Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Preparing for ILR SET (M) application - things have changed?  (Read 13693 times)

• Liked: 8
Re: Preparing for ILR SET (M) application - things have changed?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2021, 01:16:51 AM »
Ah, yes, it can take a couple of months for the new Land Registry document to be issued.

I would just provide whatever paperwork you have to show the change... new mortgage agreement, anything else you have in writing that confirms the change of ownership etc.

I would also have your brother confirm the change of ownership in his letter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome thank you! That's a relief. I'll be getting him to confirm on the living situation so I'll add yhat too thank you :-)

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2021, 10:00:51 AM »
Hey folks going to ask my mother and brother to sign these documents just wanted to check it's all good before they do that. The blue bit is referring to my brother

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2021, 08:31:32 AM »
First test failed last Wednesday despite passing all the practice papers, he literally only failed because he kept doubting himself.

Next test booked for the 20th, feel like we might be cutting it close but it's the earliest we could find :-/

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2021, 08:36:24 AM »
First test failed last Wednesday despite passing all the practice papers, he literally only failed because he kept doubting himself.

Next test booked for the 20th, feel like we might be cutting it close but it's the earliest we could find :-/

It's a very tricky test. Best of luck for next time!  :)

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2021, 08:39:03 AM »
It's a very tricky test. Best of luck for next time!  :)
Thank you, do you know how long the applications are taking to process at the moment, can't help but think that if he doesn't pass this test we could end up falling over the deadline

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2021, 08:44:11 AM »
Thank you, do you know how long the applications are taking to process at the moment, can't help but think that if he doesn't pass this test we could end up falling over the deadline

It's vitally important to submit an application before the deadline, whatever happens. Worst case scenario, you could apply for another FLR and then vary the application to ILR once he has passed the test.
Hopefully that won't be necessary though.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2021, 08:49:22 AM »

The only deadline he has to meet is that the online application must be submitted by July 3rd (the expiry date of his BRP).

He can then book and attend biometrics after that, which may be a few weeks later, and then it can take up to 6 months for the application to be processed after biometrics.

However, someone said they were able to purchase the £800 24-hour Super Priority service recently so it looks like it is available again.

If he cannot pass the test before July 3rd, one option is to apply anyway, book biometrics for as late a date as you can (maybe mid-late August) and then hope he can pass the test between applying online and attending biometrics.

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2021, 10:09:39 AM »
The only deadline he has to meet is that the online application must be submitted by July 3rd (the expiry date of his BRP).

He can then book and attend biometrics after that, which may be a few weeks later, and then it can take up to 6 months for the application to be processed after biometrics.

However, someone said they were able to purchase the £800 24-hour Super Priority service recently so it looks like it is available again.

If he cannot pass the test before July 3rd, one option is to apply anyway, book biometrics for as late a date as you can (maybe mid-late August) and then hope he can pass the test between applying online and attending biometrics.

Thanks ksand, so he can stay in the country during that time? I thought once 3rd July hits, if he doesn't have his visa renewed he has to go back to USA and apply from there?

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2021, 10:13:32 AM »
Thanks ksand, so he can stay in the country during that time? I thought once 3rd July hits, if he doesn't have his visa renewed he has to go back to USA and apply from there?

You only need to have applied before the BRP expires, the decision doesn't need to have been made yet.
As long a valid application has been made he is protected under section 3 c. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/3c-and-3d-leave

The last thing you would want to do at this stage is start from the beginning again!

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2021, 10:42:48 AM »
You only need to have applied before the BRP expires, the decision doesn't need to have been made yet.
As long a valid application has been made he is protected under section 3 c. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/3c-and-3d-leave

The last thing you would want to do at this stage is start from the beginning again!
Oh thank heavens for that! Thank you appreciate your advice. I can't keep with all these rules even after doing these applications for 5 years .

Definitely not, I'm looking forward to next year when he can become a citizen and we can finally breathe!

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2021, 10:47:37 AM »
Oh thank heavens for that! Thank you appreciate your advice. I can't keep with all these rules even after doing these applications for 5 years .

Definitely not, I'm looking forward to next year when he can become a citizen and we can finally breathe!

Because he's married to a UKC, (presuming he meets the requirement re time out of the country) he'll be eligible as soon as you receive the ILR BRP, no need to wait a year.

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »
Because he's married to a UKC, (presuming he meets the requirement re time out of the country) he'll be eligible as soon as you receive the ILR BRP, no need to wait a year.
Whaaat? Sorry can you explain that to me again please? (Dyslexia) I'm not sure if I understood it correctly.

So immediately after he gets his ILR, he can apply for citizenship and not wait a whole year?

I thought you had to have ILR for 1 year before applying for citizenship.

He's been in the country with me since 2016 and only left the country to go on holiday, we've been on about 7 holidays in total since then, so about 7-8 weeks out of the country. Which I think meets the criteria?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2021, 11:50:26 AM »
I thought you had to have ILR for 1 year before applying for citizenship.

There are 2 different eligibility criteria for citizenship: one for those who are married to U.K. citizens and one for those who aren’t.

If he is married to a U.K. citizen he simply has to hold ILR (for any length of time).

If he is not married to a U.K. citizen he must hold ILR for 12 months before applying for citizenship.

He's been in the country with me since 2016 and only left the country to go on holiday, we've been on about 7 holidays in total since then, so about 7-8 weeks out of the country. Which I think meets the criteria?

He can have been out of the country for up to 9 months in total in the last 3 years.

So the residency requirements for citizenship when you are married to a UK citizen are:
- you hold ILR (for any length of time)
- you were physically in the UK exactly 3 years prior to your citizenship application date
- you have not been outside the UK for more than 270 days in the last 3 years
- no more than 90 of those days can have been in the final 12 months before applying

When calculating days outside the UK you do not count the day you left or the day you returned to the UK.

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »

There are 2 different eligibility criteria for citizenship: one for those who are married to U.K. citizens and one for those who aren’t.

If he is married to a U.K. citizen he simply has to hold ILR (for any length of time).

If he is not married to a U.K. citizen he must hold ILR for 12 months before applying for citizenship.

He can have been out of the country for up to 9 months in total in the last 3 years.

So the residency requirements for citizenship when you are married to a UK citizen are:
- you hold ILR (for any length of time)
- you were physically in the UK exactly 3 years prior to your citizenship application date
- you have not been outside the UK for more than 270 days in the last 3 years
- no more than 90 of those days can have been in the final 12 months before applying

When calculating days outside the UK you do not count the day you left or the day you returned to the UK.

That's brilliant! I'm a UK citizen and we haven't been abroad since 2019 (thanks covid) and in the past 3 years have been well under 270 days. I would say under 40 days between 2018 and 2019.

That's amazing news you've made my day! I'm going to make sure we apply immediately after the ILR is approved

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2021, 03:05:42 PM »

That's brilliant! I'm a UK citizen and we haven't been abroad since 2019 (thanks covid) and in the past 3 years have been well under 270 days. I would say under 40 days between 2018 and 2019.

That's amazing news you've made my day! I'm going to make sure we apply immediately after the ILR is approved

Just check your diary to make sure you were physically in the UK on the date 3 years exactly before the date you apply, as ksand mentioned and that's pretty much it!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab