Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Perfect Timing- Hello!  (Read 6442 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Perfect Timing- Hello!
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2021, 05:01:47 PM »
I must respectfully disagree on cost of living- again. You can't lump all of England together, just as you can't lump all of the US together. For me, the cost of living- moving from Massachusetts to England, would be much lower. I'm really not worried about salaries being lower because rent would be lower, etc. And I *should* eventually be able to get a decent job with a degree and experience. If you think salaries are 1/4 of what they are in the states, that's not true. I have looked at many many job postings all over England and have seen a lot for 30k pounds/yr. That is $41,900 approximately- which sounds pretty average for a job in the US... if not above in some areas, for an average job, non exec, no masters or PHD. We aren't all rich over here!

We will not have a car. We just won't. He has done just fine for 40 years without a license. I can rent one for the odd road trip if necessary. As for traffic, yes it is everywhere, but from my experience driving in southern England last summer it wasn't even close to how it is here. Zero traffic jams where I went. Again, every area is different. And people's opinions of what traffic is vary. haha- Look up an image of Boston highway traffic on a Tuesday at 7 am.

Good luck to everyone on a healthier/happier 2021!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2021, 06:43:19 PM »
I must respectfully disagree on cost of living- again. You can't lump all of England together, just as you can't lump all of the US together. For me, the cost of living- moving from Massachusetts to England, would be much lower. I'm really not worried about salaries being lower because rent would be lower, etc. And I *should* eventually be able to get a decent job with a degree and experience. If you think salaries are 1/4 of what they are in the states, that's not true. I have looked at many many job postings all over England and have seen a lot for 30k pounds/yr. That is $41,900 approximately- which sounds pretty average for a job in the US... if not above in some areas, for an average job, non exec, no masters or PHD. We aren't all rich over here!

We will not have a car. We just won't. He has done just fine for 40 years without a license. I can rent one for the odd road trip if necessary. As for traffic, yes it is everywhere, but from my experience driving in southern England last summer it wasn't even close to how it is here. Zero traffic jams where I went. Again, every area is different. And people's opinions of what traffic is vary. haha- Look up an image of Boston highway traffic on a Tuesday at 7 am.

No problem man, if you do end up over here you'll be in a unique position to know exactly how right or wrong either of us are.  I hope it works out and you eventually get to do that and it's all good. Maybe I sounded a bit negative because I was focusing on the things that I thought you were underestimating, without making the point that I actually enjoy living here, it's home now.  I've got a car and drive in that horrible traffic all the time, I've spent years driving on the epicentre of traffic jams, the M25 and I've made it through Ok.  You will too.  And my salary sucks, and yours will too but I've made it through Ok.    Did I mention that I have driven to Prague?  From my house?  That's hard to beat. 

• Liked: 387
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2021, 07:39:41 PM »
I must respectfully disagree on cost of living- again. You can't lump all of England together, just as you can't lump all of the US together. For me, the cost of living- moving from Massachusetts to England, would be much lower.

As someone who used to live in western MA for uni, and then eastern MA for work - those rents can be pretty darn pricey.  I wouldn't be too surprised if the cost of living is lower if you are in a situation where you are moving from an expensive place to a more rural place in the UK.  Having said that, I now live in London and MA seems super affordable compared to London - I never thought I would say MA was affordable; what has happened to the world?!  (also, I miss nor'easters, and I'm not even being funny...)

For the most part; however, for a random person moving from the US to UK - living costs will be higher.  I'm not familiar with the area of Leicester, so if you've done the maths and the cost of living will be lower - that's great because it's usually the other way around! 

The reason the higher cost of living is brought up and emphasized so strongly is that quite a few people don't realize this (or appreciate it fully) - and it ends up being a nasty surprise when they move over and can have significant consequences.  It could mean someone who is used to spending time with family and counts family gatherings as an important part of life can only afford to fly back to the US to visit said family once every 6 years, if at all.

I'm really not worried about salaries being lower because rent would be lower, etc. And I *should* eventually be able to get a decent job with a degree and experience. If you think salaries are 1/4 of what they are in the states, that's not true. I have looked at many many job postings all over England and have seen a lot for 30k pounds/yr.

