Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Expat-friendly Crypto exchanges  (Read 684 times)

• Liked: 3
Expat-friendly Crypto exchanges
« on: April 18, 2021, 04:48:30 PM »
Which exchanges would be best for buying crypto as a US expat on the UK?

I know Coinbase is one of the main ones but I was hoping to avoid the whole KYC requirement (I know I still have to report crypto to the IRS and have every intention to do so) and also just not a fan of Coinbase as a platform.

What are others expats here using ? TIA!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Expat-friendly Crypto exchanges
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 05:25:37 PM »
I don’t recommend crypto currency.

They are completely unregulated and many banks are no longer allowing you to “withdrawal” from your crypto account into your normal bank account.  This is due to many of them being used for money laundering  - and being unregulated.

My husband is dying to play with them. I told him to take £1,000 and have some fun. Apparently that’s not enough. But I refuse to take the risk of taking real money and having it be worthless.  He does agree (I’m not a dictator and we make financial decisions together).

I will preface this that I’m in finance and am conservative with risk. For example, I will never own a new car.  I have AWESOME cars, but I let someone else take the financial hit.   ;)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 05:42:45 PM »
What's the KYC requirement? 

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 06:07:23 PM »
@KFDancer
I don’t recommend crypto currency...

Not asking for anyone’s opinions on crypto (esp someone in traditional finance or who is risk averse - no offence!) Crypto made my best friend a multi-millionaire in the last year and a half through her taking clever and calculated risks, so you’re not going to change my mind. Thanks anyway. ;)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:16:17 PM by londonbos »

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 06:59:51 PM »
Not asking for anyone’s opinions on crypto (esp someone in traditional finance or who is risk averse - no offence!) Crypto made my best friend a multi-millionaire in the last year and a half through her taking clever and calculated risks, so you’re not going to change my mind. Thanks anyway. ;)

Fair play!  Just like to warn of the risk of not being able to cash!  You do you!  And brag away when you are retired in a year!  I will look on longingly and be sentenced to a lifetime of my husband being grumpy that he’s not part of the club. ;D

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 02:46:18 AM »
Fair play!  Just like to warn of the risk of not being able to cash!  You do you!  And brag away when you are retired in a year!  I will look on longingly and be sentenced to a lifetime of my husband being grumpy that he’s not part of the club. ;D
Haha! Well I’m only fumbling my way through this  (not quite as clever as my friend), so it could all still go disastrously wrong! If I do manage to do make it through unscathed and make a bit of money, will share my experience. :) You never know, you might have a change of heart!

• Liked: 107
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 09:29:46 AM »
Coinbase
Binance
Swissborg
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 06:53:43 PM »
So what was the way that your friend became a multi-millionaire?  I ask out of curiosity, not to have a go at you.  And what's the KYC requirement?

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 07:07:30 PM »
So what was the way that your friend became a multi-millionaire?  I ask out of curiosity, not to have a go at you.  And what's the KYC requirement?

KYC is “know your customer”.  Having to provide info for opening an account (address, identification, ssn or nin, that kind of thing).  Not FATCA, but just standard checks.

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 08:39:57 AM »
KYC is “know your customer”.  Having to provide info for opening an account (address, identification, ssn or nin, that kind of thing).  Not FATCA, but just standard checks.
  I should have known that from the hours of training videos I had to do when working at Visa.  That and which fire extinguisher to use have fallen out of my brain. 

How does your husband want to get rich from Bitcoin?  Other than buying it and holding on to it, there's not much to do.  I wonder if people like the OP are talking about are buying and selling alt coins? 

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 09:22:14 AM »
  I should have known that from the hours of training videos I had to do when working at Visa.  That and which fire extinguisher to use have fallen out of my brain. 

How does your husband want to get rich from Bitcoin?  Other than buying it and holding on to it, there's not much to do.  I wonder if people like the OP are talking about are buying and selling alt coins? 

It’s one of those things “the guys at work” are always on about.  They all dabble.  No multi millionaires among them yet.

A guy I used to work with took out a £5,000 personal loan to invest. That was hard to watch. Last time I got an update, his £5k was worth £2k.

I am HAPPY for my husband to dabble. I thought £1,000 was a worthy sum. He wanted to play with at least £100,000. I can’t!  And he wouldn’t be able to either.  He says he wants to but he took a year to finally contract someone to do the fence. He doesn’t like spending money. ;D

Expat-friendly Crypto exchanges
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 12:23:59 PM »

My friend put in a sizeable investment and focused on alt coins. It’s not at all for the faint-hearted, but she has a knack for spotting trends and understanding fundamentals which has paid off. The pandemic helped as well as there were a lot of dips she could buy from.

I’m not sure the same level of quick earnings will be as “easy” again b/c of timing (and depends on your investment) but from what I’m learning from her, is it’s still possible to do well ... you just have to know what you’re doing.

Personally I’m focusing on buying and holding Bitcoin for long term and she’s showing me a couple alt coins for short term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:54:42 PM by londonbos »

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 06:47:45 PM »
I'm not sure I can get onboard with spending 10k on altcoins either.  Bitcoin will be around, I've been watching it for 10 years. 
You guys should check out the podcast called "The missing cryptoqueen" about a woman who started a fake coin and sold it using multi level marketing.  She made billions and then disappeared. 

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 02:46:16 PM »
I'm not sure I can get onboard with spending 10k on altcoins either.  Bitcoin will be around, I've been watching it for 10 years. 
You guys should check out the podcast called "The missing cryptoqueen" about a woman who started a fake coin and sold it using multi level marketing.  She made billions and then disappeared. 

My friend spent a LOT more on alt coins. But yeah, I hear you, it's not for everyone. I've heard about this woman but haven't heard the podcast. Will definitely check it out - sounds like a fascinating story!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab