Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can I buy a house while my ILR visa is being decided?  (Read 1144 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
Can I buy a house while my ILR visa is being decided?
« on: May 13, 2021, 12:28:47 PM »
I applied for ILR ( 31 March) using cash savings and had my biometrics done 27 April. We have a long wait ahead of us but I’m not super worried about it. We rent and are on a month to month tenancy, house next door is about to be listed and we are interested in buying it. What are the repercussions of moving while an application is being decided (literally from one house to the attached one next door), going from a rented house to getting a mortgage. We will obviously need to use the savings for the house.

Anyone know if I am just stuck waiting? Can we make moves to purchase a house using the savings? We could have applied via employment but cash savings was just what we have done before so we stuck with what we knew. Can I pay to expedite my application now? Anyone know anything? Please help!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Can I buy a house while my ILR visa is being decided?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 12:37:56 PM »
Will you need a mortgage?  That’ll likely be the sticking point.

I’d speak to the sellers and explain the situation. If they are okay with waiting for your visa to be issued, sounds like it could be perfect.  House sales aren’t fast here anyways! 

Technically you would need your cash to remain while awaiting your decision. But if you need a mortgage, they’ll need to see the visa anyways.

• Hi there.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 01:08:17 PM »
Yes we will definitely need a mortgage in order to get the house. I know that my husband could be on it without me if needed as well. We were really hoping to do this after the visa is issued.  I think I’m just concerned by all the docs we submitted are for the house we rent at the moment and I can’t imagine it would look very good to change that mid application?

Will you need a mortgage?  That’ll likely be the sticking point.

I’d speak to the sellers and explain the situation. If they are okay with waiting for your visa to be issued, sounds like it could be perfect.  House sales aren’t fast here anyways! 

Technically you would need your cash to remain while awaiting your decision. But if you need a mortgage, they’ll need to see the visa anyways.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 05:51:41 PM »
Yes we will definitely need a mortgage in order to get the house. I know that my husband could be on it without me if needed as well. We were really hoping to do this after the visa is issued.  I think I’m just concerned by all the docs we submitted are for the house we rent at the moment and I can’t imagine it would look very good to change that mid application?

It’s HIGHLY unlikely you will find a lender until you have your visa in hand.  Genuinely impossible. So I wouldn’t worry.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 03:35:29 AM »
We bought a house a couple of weeks before I went for my (in person) ILR appointment some years back. We had a small mortgage. The house was (relatively) dirt cheap. We used a mortgage broker (London and Country). Not all lenders would lend to us.

I’d contact a few banks (or mortgage broker) to see what they say about the current climate before proceeding too far with any offer. You’ll want an outline of what a bank would lend you in any case so you know how high you’d be able to offer anyway! It may be that they won’t lend to you, and it may be that they might?

Changing address while your application’s being processed: https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/AddressUpdate.ofml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Hi there.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 01:46:21 PM »

We bought a house a couple of weeks before I went for my (in person) ILR appointment some years back. We had a small mortgage. The house was (relatively) dirt cheap. We used a mortgage broker (London and Country). Not all lenders would lend to us.

I’d contact a few banks (or mortgage broker) to see what they say about the current climate before proceeding too far with any offer. You’ll want an outline of what a bank would lend you in any case so you know how high you’d be able to offer anyway! It may be that they won’t lend to you, and it may be that they might?

Changing address while your application’s being processed: https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/AddressUpdate.ofml

Thank you for that link, it is good to know that even if we had to move it would be ok. I won’t even be on an application before I get the visa. Our thought is for my husband to apply on his own for a mortgage, and we have a decent deposit (but that is tied up in the visa application as we went cash savings route).  So he can buy a house, as long as we leave the amount that we have set aside for the visa is what my understanding is at the moment. If we do that, I would then change address with the above form. Ideally we will wait until my visa is approved, because then we can both be on the mortgage and put down a much bigger deposit. Thank you!

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 01:49:10 PM »
Thank you for that link, it is good to know that even if we had to move it would be ok. I won’t even be on an application before I get the visa. Our thought is for my husband to apply on his own for a mortgage, and we have a decent deposit (but that is tied up in the visa application as we went cash savings route).  So he can buy a house, as long as we leave the amount that we have set aside for the visa is what my understanding is at the moment. If we do that, I would then change address with the above form. Ideally we will wait until my visa is approved, because then we can both be on the mortgage and put down a much bigger deposit. Thank you!

