Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bank and NHS statements...  (Read 306 times)

• Liked: 0
Bank and NHS statements...
« on: March 03, 2021, 05:40:38 PM »
Hello again!

Left a post yesterday about preparing for a marriage visa and was informed about getting my name on bank and NHS  statements.

I'm thinking that because I am not a citizen that it would be difficult to get my name on any of these statements.
My question is how would we go about getting my name on these statements?

Thanks for any help!

• Liked: 3595
Re: Bank and NHS statements...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 05:57:37 PM »
I'm thinking that because I am not a citizen that it would be difficult to get my name on any of these statements.
My question is how would we go about getting my name on these statements?

No, you don't need to be a citizen to get your name added to bills.

For utility bills, such as council tax, water, electricity, phone etc, you just call the utility companies and ask them to add your name to the account.

In fact, if you are already in the UK on a fiance visa, you really needed to get your name on bills as soon as you arrived in the UK, as you will need to provide official mail in your name covering the whole time you've lived together when you apply for FLR(M) after the wedding... so I'd get on that ASAP.

Once you have something in your name, ideally a council tax bill, you can then do the following, taking along your proof of address:
- register with an NHS GP
- open a bank account in your name
both of which will require your passport, BRP card, and proof of your UK address (i.e. a bill with your name on)

Opening a bank accounts can be tricky though, as some banks will be reluctant to let you open an account because you're new in the country. You just need to keep trying different banks and branches until you find one that will let you open an account.

Also, if you are planning to work, once you have your FLR(M) visa, you will need to apply for an NI number (which is a bit like a SSN and will ensure you pay the correct amount of income tax). You can find out how to do that here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

Not quite sure what you mean when you say NHS statements though.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 06:01:05 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 387
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 06:05:05 PM »
The best bet is to have your partner contact various utility providers (e.g. water company, electric company, gas company, and so on) and request that your name be added to the account and/or statements.  This will be your proof of address.  And once you have that, it will be easier to do things which require proof of UK residence (e.g. opening a bank account, registering with a GP, and so on).

You don't need to be a citizen to have your name added to utility statements, nor do you need to be a citizen to open a UK bank account or register with a GP once you have proof of address.

As the next few visas will require evidence of living together, we very strongly recommend that you get your name on as many bills/tax statements/NHS letters/etc as possible, and turn off electronic statements/paperless statements.  Keep everything posted to you as you'll need it later.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 09:02:29 PM »

[Once you have something in your name, ideally a council tax bill, you can then do the following, taking along your proof of address:
- register with an NHS GP
- open a bank account in your name
both of which will require your passport, BRP card, and proof of your UK address (i.e. a bill with your name on)]

What is a BRP card?

Not sure if I did the quotes right :')

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 09:17:14 PM »
The BRP card is your FLR(M) visa.

When you apply for FLR(M), instead of a sticker in your passport, your visa will be issued as a 30-month Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card. So, when you travel, or you need to provide proof of your immigration status, you will need to show both your passport and your BRP.

The BRP card looks like this:
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45050000/gif/_45050401_id_card466.gif

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab