Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Could husband potentially switch from spouse visa to pre-settled?  (Read 424 times)

• Liked: 5
Hi there,

We're due to renew my husband's spouse visa later this year in December which will put him at the halfway mark towards becoming a citizen.

I just found out that I'm eligible to become an Irish citizen through my grandmother (she's Irish, was born in Ireland - i have her birth certificate, etc). In order to do so I have to register as a foreign birth and then once completed I can get my Irish passport.

From what i understand, my husband would then potentially be able to apply for pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. However, I'm not sure whether this is feasible or desirable over going down the path we're currently on. I know the Irish passport will take a while due to the backlog they have. Does anybody know if this is worth pursuing?
Married: 29 Mar 2014
Visa Applying For: UK Settlement (Priority)
Online Application Submitted: 25 Dec 2018
Biometrics Appointment: 16 Jan 2019
Supporting Documents sent to NYC: 26 Jan 2019
Documents Delivered in NYC: 27 Jan 2019
"Application Is Being Prepared for ECO" Email: 1 Mar 2019
Further information needed Email: 5 Mar 2019
Email sent to ECO with further info: 6 Mar 2019 (no confirmation email back)
Decision Made Email: 29 March 2019
Passport Received: 2 April 2019
Decision: Approved

• Liked: 4985
Hi there,

We're due to renew my husband's spouse visa later this year in December which will put him at the halfway mark towards becoming a citizen.

I just found out that I'm eligible to become an Irish citizen through my grandmother (she's Irish, was born in Ireland - i have her birth certificate, etc). In order to do so I have to register as a foreign birth and then once completed I can get my Irish passport.

From what i understand, my husband would then potentially be able to apply for pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. However, I'm not sure whether this is feasible or desirable over going down the path we're currently on. I know the Irish passport will take a while due to the backlog they have. Does anybody know if this is worth pursuing?

Honestly, I’d wait to obtain the Irish passport prior to looking more into this path.  Personally, I think it’s highly unlikely you’ll have the passport before his current leave expires.

• Liked: 170
I’m guessing you’re also a British citizen? If that’s the case, British, not EU rules apply unless you use the Surinder Singh route. You wouldn’t be able to ‘switch’ to EU rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

Sponsored Links