While there are outliers, another thing we caution is that getting job in the UK can be difficult - a process that can take many many months.  One thing about the UK is that they love their UK experience.  Not experience, but UK experience.  You can have a degree and experience from the US, but that won't be a UK degree, nor UK experience.  I've experienced this, and it has been incredibly frustrating.  But it is what it is.  I think the only degree that the UK views with some kind of positivity from the start is a PhD or equivalent.  By and large, I've found that the UK believes their degrees are superior to the degrees awarded overseas, including the US.  It's not uncommon for people (already with US degrees) to get a higher UK one or load up on modules to satisfy certain job education requirements since the US degrees are treated with a bit of disdain.

Also, I don't think people are saying that the UK doesn't have high salaries.  The point is that typically, your salary will be low relative to what you get in the US for doing the same job, and that might be important to you.  The UK job postings that are £30k/year - in the US, you would probably be offered 3x times that for the same job.  I've been working and living here for about 10 years now and have gotten a raise every year.  My salary STILL is not at the same level it was when I left the US for doing practically the same job.  And that's even with my now 10 years added experience.   

Again, not to be argumentative or overly negative, but to caution.  I love the UK and only retain my US citizenship for aging US family members (I expect that in the future, I'll need to return to the US to help provide care) - but there are certain things the UK does that drive me crazy and have been a total pain in the proverbial.  It's why we advocate so much research - of course, nothing is guaranteed, but you can try and minimize surprise negatives as much as possible.  An international move is stressful enough; we don't want little things to pop up to add even more stress to the pot! 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2021, 08:43:33 PM »
I think on this forum, our fears are when people romanticise living in another country.  It’s not dreamy, it’s not sexy, it’s not adventurous, it’s not amazing.  It’s the same life. You work to pay your bills and hopefully have a bit leftover to enjoy your downtime.  ;D

Jimbo, I’ll always wonder if things would have been different if I had had kids in the USA.  Literally my pregnancies and child births. All I ever wanted was an epidural!  Lol.  Oh well, Tylenol is what I got. 

Blue bag, traffic has been AMAZING since March 2020 as we’ve been in lockdown nearly a year. I’ve literally put 2 tanks of gas in my car in a year! 

And yes, on Monday I schooled a recruitment agent that I am “qualified” even though I don’t have a U.K. f-ing education!!  Sorry, does my more than a decade experience in the U.K., my international work before that, my Bachelors Degree and my MBA mean f-all to you?!?  The answer was a simple yes.  <sigh> 

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2021, 08:14:51 AM »
I think on this forum, our fears are when people romanticise living in another country.  It’s not dreamy, it’s not sexy, it’s not adventurous, it’s not amazing.  It’s the same life. You work to pay your bills and hopefully have a bit leftover to enjoy your downtime.  ;D

Jimbo, I’ll always wonder if things would have been different if I had had kids in the USA.  Literally my pregnancies and child births. All I ever wanted was an epidural!  Lol.  Oh well, Tylenol is what I got. 

Blue bag, traffic has been AMAZING since March 2020 as we’ve been in lockdown nearly a year. I’ve literally put 2 tanks of gas in my car in a year! 

And yes, on Monday I schooled a recruitment agent that I am “qualified” even though I don’t have a U.K. f-ing education!!  Sorry, does my more than a decade experience in the U.K., my international work before that, my Bachelors Degree and my MBA mean f-all to you?!?  The answer was a simple yes.  <sigh> 
  Don't worry KfDancer, that recruitment agent will probably be out on his ear next week.  That's when I knew contracting was over in this country, when I started seeing all the agents I had listed as contacts on Linked In start to be made redundant. 

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2021, 01:46:23 PM »

As someone who has had multiple moves between the US and the UK (with a brief time out in the ROI for a year!) more times than I care to admit in the last two decades, you're going to find that it all evens out. In some ways it will be better, and in some ways it won't. Swings and roundabouts.

What life in the UK appears to be on paper is very, very different to the lived reality of it. What will make or break it for you is if the ways it ends up not as good are ways which you're willing to accept.

