documentation showing that it is essential travel.

Also keep in mind the new hotel quarantine on the return.  It’s £1750 per person.  They add countries with a few hours notice.  It’s a big expense for most.  For my family it would be £7,000. That’s not chump change.
It is £1750 for the 1st person. Additional people are extra but not as much. Children are under £400 each.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 07:59:20 AM »
The needing a reason to travel is for all U.K. residents.  I can’t just hop on a plane and go see my family without a reason.  ::)

Safe to say we are all over lockdown
Honestly, no one asked me my reason for travel just a few weeks ago. Things might be tighter now but no one that I heard speaking to anyone was asked their reasons for travel.

And my mandatory CDC form wasn't collected by anyone.

But he should definitely still have documentation just in case.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 08:06:38 AM »
The UK Travel site by the Government is very sparce in terms of international travel, it says only essential such as business and not for holidays, not much else at all! its very open for conjecture

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 06:35:16 PM »
Here are the additional charges for hotel quarantine after the £1750 for the first person.

The additional rate for one extra adult or a child aged over 12 is £650, while for a child aged five to 12, it is £325.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 07:42:43 PM »
Honestly, no one asked me my reason for travel just a few weeks ago. Things might be tighter now but no one that I heard speaking to anyone was asked their reasons for travel.

And my mandatory CDC form wasn't collected by anyone.

But he should definitely still have documentation just in case.

They tightened things further just after you left.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 11:48:18 PM »
Anyone travelled, needing an ESTA, since February?

My partner (british) and I  (dual citizen) are flying to the USA at the end of April - I need surgery and will be getting it back in the USA. My partner will be caring for me for the 1-3 weeks of recovery time. He hasn't been to the USA since 2018, so his ESTA is expired.

I don't think we'll have any trouble with the reason for travel, but I am slightly concerned about the ESTA being granted at the airport, and would greatly appreciate any advice anyone has.
Sept '11: premium service same-day tier 4 visa granted in NYC
July '13: tier 4 visa - applied from boston
October '14: FLRM - applied priority in sheffield office
March '17: FLRM 2 - applied priority in sheffield office
Sept 2019: IRL, priority at Croydon, granted same day
October 2019: submitted naturalisation application
January 2020: citizenship approved!
March 2020: last citizenship ceremony before covid :-O

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 08:49:36 AM »
Morning  I was applying for mine this week.  My wife's brother is in hospice now and we have received a letter from the hospice stating his illness / diagnose etc so have flights booked for APril  Hopefully from uk perspecive this is covered as part of essential travel under the options they give, unsure from usa side of things though!.     

The part you mention on ESTA, do you still apply on line but get some result back saying descision wont be made until you arrive at the departing airport?

Thanks in advace

Sponsored Links