Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Social Security Statement?  (Read 1684 times)

• Liked: 2
Social Security Statement?
« on: March 09, 2021, 12:44:12 PM »
Has anyone been able to get a social security statement this year? The London office told me to submit the request form to the US - but nothing has arrived! I did read somewhere that they have restricted what they send out due to Covid? I dont claim yet - just want to know if I have 40 credits.

• Liked: 1327
Re: Social Security Statement?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 01:42:21 PM »
If you have a US address, you can register with mySocialSecurity on the SSA.gov website and view your statement there.  If you don't have a US address, I'm not sure what you can do.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 03:06:25 PM »
My wife received a letter from SSA this week to do with her Medicare application that she made through the FBU at the London Embassy. The letter came from the SSA, Office of Central Operations, Baltimore, and it was to her here in England and was over 3 months after her application end of of November.  Just throwing this out there as an example that they do send mail to overseas addresses. She will be applying to start receiving her SS benefits in a few months time so that will be another test of the system. (We each have SSA online accounts that we set up before we left the USA so have been accessing our statements online)

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/fbu_email_enquiry/
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 04:37:12 PM »
Thanks. Is it OK to register for mysocialsecurity using a family members us address?

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 04:39:46 PM »
Thanks. Is it OK to register for mysocialsecurity using a family members us address?

I don’t see why not. It is a correspondence address they are after I think.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 674
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 12:35:40 AM »
Good luck!  It's worth the effort, and handy if you manage to pull it off as everything is horrifically backed up in the federal offices here due to Covid.

I tried for some time while overseas to register for an account, using my mail forwarding address in the USA.  It would not allow me to register. (It recognized it as a mail forwarding service.)  The system will try to take you though some serious ID stuff from your credit report to prove you are who you are.

I haven't been able to get it set up in the six months we've been back in the States, either. Not sure if it's because I have a precautionary credit freeze with all the big credit bureaus or not. I did phone their tech support and was told that I'm "Almost there" but that they couldn't tell me any more for security reasons. So if you can't set it up, maybe the following from them will help -

https://www.ssa.gov/help/global_statement7004.html

EDIT:   I just gave signing up another try (not having done so since before Christmas). Now it is going to send me a code by USPS that I have to use to log in. Supposedly it will be here in 10 days.  So, if you do try to sign up, be sure your inputted address is for someone who will be good enough to email that code to you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:46:07 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 08:02:21 AM »
Thank you! I have now done the same. Fingers crossed usps is working ;)

Sponsored Links