The posters giving you the heads up likely have the same experience of it that I do. Getting a job without UK is more difficult by miles and has only gotten harder over the past 20 years. Salaries are lower overall for equivalent sector work -- I'm on six figures in the US for a senior role that pays on average £50k with London weighting.

The employment market is shocking.

Ultimately the employment situation, and the property market, are why we went back to the US. And while I get what you're saying about MA being pricey, we're in the metro NYC area. It's not cheap, but it's more affordable and accessible than life in the UK.

I hope you do get to experience life in the UK. There are many, many things that I miss about it, which is why I had the contents of an entire Waitrose delivered yesterday.

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2021, 05:25:41 PM »
As someone who has had multiple moves between the US and the UK (with a brief time out in the ROI for a year!) more times than I care to admit in the last two decades, you're going to find that it all evens out. In some ways it will be better, and in some ways it won't. Swings and roundabouts.

What life in the UK appears to be on paper is very, very different to the lived reality of it. What will make or break it for you is if the ways it ends up not as good are ways which you're willing to accept.

The posters giving you the heads up likely have the same experience of it that I do. Getting a job without UK is more difficult by miles and has only gotten harder over the past 20 years. Salaries are lower overall for equivalent sector work -- I'm on six figures in the US for a senior role that pays on average £50k with London weighting.

The employment market is shocking.

Ultimately the employment situation, and the property market, are why we went back to the US. And while I get what you're saying about MA being pricey, we're in the metro NYC area. It's not cheap, but it's more affordable and accessible than life in the UK.

I hope you do get to experience life in the UK. There are many, many things that I miss about it, which is why I had the contents of an entire Waitrose delivered yesterday.

Oooo, what did you order?

I would really miss Warburtons crumpets!  Though it would help my waistline!  And yumyums!  Again, I’d be better without them. ;D

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2021, 05:44:38 PM »
I don't even start eating crumpets in the first place.  Whoosh, and then they would be gone.

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2021, 08:07:42 PM »
I don't even start eating crumpets in the first place.  Whoosh, and then they would be gone.

I have yet to try a yumnut.  It won’t help anything!  ;D

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2021, 08:16:18 PM »
I have yet to try a yumnut.  It won’t help anything!  ;D

This is the first I've heard of said yumnut.

I just Googled it.

Oh dear Lord.

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2021, 08:51:18 PM »
This is the first I've heard of said yumnut.

I just Googled it.

Oh dear Lord.

Yeah, I didn’t need to know either!  But the U.K. sucks at donuts so maybe they suck?  I try to tell myself that anyways.  Lockdown jean shrinkage is real!!!

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2021, 01:33:23 AM »
Oooo, what did you order?

I would really miss Warburtons crumpets!  Though it would help my waistline!  And yumyums!  Again, I’d be better without them. ;D

The entirety of the confection and biscuit aisles. All of the hobnobs. If there are none left there, that’s because I had them all shipped to America. Bourbons. Custard cremes. Bars and bars of Galaxy, Minstrels, Twirls, and several Easter eggs for the kids.
That, and bread that isn’t made of solid sugar.

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2021, 10:00:39 AM »
The entirety of the confection and biscuit aisles. All of the hobnobs. If there are none left there, that’s because I had them all shipped to America. Bourbons. Custard cremes. Bars and bars of Galaxy, Minstrels, Twirls, and several Easter eggs for the kids.
That, and bread that isn’t made of solid sugar.

The only thing on your list that I would struggle without is custard cremes!

I’m surprised you are struggling with bread.  Do you have a Publix or Whole Foods in your area?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2021, 10:07:44 AM »
I miss so much of the food from the US now I'm here. When I was there, I can't actually think of anything I missed from here, except maybe kind of sentimentally iykwim!

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2021, 12:17:49 PM »
I miss so much of the food from the US now I'm here. When I was there, I can't actually think of anything I missed from here, except maybe kind of sentimentally iykwim!

After being here so long, the only things that MUST be in the house is Ranch dressing, taco seasoning, and American peanut butter.  There’s loads that I miss but I live. 

Sponsored Links