Perfect plan!!

• Liked: 48
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 10:53:44 AM »
I applied for ILR ( 31 March) using cash savings and had my biometrics done 27 April. We have a long wait ahead of us but I’m not super worried about it. We rent and are on a month to month tenancy, house next door is about to be listed and we are interested in buying it. What are the repercussions of moving while an application is being decided (literally from one house to the attached one next door), going from a rented house to getting a mortgage. We will obviously need to use the savings for the house.

Anyone know if I am just stuck waiting? Can we make moves to purchase a house using the savings? We could have applied via employment but cash savings was just what we have done before so we stuck with what we knew. Can I pay to expedite my application now? Anyone know anything? Please help!

We are in a very similar situation as you. Back in December, our landlord advised that he was selling the house so we decided to buy it from him. We thought my visa would be back in time before we wanted to apply for the mortgage, but it wasn't so we found broker that was certain he could find us a lendor comfortable with my immigration status. Luckily, he worked his magic, found us a lender, and we got our offer last week and with a decent rate. We formally applied for the mortgage on 5 May and got our offer on the 12th. It was all super quick and easy.

Does this forum allow me to mention companies? Just don't want it to get blocked - I'm happy to send you a private message with the details of the broker we used and the lender he referred us to. Equally happy to post here if that's allowed?
Settlement Spouse Visa (Priority)
Online application submitted:  27-March-2018
Biometrics:  30-March-2018
UKVI receipt of application: 16-April-2018
Decision made email: 16-May-2018 22BD
UPS return of passport: 21-May-2018
APPROVED!!!

FLR(M)
Applied online: 13 January 2021
Biometrics/documents scanned & uploaded: 2 February 2021
Decision received: 04 June 2021
Decision: Approved

ILR Set(M) - Super Priority
Applied online: 15 August 2023
Biometrics: 16 August 2023
Decision email: 16 August 2023 - Approved!
BRP Received: 21 August 2023

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 09:05:42 PM »
We are in a very similar situation as you. Back in December, our landlord advised that he was selling the house so we decided to buy it from him. We thought my visa would be back in time before we wanted to apply for the mortgage, but it wasn't so we found broker that was certain he could find us a lendor comfortable with my immigration status. Luckily, he worked his magic, found us a lender, and we got our offer last week and with a decent rate. We formally applied for the mortgage on 5 May and got our offer on the 12th. It was all super quick and easy.

Does this forum allow me to mention companies? Just don't want it to get blocked - I'm happy to send you a private message with the details of the broker we used and the lender he referred us to. Equally happy to post here if that's allowed?

We don’t care!  If positive, go for it!

• Liked: 48
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 10:04:22 AM »
We don’t care!  If positive, go for it!
Haha brilliant!

The broker we used is called SPF Private Clients. You can complete their enquiry form online or give one of their offices a ring!

Our broker recommended NatWest. He said they are one of the very few who will provide an offer where one spouse is a foreign National and the other is a British National.

Give them a shout. I’m sure they will be able to help you as well!

Settlement Spouse Visa (Priority)
Online application submitted:  27-March-2018
Biometrics:  30-March-2018
UKVI receipt of application: 16-April-2018
Decision made email: 16-May-2018 22BD
UPS return of passport: 21-May-2018
APPROVED!!!

FLR(M)
Applied online: 13 January 2021
Biometrics/documents scanned & uploaded: 2 February 2021
Decision received: 04 June 2021
Decision: Approved

ILR Set(M) - Super Priority
Applied online: 15 August 2023
Biometrics: 16 August 2023
Decision email: 16 August 2023 - Approved!
BRP Received: 21 August 2023

• Hi there.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 08:27:24 PM »
Thank you! I have been with NatWest since 2002, when I cam to the UK as an exchange student and met my husband. He will be very happy to know that we can continue to look.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 09:29:58 PM »
Jackie, Halifax also does mortgages before ILR.  But I’d ALWAYS recommend a broker.  They do the work and the lender pays their fee.

Sponsored Links